Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

Default Caulking Fiberglass Shower Stall

We installed a small (36") three-piece fiberglass shower stall about 25
years ago. The unit has a base and two wall pieces that join at in the
middle of the back wall. We use it daily and plan to replace it with
something nice some time down the road, but it isn't in the budget right
now.

The problem is the caulk in the joints regularly become moldy. All the
regular methods of cleaning only lasts a short time and the mold returns. I
think my best attack would be to remove and replace the old dried out caulk.
Problem is how to get the old hard caulk out without major damage to the
fiberglass. The joints are pretty small, 1/8 inch or less, so there is not
much work room.

Before I go at it with my utility knife, I thought I'd see if anyone had any
better ideas.

Thanks!

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

"Mark" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

It is the kind of caulk that remains flexible when it dries?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

I'm pretty sure I used a fairly good grade when I first installed the
stall - it's lasted this long, but it is pretty hard at now.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Mark" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

I asked because my idea could either be a great one if the caulk's hard, or
a real bust if it's soft. I'd use a variable speed Dremel with a very skinny
bit, like this grout removal bit:
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachme...=66357&I=66362

If you held it very steady, you should be able to grind out the caulk. But,
if the caulk's soft, it might want to grab the bit and make tool stall.
Safety goggles are obviously a necessity. If this idea worked, it would be a
great excuse for buying another tool.

"Mark" wrote in message
.. .
I'm pretty sure I used a fairly good grade when I first installed the
stall - it's lasted this long, but it is pretty hard at now.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Mark" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Mark" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Something softer than the fiberglas, but harder than the caulk. Look in the
kitchen utensil aisle for those plastic doohickeys used to skin fruit. Or
put a point on some old toothbrush handles. Some of the plastic tools used
for working Bondo may be useful. Once you get an end started, grab it with
pliers and pull. A little alchohol and a kitchen scrubber may be useful to
clean up residue.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Barber