Posted to alt.home.repair
Ignoramus18798

Default Upgrading garage circuit to 100A?

I presently have a 220V subpanel in my garage, the circuit is wired
with 6 gauge wire on a 60A circuit breaker.

This circuit is inside a 3/4" conduit. It is comprised of three 6
gauge wires (two hots and neutral, with conduit being the ground).

I now realize that choosing that low capacity was a mistake. (with a
big welder now in the picture) I would like to know just what would be
involved if I wanted to upgrade to 100A.

Can I be able to squeeze, say, two 4 gauge conductors (hots), plus one
8 gauge conductor (neutral), into a 3/4" conduit? Or will I have to
replace the conduit too?

I am very regretful of not doing the right thing and going for max
capacity. When I did it, the only 220V tool I had was a 3 HP
vertical compressor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"Ignoramus18798" wrote in message
I presently have a 220V subpanel in my garage, the circuit is wired
with 6 gauge wire on a 60A circuit breaker.

This circuit is inside a 3/4" conduit. It is comprised of three 6
gauge wires (two hots and neutral, with conduit being the ground).

I now realize that choosing that low capacity was a mistake. (with a
big welder now in the picture) I would like to know just what would be
involved if I wanted to upgrade to 100A.

Can I be able to squeeze, say, two 4 gauge conductors (hots), plus one
8 gauge conductor (neutral), into a 3/4" conduit? Or will I have to
replace the conduit too?

I am very regretful of not doing the right thing and going for max
capacity. When I did it, the only 220V tool I had was a 3 HP
vertical compressor.

Can't answer your question (at least not without looking it up...) but
wonder if you have the electrical capacity in your panel for a 100a sub.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ignoramus18798

On Mon, 22 May 2006 13:51:25 GMT, Toller wrote:

[...]

Good question.

I have a 200A panel. The big loads that I may have is a 28A air
conditioner and a 50A kitchen range.

The garage circuit is used for my hobby stuff (compressor, welder),
and, as such, is used very intermittently. As you can guess, the
welder is also going to be used at a low duty cycle, it is not a
production style situation.

That's some data for me to ponder.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ignoramus18798

On Mon, 22 May 2006 11:03:11 -0400, wrote:
On Mon, 22 May 2006 13:58:15 GMT, Ignoramus18798
wrote:

[...]

You could possibly squeeze two 4s and an 8 in 3/4" (39% fill) but if
there are many bends you will have trouble getting them in there.

The bends that I have are all open kind, that is, there is either a 90
degree turn with removable back cover, or a junction box.

That still only gets you 85 amps that you can "round up" to a 90a
breaker. 310.15(B)(6) does not apply to sub panels.
On the other hand, I wouldn't do anything until I had a problem.. I
ran a pretty big shop with a welder and AC on a 60a.

Thanks... Maybe I will just follow your advice. I am not going to weld
bridge sections or oceangoing ships.

Posted to alt.home.repair

remember too that 60 amp main is really 120 amps at 120 volts.

just avoid running everything at the same time and you should be fine

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

wrote:

[...]

If you do upgrade, go to 125A, max allowed for a sub panel. Also note
the portion if the NEC pertaining specifically to electric welders and
Ieff which lets you undersize wire based on the duty cycle of the
welder.

Pete C.

(Just did the 125A upgrade thing myself)
Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

Ignoramus18798 wrote:
[...]

I think the 60A you have is probably enough. Put the welder on a 50A
circuit; you can use 10 gauge wire as long as it's dedicated to the
welder (special exemption in the code for low-duty-cycle welders.)

You will seldom run the welder at its maximum current setting. On the
rare occasions that you do, turn off the air compressor -- IIRC from the
pictures you posted, it has a *big* tank you can charge up first if you
need compressed air and the welder at the same time.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ignoramus18798

On Mon, 22 May 2006 10:45:17 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
Ignoramus18798 wrote:
[...]

Mine is actually 100% duty cycle at 200 amps, although I will never
run it anywhere close to 100% of duty cycle for any meaningful period
of time. With stick welding, the longest run time would for one stick,
perhaps 1-2 minutes, then I would need to change the electrode.

With TIG, it should likely be even less.

You will seldom run the welder at its maximum current setting. On the
rare occasions that you do, turn off the air compressor -- IIRC from the
pictures you posted, it has a *big* tank you can charge up first if you
need compressed air and the welder at the same time.

