Posted to alt.home.repair
James Toomey

Default metal leaves lines on paint

When I hang an old metal clock on the wall, the metal acts almost like
a pencil and leaves gray lines or scuff marks all over the paint. These
lines won't easily clean off, either. What in the world causes this?
Even if I put Scotch tape over the metal that contacts the wall it
still does this. I've noticed that other metals will do this to paint,
like coins. Is the metal shedding a layer onto the paint? Or is the
paint reacting somehow to the metal, which occurs even through a layer
of Scotch tape? I've searched all over the internet but couldn't find a
discussion of this phenomenon.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

An exterior wall? likely the cold is kept behind the clock and condenses
a bit in winter, it could be mold or a reaction from moisture and
metal. Touch an area with bleach to see if it dissapears in a few
minutes, if it does dilute a mixture you might be able to kill it
without ruining the paint

Posted to alt.home.repair

glue some little felt pads to the rear of the clock so it cant touch
the wall directly and leaves room for air flow.

hardware stores have these in peel and stick

Posted to alt.home.repair
Spud

"James Toomey" wrote in message
oups.com...
When I hang an old metal clock on the wall, the metal acts almost like
a pencil and leaves gray lines or scuff marks all over the paint.
These
lines won't easily clean off, either. What in the world causes this?
Even if I put Scotch tape over the metal that contacts the wall it
still does this. I've noticed that other metals will do this to paint,
like coins. Is the metal shedding a layer onto the paint? Or is the
paint reacting somehow to the metal, which occurs even through a layer
of Scotch tape? I've searched all over the internet but couldn't find
discussion of this phenomenon.

White paint ?
I've only seen this on white
the primary white pigment in paints was white lead
I can't remember if it was the white lead or one of the replacement
pigments
that caused this maybe Titanium Dioxide pigment with aluminum oxides

Spud

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

Latex paint is easily marked by metals. Oil paint is much more resistant.
The more glossier the surface the less metal will mark it, more textured or
matte the more marks from metals.