Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

Default Question about PEX tubing

Hopefully this hasn't been discussed too many times and is in the right
group, but here goes....

I'm slowly replacing the 50 year old galvanized pipes in my house with PEX,
seems like a much easier task and the materials are cheaper. That said, one
problem that I'm running into is that there is SO MANY kinds of PEX on the
market. My question is of compatibility - is, for instance, Zurn PEX tubing
compabitible with non Zurn fittings? Is PEX tube PEX tube, or does it
really matter?

To be honest, I find the Zurn stuff to be just fine, but its impossible to
find locally and I can't seem to locate an online dealer - not to mention
the lack of fittings.

Is this a problem because PEX is new, or because I'm not a contractor and
just not experienced enough?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Eigenvector wrote:

Hopefully this hasn't been discussed too many times and is in the right
group, but here goes....

I'm slowly replacing the 50 year old galvanized pipes in my house with PEX,
seems like a much easier task and the materials are cheaper. That said, one
problem that I'm running into is that there is SO MANY kinds of PEX on the
market. My question is of compatibility - is, for instance, Zurn PEX tubing
compabitible with non Zurn fittings? Is PEX tube PEX tube, or does it
really matter?

To be honest, I find the Zurn stuff to be just fine, but its impossible to
find locally and I can't seem to locate an online dealer - not to mention
the lack of fittings.

Is this a problem because PEX is new, or because I'm not a contractor and
just not experienced enough?

PEX is really not that new here. I know that some Lowe's and HD now
sell PEX. It comes in blue, white, red, etc. It takes a special tool
to crimp the rings, that is the expensive part. There is also a
GO-NO-GO guage to make sure the crimp rings are crimped correctly. Make
sure you don't get the polybuterine or irrigation tubing as it's not the
same. The fittings for 1/2 PEX are standard regardless of manufacturer.
Also the 3/4 and up are the same. Just make sure it's PEX.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

"Joey" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:

[...]

Well I have the tools for the Zurn stuff, honestly I find the crimper tool
to be a major PIA to use, but that's mostly because the tubing doesn't fit
very snugly on the fittings and so it slides around as you try to manuver
that crimper head into proper position. You're right about it being
expensive, yikes! That said, I mistakenly got some Qest fittings (hand
tighten compression fitting style) and no matter how tight I made the
connection I couldn't keep the tubing from coming out - one of the reasons
why I went for the Zurn fittings and one of the reasons why I thought the
fittings were specific to the tubing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Eigenvector wrote:
"Joey" wrote in message

Eigenvector wrote:

[...]

Hi,
B4 you slide the tubing onto fitting, dip the fitting in the water. Much
easy this way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I was just looking at this and wondering about using for a ho****er line to
the garage. Looked in Lowes and they had Pex but no crimping stuff like you
described. They had fittings where you just pushed in the tube and that was
it. I have not used the stuff and that's about all I know about it. Looked
in HD here but they do not carry it. I suppose I could go online somewhere
and find the stuff. I might as well ask whiel I am into this. Do I want the
push fittings? Or do I want to get the crimping stuff. Copper is out of
sight now around here. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

wrote in message
I was just looking at this and wondering about using for a ho****er line to
the garage. Looked in Lowes and they had Pex but no crimping stuff like
you
described. They had fittings where you just pushed in the tube and that
was
it. I have not used the stuff and that's about all I know about it. Looked
in HD here but they do not carry it. I suppose I could go online somewhere
and find the stuff. I might as well ask whiel I am into this. Do I want
the
push fittings? Or do I want to get the crimping stuff. Copper is out of
sight now around here. Thanks.

My very limited experience with it tells me that the crimp kind is
relatively expensive but a sure thing. The crimp tool is about 100 bucks at
Lowe's (1/2 or 3/4, and 200 bucks for the combination tool!!! frowny face)
but you can rent them I've heard. I didn't as about 3 or 4 of my friends
are going to do the same thing later on. That said, the fittings are super
cheap, low profile, and pretty durable. I am having a heck of a time
finding a 1/2 shut off valve for a sink line.

I went to the HD and asked about PEX, the guy there said (and I quote)
"Yeah, we don't carry that stuff, it's only really used in mobile homes."

Yeah, thanks Home Depot any other slights you can throw my way?

If I could find an online source I'd do it from there, but Lowe's it is.

Here's an example of my first attempt, it's ugly but the PEX is solid as a
rock.
http://imageevent.com/eigenvector/plumbinginmynewhouse
Warning not for the eyes of a skilled plumber!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dennis Turner

On 5/22/2006 7:50 PM or thereabouts, Eigenvector appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:

wrote in message
[...]

In new construction in my area they put copper stubouts that attach to
the PEX for attaching shutoff valves and the like. Then you're dealing
with something most people know how to work with at the fixtures
themselves. I've been living in a house with all PEX for 2 years now. No
problems whatsoever. As for the mobile home comment, most new
construction in my area be they modest or large homes, are plumbed with
PEX these days.

--
As a child, my parents thought I was an idiot-savant.
Now, however, it is rather clear that I'm simply an idiot.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

wrote in message
[...]

Hmm, that might be the only solution. I guess its not hard to solder copper
tubing, I just hate doing it. But, it is the best way to get a nice tight
leak free connection to plumbing fixtures.

Dumb pump question [email protected] Home Repair 11 May 10th 06 04:31 PM
Dehumidification, fan speed, and backfeed question thrugoodmarshall Home Repair 0 December 17th 05 06:36 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM
Square steel tubing embedded in concrete: Info/Help?? Terry King Metalworking 4 July 18th 03 04:23 AM