Yes, you are right 100%, I would definitely turn off the compressor if
I had to do big welding. You are also right that high amperages are
rarely necessary. With steel, I never had a need to go above about 150
amps, not that I have a great deal of experience. I never welded
aluminum, but people say that I need higher amoerages for that.

Anyway, do you know what NEC article 630 says about welder circuit
derating? I googled for a while and saw some references to that
article, but no actual tables.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

Ignoramus18798 wrote:
[...]

Since your particular welder is rated for 100% duty cycle at high
current, the derating doesn't really apply. Use a 50A breaker and #6
copper wire (or, guessing here, #6 Aluminum SE cable.) If you are
popping the breaker, use a smaller electrode. :-)

BTW, you can use a 70A breaker in the main panel without increasing the
wire sizes if the wire is THHN, THHW, or THWN-2, and the breaker
terminals and the subpanel terminals are all rated 90°C instead of the
usual 75C. That would let you use a 60A breaker for the welder and
still have it trip first instead of tripping the feeder breaker in the
house.

Best regards,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

"Ignoramus18798" wrote in message
I presently have a 220V subpanel in my garage, the circuit is wired
with 6 gauge wire on a 60A circuit breaker.

This circuit is inside a 3/4" conduit. It is comprised of three 6
gauge wires (two hots and neutral, with conduit being the ground).

I now realize that choosing that low capacity was a mistake. (with a
big welder now in the picture) I would like to know just what would be
involved if I wanted to upgrade to 100A.

Can I be able to squeeze, say, two 4 gauge conductors (hots), plus one
8 gauge conductor (neutral), into a 3/4" conduit? Or will I have to
replace the conduit too?

I am very regretful of not doing the right thing and going for max
capacity. When I did it, the only 220V tool I had was a 3 HP
vertical compressor.

I seem to recall suggesting that you use 1" conduit when you posted
questions regarding the installation of your subpanel.

You can remove everything that you have already installed and put in a 100
amp subpanel circuit or you can run a new circuit just for the welder. The
book says that you can install 2-#4's in 3/4" emt. I think it would be a
tight squeeze with another conductor for a neutral.

Check the label on your main panel to see what is the maximum permitted
circuit breaker as that may influence your decision. The main panel may not
be rated for a 100 amp circuit.

I recommend that you pick up a copy of the National Electrical Code (NFPA
70) and figure out what your options are. You can buy the code book on
Amazon.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

wrote:

[...]

And that assumes the run is not too long or through a very hot area like an
attic in which case you would need to further derate the ampacity of the
conductor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

the 60A circuit is more than enough for all the the hugest of welders. We
ran a detached garage with a 250A welder on a 10ga 30A underground circuit
for 30 years. How big a welder do you have?

--
Steve Barker

"Ignoramus18798" wrote in message
I presently have a 220V subpanel in my garage, the circuit is wired
with 6 gauge wire on a 60A circuit breaker.

This circuit is inside a 3/4" conduit. It is comprised of three 6
gauge wires (two hots and neutral, with conduit being the ground).

I now realize that choosing that low capacity was a mistake. (with a
big welder now in the picture) I would like to know just what would be
involved if I wanted to upgrade to 100A.

Can I be able to squeeze, say, two 4 gauge conductors (hots), plus one
8 gauge conductor (neutral), into a 3/4" conduit? Or will I have to
replace the conduit too?

I am very regretful of not doing the right thing and going for max
capacity. When I did it, the only 220V tool I had was a 3 HP
vertical compressor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

Steve Barker LT wrote:
the 60A circuit is more than enough for all the the hugest of welders. We
ran a detached garage with a 250A welder on a 10ga 30A underground circuit
for 30 years. How big a welder do you have?

From his descriptions, I'd guess it's a 400A TIG welder. But that
doesn't mean it won't operate just fine on a 50A or 60A circuit; he just
can't crank it up all the way.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ignoramus8797

On Mon, 22 May 2006 17:03:58 -0400, John Grabowski wrote:

[...]

Your memory is excellent, and I was wrong.

You can remove everything that you have already installed and put in a 100
amp subpanel circuit or you can run a new circuit just for the welder. The
book says that you can install 2-#4's in 3/4" emt. I think it would be a
tight squeeze with another conductor for a neutral.

Got it. Perhaps staying within my current setup is the wisest choice.

Check the label on your main panel to see what is the maximum permitted
circuit breaker as that may influence your decision. The main panel may not
be rated for a 100 amp circuit.

