Posted to alt.home.repair
Bert Byfield

Default DIY Willow Tree Chopping?

I have a huge willow tree that is emitting sawdust out the bottom, and
has some dead limbs. Is this a dead tree?
Say I am too cheap to just pay the pros to cut it down. What is the
best way to get up there to cut limbs off this monster with my 16"
electric chainsaw?
I have thought about huge ladders, tree-house 2x4 steps nailed to the
tree, renting a lift, getting a tree-guy to just chop it off above 22
feet and disposing of the mess myself, so on.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"Bert Byfield" wrote in message
. 167...
I have a huge willow tree that is emitting sawdust out the bottom, and
has some dead limbs. Is this a dead tree?
Say I am too cheap to just pay the pros to cut it down. What is the
best way to get up there to cut limbs off this monster with my 16"
electric chainsaw?
I have thought about huge ladders, tree-house 2x4 steps nailed to the
tree, renting a lift, getting a tree-guy to just chop it off above 22
feet and disposing of the mess myself, so on.

Give it a try. The tree guys I know love going up and taking the branches
off; they hate cleaning it up. You ought to be able to save quite a bit
that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob S.

Bert Byfield wrote:
I have a huge willow tree that is emitting sawdust out the bottom, and
has some dead limbs. Is this a dead tree?
Say I am too cheap to just pay the pros to cut it down. What is the
best way to get up there to cut limbs off this monster with my 16"
electric chainsaw?
I have thought about huge ladders, tree-house 2x4 steps nailed to the
tree, renting a lift, getting a tree-guy to just chop it off above 22
feet and disposing of the mess myself, so on.

You don't give enough information.
How big? (Huge doesn't fit a willow tree)
How close to a building?
Any overhead wiring nearby?
Have you ever cut a tree down before?

Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E

"Bert Byfield" wrote in message
. 167...
I have a huge willow tree that is emitting sawdust out the bottom, and
has some dead limbs. Is this a dead tree?
Say I am too cheap to just pay the pros to cut it down. What is the
best way to get up there to cut limbs off this monster with my 16"
electric chainsaw?
I have thought about huge ladders, tree-house 2x4 steps nailed to the
tree, renting a lift, getting a tree-guy to just chop it off above 22
feet and disposing of the mess myself, so on.

A couple of points of concern; the chainsaw cord could be a hazard to life
and limb in the event that one of the larger branches gets a mind of its own
and you have to move quickly. Secondly, do you have any idea the volume of
debris this tree is going to produce? It will far exceed what you are
imagining, is my bet. It usually works out that way. Unless you can burn
it on site the hauling of it could be a summer long project (yea, an
exaggeration).

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

It is dead if it has no leaves, sawdust could be carpenter ants, you can
use poison. If you have never cut big limbs up in the air now is not a
time to learn. My tree cutter was thrown off the tree on my last tree he
cut, luckily he had a saftey harness on, a branch came bach and hit the
tree and shook it, he was hurt but could of been dead.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bert Byfield

You don't give enough information.
How big? (Huge doesn't fit a willow tree)

Seventy feet?

How close to a building?

Near house and garage, but the tree is top-heavy in the rearward to
the field direction.

Any overhead wiring nearby?

Nothing. It's on the opposite side.

Have you ever cut a tree down before?

I've cut down a dead crab apple tree, and some half-grown black
walnut trees, and some half-grown maples. I've only got an electric
16” but I’ve been through trunks about the same size with it. The
height is my problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bert Byfield

A couple of points of concern; the chainsaw cord could be a
hazard to life and limb in the event that one of the larger
branches gets a mind of its own and you have to move quickly.

Moving quickly 30 feet up would be a problem, for sure. I plan my
cuts pretty carefully, but it would be nice to be able to run. ;-)

Secondly, do you have any idea the volume of debris this tree is
going to produce? It will far exceed what you are imagining, is
my bet. It usually works out that way. Unless you can burn it on
site the hauling of it could be a summer long project (yea, an
exaggeration).

