Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

Default Why is my wall wet?

I have a one room seasonal cottage in Rochester NY. The walls and ceiling
are cedar. The ceiling is attached directly to the roof; there is
insulation and a vapor barrier, but no air space. It is about 15' high at
the peak.
I have been in there a few times, but it hasn't been used since last fall.

Today I got a ladder out to change the smoke detector battery, and noticed
it got very warm and humid as I went up. The smoke detector actually had
water on it, and the top couple feet of the wall (up near the peak) was
wet.

It is right next to the chimney, so the first thing I thought of was that
the flashing was leaking, but I would think that the water would have come
further down the wall and I don't see why the smoke detector would have
water on it.

Instead I figured that there were a few warm humid days followed by some
cold weather. The warm humid air got trapped near the ceiling and condensed
when the roof cooled off.

Does this make any sense, or should I get a roofer out? Any other ideas?
There was a major roof leak before I bought the place, but it was reroofed
and seems to have been fine since.
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Toller wrote:
[...]

I would want to check out any exhaust fans or chimneys or exhaust gas
vents in the area to make sure you don't have a leak or that someone did not
terminate a bath or kitchen vent to an enclosed area.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

Toller wrote:
[...]

Yea - I would think venting is needed. Like JM said, make sure no
exhaust dumps into that room. Then see if you can add some passive
venting to the room. Passive so that it can still vent when unoccupied.
My suspicion is that its just condensation from somewhere, somehow. For
such a limited use place I suspect you do not want to run a dehimidifier
or AC all the time.

I too have a cottage. No AC. Its designed so soffit vents into the
structure itself. There is no attic, no insulation, no ceiling. From
inside second floor all you see is the underside of the roof sheathing
and rafters. Yea, we may get a few buggies from time to time but its a
very rustic cottage with good ventilation!

Cinder Block Retaining Wall Question [email protected] Home Repair 5 September 15th 05 06:12 PM
Deck Set on Retaining Wall jacktripper Home Repair 6 July 22nd 04 06:22 PM
Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 10:54 AM
Dry Rock Retaining Wall RedHeadAllDay Home Repair 4 August 18th 03 02:12 PM
Retaining Wall in front of another Retaining Wall MCL Home Repair 0 July 11th 03 03:48 PM