Will do.

I recommend that you pick up a copy of the National Electrical Code (NFPA
70) and figure out what your options are. You can buy the code book on
Amazon.

Thanks John.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ignoramus8797

wrote:

[...]

The area is all cool, but the run is long. However, all turns are
"open" (go through a corner or junction boxes).

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

"Ignoramus8797" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 May 2006 10:07:57 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
Steve Barker LT wrote:
the 60A circuit is more than enough for all the the hugest of welders.

We
ran a detached garage with a 250A welder on a 10ga 30A underground

circuit
for 30 years. How big a welder do you have?

From his descriptions, I'd guess it's a 400A TIG welder. But that
doesn't mean it won't operate just fine on a 50A or 60A circuit; he just
can't crank it up all the way.

It is actually 300A. It operates off my phase converter. I think that
one of the issues with it is that it has a bad power factor, also. I
tripped my 60A breaker at 200 amps.

What type of phase converter do you have? Is it motor driven? That may be
contributing to your load and causing the breaker to trip.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ignoramus8797

On Tue, 23 May 2006 18:04:58 -0400, John Grabowski wrote:

What type of phase converter do you have? Is it motor driven? That may be
contributing to your load and causing the breaker to trip.

It is a rotary phase converter, with two idlers, 10 and 7.5 HP. It has
a power factor correction capacitor, which mitigates power factor
issues when it idles (no load).

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

.. .

wrote:

What type of phase converter do you have? Is it motor driven? That may

be
contributing to your load and causing the breaker to trip.

It is a rotary phase converter, with two idlers, 10 and 7.5 HP. It has
a power factor correction capacitor, which mitigates power factor
issues when it idles (no load).

The phase converter is probably your problem. Those things consume power.
I only suggest the use of them as an absolute last resort. Any chance that
your welder will work off of single phase?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ignoramus16643

wrote:

What type of phase converter do you have? Is it motor driven? That may

be
contributing to your load and causing the breaker to trip.

It is a rotary phase converter, with two idlers, 10 and 7.5 HP. It has
a power factor correction capacitor, which mitigates power factor
issues when it idles (no load).

The phase converter is probably your problem. Those things consume power.
I only suggest the use of them as an absolute last resort. Any chance that
your welder will work off of single phase?

It is a good question, but, unfortunately, there is no such
chance. Everything inside it is 3 phase, the 3 phase transformer, 3
phase SCR rectifier, SCR firing controller that insists on having 3
phases, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

.. .

wrote:

What type of phase converter do you have? Is it motor driven? That

may
be
contributing to your load and causing the breaker to trip.

It is a rotary phase converter, with two idlers, 10 and 7.5 HP. It has
a power factor correction capacitor, which mitigates power factor
issues when it idles (no load).

The phase converter is probably your problem. Those things consume

power.
I only suggest the use of them as an absolute last resort. Any chance

that
your welder will work off of single phase?

It is a good question, but, unfortunately, there is no such
chance. Everything inside it is 3 phase, the 3 phase transformer, 3
phase SCR rectifier, SCR firing controller that insists on having 3
phases, etc.

Well I guess you can decide if it is cheaper to buy a single phase welder,
or upgrade your subpanel, or install a separate circuit for the welder. If
you decide to install a separate circuit for the welder you should take the
load for the phase converter into consideration. One horsepower equals 746
watts. It sounds to me that if you didn't have the phase converter, you
could probably use the welder on your existing subpanel. The more juice you
need for the welder, the harder the phase converter works and draws more
power. Your electric meter is also spinning more as that phase converter
consumes power.

Another option is to contact the power company to find out if 3 phase power
is available in your neighborhood and get quotes as to the cost to install a
3 phase service.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ignoramus5457

wrote:

[...]

This welder's main problem is bad power factor. It uses a lot more
current than would a machine with better power factor. Looking at
power, my 60A circuit can produce 14 kW, which ought to be enough for
any welder or cutter. But this thing has a low power factor.

Another option is to contact the power company to find out if 3 phase power
is available in your neighborhood and get quotes as to the cost to install a
3 phase service.

Yes, good point, I can check on that.

igor

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

wrote:

[...]

Why did you buy this monster? Are you planning to move to a commercial shop
someday? It sounds like it is more trouble than you need for a home shop
welder. My advice is to sell it and get something suitable for your
situation.