I cut down a group of (wild) black walnuts that were blocking the
sun from my back yard, and cut it all up, so I know what you mean.
Summer-long might not be an exageration. But I can stack it out of
the way at the start.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bert Byfield

It is dead if it has no leaves, sawdust could be carpenter ants,

It has leaves. Might it be okay?

you can use poison.

I’ll look it up.

If you have never cut big limbs up in the air
now is not a time to learn. My tree cutter was thrown off the tree
on my last tree he cut, luckily he had a saftey harness on, a
branch came bach and hit the tree and shook it, he was hurt but
could of been dead.

I have never cut big limbs up in the air... Might it be affordable
to rent one of those lift vehicles, so I could reach the limbs where
they are more manageable?

Posted to alt.home.repair

ahh tree limbs can die from a variety of reasons.

cut out the dead carefully and use ant spray to kill the ants.

theres a good chance the tree will be fine

the ant spray comes in gallon sealed jugs with pump and wand.

just spray ant areases and espically any openings

carpenter ants live in old dead wood, espically if its wet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob S.

Bert Byfield wrote:
You don't give enough information.
How big? (Huge doesn't fit a willow tree)

Seventy feet?

How close to a building?

Near house and garage, but the tree is top-heavy in the rearward to
the field direction.

Any overhead wiring nearby?

Nothing. It's on the opposite side.

Have you ever cut a tree down before?

I've cut down a dead crab apple tree, and some half-grown black
walnut trees, and some half-grown maples. I've only got an electric
16" but I've been through trunks about the same size with it. The
height is my problem.

Ok, right up front I'll say if you're unsure of yourself, leave it to
someone who knows what they're doing. You can get seriously hurt, or
cause property damage, and saving a few bucks is not worth it.

That being said, I am not a pro but have cut down quite a few large
trees of the size you mention. I never cut limbs in the air, I fall
the complete tree and cut it up on the ground. If you don't have room
to fall it, leave it to the pro's.

I start with a thorough evaluation of the tree. Is it leaning? Is it
top heavy with limbs to one side? Does it have a weak spot? Am I
confident I can get it to fall where I want it? When I'm satisfied
with those answers, I tackle it.

I start by going up an extension ladder against the tree and tying 2
long heavy ropes as far up the trunk as I can get. I stretch them out
and tie them off to secure points in the direction of the fall - away
from the nearby buildings. The purpose of this is prevent the tree
from falling backward when you make your base cuts. If possible, I
even use a come-along to put pressure in the direction of the fall. I
then make the standard v cut halfway through the tree in the direction
of the fall, followed by a straight cut from the back side about 2-3
inches above the v point.

But to be honest, I'd never attempt that type of work with an electric
chainsaw. I'd borrow or rent a 18-20 inch gas model.

Bob S.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bert Byfield wrote:
I have a huge willow tree that is emitting sawdust out the bottom, and
has some dead limbs. Is this a dead tree?
Say I am too cheap to just pay the pros to cut it down. What is the
best way to get up there to cut limbs off this monster with my 16"
electric chainsaw?
I have thought about huge ladders, tree-house 2x4 steps nailed to the
tree, renting a lift, getting a tree-guy to just chop it off above 22
feet and disposing of the mess myself, so on.

You might want to post something about this on the about.com forestry
forum.

The guys there could give you tips on whether the tree is dead or not.
They will also strongly try to discourage you from cutting limbs like
this from a "big ladder."

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob S.

Bert Byfield wrote:
It is dead if it has no leaves, sawdust could be carpenter ants,

It has leaves. Might it be okay?

A full canopy of leaves or sparse? If full canopy, the tree is probably
worth saving. Can you tell where the sawdust is coming from
(high/low/ground level)?

you can use poison.

I'll look it up.

If it's carpenter ants most any insecticide sprayed at their entrance
will take care of them. If it's beetles higher up the tree, it may be
a problem to control them.

