Posted to alt.home.repair
tenplay

Default which lawn fertilizer to use?

I have been trying to upgrade my front lawn. Last month I reseeded a
10'x10' bald area, and it's starting to look pretty good. I might even
mow the area for the first time next week. I've been reading that one
has to fertilize the lawn regularly to nourish the lawn and discourage
weeds. Someone suggested that the best fertilizer would be a 16x16x16
mix with lime. Is that right? Would it be ok to apply it to the newly
reseeded area too? I live in Western Washington, where we get more rain
than most. In fact it's drizzling right now. Thanks for any advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

You dont have to fertilise in a wet area to have a good lawn rain does
that, fertilise and it will grow twice as fast. I rarely fertilise , I
did not last year and I had to cut only every month in heavy shade. I
have fertilised and made it grow where it needed 6 cuttings in a month.
Don`t fertilise if you must till after a few cuttings, I would not use
weed killer till its needed , let the lawn get strong .

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

I suggest that you contact your local county extension office. They
will give you free, good advice without being tainted with the pressure to
sell you something.

In my area, it is best to fertilize in the fall and maybe a little in
the spring but nothing during the summer. But each area is different. The
lawn products people want you to fertilize early and often, often causing
more damage than good for your lawn. Too much fertilizer or fertilizer at
the wrong time is a bad ideal and hard on a lawn, even though it may make it
nice an green and healthy looking for a week or two.

You should also have your soil tested as that will provide the
information the country extension agents can use to advise you. They will
be able to help you out with that as well.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
"tenplay" wrote in message
news
I have been trying to upgrade my front lawn. Last month I reseeded a
10'x10' bald area, and it's starting to look pretty good. I might even mow
the area for the first time next week. I've been reading that one has to
fertilize the lawn regularly to nourish the lawn and discourage weeds.
Someone suggested that the best fertilizer would be a 16x16x16 mix with
lime. Is that right? Would it be ok to apply it to the newly reseeded
area too? I live in Western Washington, where we get more rain than most.
In fact it's drizzling right now. Thanks for any advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What ever you do leave your clippings to go back to the soil.A
fertilizer with weed killer to kill say dandelions also kills clover.
Clover is a legume that takes nitrogen from the air and adds it to your
soil. Clover is good unless the bees are a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

I fertilize in the fall only. In the fall grass puts its energy into root
growth, in spring blade growth. Sure if you fertilize in the spring your
lawn will have darker green color, but you will be mowing frequently. In
damp climates lots of blade growth can also lead to mildew and fungus
problems. There also tends to be more weed growth in the spring so avoid
helping them out. Sometimes I apply broadleaf weed killer in the spring if
the dandelions and clover are getting out of control.
"tenplay" wrote in message
news
I have been trying to upgrade my front lawn. Last month I reseeded a
10'x10' bald area, and it's starting to look pretty good. I might even mow
the area for the first time next week. I've been reading that one has to
fertilize the lawn regularly to nourish the lawn and discourage weeds.
Someone suggested that the best fertilizer would be a 16x16x16 mix with
lime. Is that right? Would it be ok to apply it to the newly reseeded
area too? I live in Western Washington, where we get more rain than most.
In fact it's drizzling right now. Thanks for any advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

tenplay wrote:

I have been trying to upgrade my front lawn. Last month I reseeded a
10'x10' bald area, and it's starting to look pretty good. I might even
mow the area for the first time next week. I've been reading that one
has to fertilize the lawn regularly to nourish the lawn and discourage
weeds. Someone suggested that the best fertilizer would be a 16x16x16
mix with lime. Is that right? Would it be ok to apply it to the newly
reseeded area too? I live in Western Washington, where we get more rain
than most. In fact it's drizzling right now. Thanks for any advice.

When you mow use a mulching mower. Do NOT bag the clippings.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob S.

Jeff wrote:

I fertilize in the fall only. In the fall grass puts its energy into root
growth, in spring blade growth. Sure if you fertilize in the spring your
lawn will have darker green color, but you will be mowing frequently. In
damp climates lots of blade growth can also lead to mildew and fungus
problems. There also tends to be more weed growth in the spring so avoid
helping them out. Sometimes I apply broadleaf weed killer in the spring if
the dandelions and clover are getting out of control.
"tenplay" wrote in message

Most county agents will not recommend fall fertilizing. It promotes new
growth just prior to freezes which is detrimental to grasses. It's
best to let the grass toughen up for the winter months.
If your lawn has been kept in good shape over the summer, it does not
need "root energy" in the fall. (Contrary to fertilizer manufacturers
literature since they want year round sales).

