Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard

Default Installing a steel beam

I need to install a steel beam that is about 20' long. The beam is a
w10x30 so that make it 600 pounds. The beam will be supporting the
main floor (installed in the basement). How does one lift such a beam
in place? Obviously I cannot use a crane. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

"Richard" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to install a steel beam that is about 20' long. The beam is a
w10x30 so that make it 600 pounds. The beam will be supporting the
main floor (installed in the basement). How does one lift such a beam
in place? Obviously I cannot use a crane. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Richard

Floor jacks, and lots of 4x4s, 6x6's, and the like.

A friend of mine had to jack up his house after the foundation collapsed on
one side. He used 5 floor jacks to do the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"ameijers" wrote

Retrofitting an existing house? Building yourself with a beam you had
sitting around? More details, please. Why can't you use a crane?

I think it's because he can't get the crane in the basement.

Heeeeeeeere's yer sign.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 23 May 2006 20:59:53 -0700, "Richard" wrote:

I need to install a steel beam that is about 20' long. The beam is a
w10x30 so that make it 600 pounds. The beam will be supporting the
main floor (installed in the basement). How does one lift such a beam
in place? Obviously I cannot use a crane. Any suggestions?

Glue empty coke bottle to it, and then flood the basement.
Posted to alt.home.repair
IBM5081

A pair of duct lifts should be able to handle this as well. Like a
manual forklift using a manual winch and wireline. They are rentable
and come in several heights.
We placed a 30' glu-lam ridge beam for a small shed this way. Of
course, it was not in a basement so height was not a restriction.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Richard wrote:

I need to install a steel beam that is about 20' long. The beam is a
w10x30 so that make it 600 pounds. The beam will be supporting the
main floor (installed in the basement). How does one lift such a beam
in place? Obviously I cannot use a crane. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Richard

You don't give many details on the how and why, but 600# is fairly
insignificant rigging wise.

The basement location and lack of crane access implies a retrofit
situation and relatively low headroom. You don't give an indication of a
need to slip the beam in horizontally to get it on top of a foundation
either.

If it's just a matter of lifting the beam into position it's pretty
easy. Rent or borrow some pipe frame scaffolding, enough to setup two
independent units. Setup a unit at each end of the beam straddling it
with the X brace left out of one side for lifting clearance. At the 300#
each scaffold will hold, a single X brace on the other side is plenty.

Rest a good scaffold deck plank (like an Alumaplank) across the top of
each scaffold tower. Wrap a quality 4' lifting sling around the center
of each scaffold plank and hang an inexpensive ratchet "come-a-long"
underneath. The 300# load is well within the decking planks capacity as
this is equivalent to one big construction guy and some tools.

Attach the "come-a-longs" to the beam and hoist it as far as they will
go. Insert more scaffold planks on the next level below the beam height
that will give enough clearance for a small scissors type auto jack
(better bearing surface than a hydraulic jack) resting on a piece of
2x10 to spread the load. Setup a scissors type jack on the 2x scrap on
plank under the beam. Setup 2 foot long or so 2x10 cribbing sections
under the beam along side the jack and just a bit higher.

Lower the "come-a-longs" to place the beam on the cribbing. Remove the
"come-a-longs", slings and upper scaffold planks. Use the jacks to
slowly raise the beam the rest of the way into position adding cribbing
as you go for safety. Secure the beam in place and then remove the
jacks, cribbing, scaffolding, etc.

Or just get some pizza, beer and about 10 guys to just pick the thing up
at 60# per person.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
klaatu

On 23 May 2006 20:59:53 -0700, "Richard" wrote:

I need to install a steel beam that is about 20' long. The beam is a
w10x30 so that make it 600 pounds. The beam will be supporting the
main floor (installed in the basement). How does one lift such a beam
in place? Obviously I cannot use a crane. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Richard

Richard, I hve a similar project now. Your question has me seeking
an elegant solution. I have to lift a lesser load than you however, in
that the steel plates being lifted are 3/8 X 6 X 15' and weigh 120# or
so. So this is what I am doing. I will drill a 1/4 " dia. hole above
the center of the position of the beam, lay down some 2 X 8 stradling
the floor joists, thread the wire from a winch to the plate below and
attach it to the plate using a thimble and a cable clamp thru a hole
predrilled. And then I will crank away and hope! I will probably use
some temporary bracing on the plate's slow journey upward.
If you go to HD you can see the load numbers on steel cable. In
my case a 1/8 cable is rated for 340#. So I should have a safety
factor of 3.
Btw, as a poi, when using a cable clamp, the saddle should be on the
load side and the short loose end have the U-bolt.
A way to remember this is "Never saddle a dead horse". This is an
old stage rigger's expression.