Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Metal thing across on cement steps. How do I do this?

I have a setp that I am redoing. When I finish I want one of those
metal edge protectors on it. They appear to be imbedded as oposed to
atached later (edges are flush with the concrete). Exctly how does one
do that? And is it just a regular angled piece of (aluminum or
stainless steel)?

Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a setp that I am redoing. When I finish I want one of those
metal edge protectors on it. They appear to be imbedded as oposed to
atached later (edges are flush with the concrete). Exctly how does one
do that? And is it just a regular angled piece of (aluminum or
stainless steel)?

It's supposed to have grooves in it to make it less slippery. The grooves
sometimes don't work, especially when the steps are wet or icy, so they
create a false sense of safety. You might want to reconsider the idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm referring to something that's not very deep though, like 1.5-2
inches. I thought they were there to hold up the concrete in high
traffic areas, and have nothing to do with slippage.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm referring to something that's not very deep though, like 1.5-2
inches. I thought they were there to hold up the concrete in high
traffic areas, and have nothing to do with slippage.

I don't know what their purpose is, but I've seen the end results.

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

I've seen them. It's a piece of angle that has 1/4" rod welded into
the backside and bent into hook shapes. Basically, if you were to hold
the angle so it points upward (both legs down at 45 degrees), the
"hooks" would be welded inside the angle, starting straight down before
they curve into a 90 degree hook or bend. I don't know where to buy
them, but if you plan on having them outside, I'd go with stainless
steel if it's available.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Mon, 22 May 2006 18:44:12 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I'm referring to something that's not very deep though, like 1.5-2
inches. I thought they were there to hold up the concrete in high
traffic areas, and have nothing to do with slippage.

I don't know what their purpose is, but I've seen the end results.

Corner re-enforcement. Otherwise you need a radiused edge to
keep it from chipping off, and that's even worse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, so it'a called a corner reinforcement. That's a start. Now
exactly how does one install it?

Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote in message
oups.com...
OK, so it'a called a corner reinforcement. That's a start. Now
exactly how does one install it?

Did you see Louie's description of the things? Based on that, they're
installed while the cement is wet. Check his message and come back if this
doesn't make sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sky

They are pushed/pressed into the wet 'crete after the step has been
screed. Then finish troweling around 'em.

Can be obtained at jobber outlets, the big-box rarely carry them, look
under conctete products in yellow pages

Posted to alt.home.repair
sky

That should be......concrete products in yellow pages

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

sky - wrote:
They are pushed/pressed into the wet 'crete after the step has been
screed. Then finish troweling around 'em

Yep, that's how I figured 'em. Push them into the corner of the step
when wet (I've never used them, just seen them, so take my words with
many grains of salt). I don't know if it's necessary or not, but I
would consider gently tapping on the angle for a few seconds or so
after setting it in to let the vibration help the concrete flow around
the hooked anchors.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sky

Picky,picky.....
Didn't do the link, but have seen them with screws so they could be
replaced later. Installation is a bit more difficult.
tubing replaced the angled post mention earlier......hint...hint

Metal Halide Don Klipstein Home Repair 0 December 5th 05 03:37 AM
Metal Roofs phaeton Home Repair 8 November 13th 05 10:18 PM
Metal buildings and lightening sort of OT nospamgoingjag Metalworking 67 April 11th 05 01:54 AM
electricity on my water pipes Laurent Doiron Home Repair 32 March 30th 04 06:01 PM
Drywall screws for metal studs prone to strip, please help. andy everett Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 07:10 PM