Bob S.
(A master gardener who works with the county agent)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"tenplay" wrote in message news
I have been trying to upgrade my front lawn. Last month I reseeded a
10'x10' bald area, and it's starting to look pretty good. I might even
mow the area for the first time next week. I've been reading that one
has to fertilize the lawn regularly to nourish the lawn and discourage
weeds. Someone suggested that the best fertilizer would be a 16x16x16
mix with lime. Is that right? Would it be ok to apply it to the newly
reseeded area too? I live in Western Washington, where we get more rain
than most. In fact it's drizzling right now. Thanks for any advice.

I would not try to mix them. Just apply one, then the other. Use a time release fertilizer. The
regular lawn fertilizers should work fine. The 16x16x16 is likely not time-release. I use a
lighter than recommended dose, a little more often than recommended. Don't fertilize much
during the summer unless you will keep up on watering. Water heavily once a week rather
than more often, to make the roots grow deeply. Fertilizing during this wet spell should be good,
but don't fertilize the new area until it's had a few mowings. And don't mow it until it is 3" tall.
I control weeds with weed-b-gon in a handheld spray bottle. Just spray the weeds.
Don't forget to use a fall fertilizer in the fall - that's the most important time to fertilize.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"tenplay" wrote in message

Most county agents will not recommend fall fertilizing. It promotes new
growth just prior to freezes which is detrimental to grasses. It's
best to let the grass toughen up for the winter months.
If your lawn has been kept in good shape over the summer, it does not
need "root energy" in the fall. (Contrary to fertilizer manufacturers
literature since they want year round sales).

Bob S.
(A master gardener who works with the county agent)

Just about every credible reference I've ever seen recommends
fertilizing in the fall. I do it twice here in NJ, once in Sept, again
in mid Oct. My lawn looks great all Fall, stays green into Feb and
greens right up again in Mar.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

"tenplay" wrote in message

Most county agents will not recommend fall fertilizing. It promotes new
growth just prior to freezes which is detrimental to grasses. It's
best to let the grass toughen up for the winter months.
If your lawn has been kept in good shape over the summer, it does not
need "root energy" in the fall. (Contrary to fertilizer manufacturers
literature since they want year round sales).

Bob S.
(A master gardener who works with the county agent)

Well, here in east TN the grass of choice is tall fescue and the best
time to fertilize is in the fall. The roots feed throughout the
winter. Late spring and summer feeding is not recommended because we
have hot summer droughts that sometimes last up to two months. Fescue
grass goes dormant during the summer, often turning brown. I used to
live in Cleveland, OH where lawn feeding includes summer, but there
the grass used was Kentucky bluegrass. A book about lawn care
should be geared toward a specific region.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"tenplay" wrote in message

Most county agents will not recommend fall fertilizing. It promotes new
growth just prior to freezes which is detrimental to grasses. It's
best to let the grass toughen up for the winter months.
If your lawn has been kept in good shape over the summer, it does not
need "root energy" in the fall. (Contrary to fertilizer manufacturers
literature since they want year round sales).

Freezing is not a big issue in western Washington.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
tenplay

Default which lawn fertilizer to use? - summary

tenplay wrote:
I have been trying to upgrade my front lawn. Last month I reseeded a
10'x10' bald area, and it's starting to look pretty good. I might even
mow the area for the first time next week. I've been reading that one
has to fertilize the lawn regularly to nourish the lawn and discourage
weeds. Someone suggested that the best fertilizer would be a 16x16x16
mix with lime. Is that right? Would it be ok to apply it to the newly
reseeded area too? I live in Western Washington, where we get more rain
than most. In fact it's drizzling right now. Thanks for any advice.

Appreciate all of your responses. It sounds like almost all of you
recommend fertilizing in the fall with regular lawn fertilizer. Also I
will continue to mow on the high side and leave the cuttings on the
ground. And it sounds like, if I keep a healthy and thick lawn, I won't
have to apply any weed treatments. Feel free to comment if I didn't
understand correctly.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dennis Turner

On 5/23/2006 11:28 PM or thereabouts, Bob S. appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:

"tenplay" wrote in message

Most county agents will not recommend fall fertilizing. It promotes new
growth just prior to freezes which is detrimental to grasses. It's
best to let the grass toughen up for the winter months.
If your lawn has been kept in good shape over the summer, it does not
need "root energy" in the fall. (Contrary to fertilizer manufacturers
literature since they want year round sales).

Bob S.
(A master gardener who works with the county agent)

This really depends on what type of grass you are fertilizing. Cool
season grasses (fescue, bluegrass, etc.) really need to be fertilized in
the fall as this is the time they grow the fastest. Warm season grasses
(bermuda, buffalo, st. augustine, etc.) do not as they go dormant
through the winter.

--
As a child, my parents thought I was an idiot-savant.
Now, however, it is rather clear that I'm simply an idiot.