Bob S.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

Bert Byfield wrote in
. 166:

I cut down a group of (wild) black walnuts that were blocking the
sun from my back yard, and cut it all up, so I know what you mean.

MAN,woodworkers all over are aghast at the loss of such valuable wood!
I suspect there would have been people bidding to remove black walnut trees
from your yard,willing to PAY you for them;unless they were too small for
cutting into useable planks.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

wrote:
Bert Byfield wrote:
I have a huge willow tree that is emitting sawdust out the bottom, and
has some dead limbs. Is this a dead tree?
Say I am too cheap to just pay the pros to cut it down. What is the
best way to get up there to cut limbs off this monster with my 16"
electric chainsaw?
I have thought about huge ladders, tree-house 2x4 steps nailed to the
tree, renting a lift, getting a tree-guy to just chop it off above 22
feet and disposing of the mess myself, so on.

I'd guess it is hollow since it is emitting sawdust and has dead branches. willows are not long lived trees and the bigger ones are probably usually hollow. if you elect to cut it down yourself, hollow trees are dangerous. i think the advice to get pro help is good.

that said, here are a few tips. if it is an old suspect tree with a
lot of lean, the danger is what a logger would call a "barber chair".
that happens when the trunk splits prematurely leaving a high splint of
wood which acts as a fulcrom and throws the butt up in the air. this
has killed people. the solution is to cut a very deep notch, like 1/2
of the diameter.

you will also have little control over a dead tree because there isn't
enough intergrity in the wood to create a hinge. the hinge can snap
prematurely and the tree will fall whereever it is heaviest.

and then there is the danger of it setting back on you...this happens
when you misjudge the lean or a gust of wind comes up and tips the tree
backward of where you want it. since you have opened up a kerf, the
tree has some room to come back. your saw will be pinched. it's a
very helpless feeling.

so...maybe finding someone to get it on the ground for you is good
advice. good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a saw get pinched once after a wind gust, up till then it had
been dead calm, and if the tree fell the wrong way it would of taken
out the power lines to 2 homes...

I abandoned the saw, and with 2 of us managed to pull it over the right
way.

stressful city saw got smashed. saved so much doing it myself with
helper sawcost was trivia

Of course a PRO working at my other home brought down a limb into a
15,000 volt main power line, with a ball of fire and a loud BOOM the
line came down and left a mark on the asphalt till the street was
repaved... luckily no one was hurt or killed...

theres a old trick, toss weight tied to fish line up high in tree, use
fishline to pull up rope. then heavier rope.

you can increase dramatically the leverage by pulling higher in the
tree making it easier to drop it where you want.

if the tree is in a tight spot having multiple ropes and even a rope
tied to a car frame can help get it down where you want it.

such a project isnt to be taken lightly...

Posted to alt.home.repair

theres a old trick, toss weight tied to fish line up high in tree, use
fishline to pull up rope. then heavier rope.

you can increase dramatically the leverage by pulling higher in the
tree making it easier to drop it where you want.

if the tree is in a tight spot having multiple ropes and even a rope
tied to a car frame can help get it down where you want it.

Any tree I take down near my house, and I mean any tree, no matter how
unlikely it is to drop "wrong," gets a strong line around it that is
then lashed to the hitch of my rig and pulled in the direction I want
to drop it.

Of course, even the best of us make mistakes, and I am nowhere near the
best....my worst was the day I realized as I was making my back-cut
that I had put the face cuts on exactly the opposite side that they
should have been on.

Luckily, it was only a 15-footer about the diameter of my thigh....

Christmas tree won't drink water Finite Guy Home Repair 43 December 21st 19 11:06 PM
Black Walnut Question tdstr Woodworking 19 April 12th 06 08:42 PM
repairing a tree with hole in it Danny Home Repair 8 October 10th 04 02:01 PM
unfortunate Lazarus Long Woodworking 32 April 20th 04 02:44 PM
Tree identification. Al Kyder Woodturning 2 September 17th 03 05:13 PM