Posted to alt.home.repair
Josh B.

Default Need Help With Insulating Ceiling Of Enclosed Porch

Hi,

I have a room which is about 14 x 10. It used to be a porch, but the
previous owner enclosed it. The room is finished with drywall for both
the walls and the ceiling. The room has 6 windows and large sliding
glass door which lets in a lot of light. Currently there is no
ductwork run to the room, but I plan on having this done when I get my
furnance replaced. The problem I have is that I was working on
installing a ceiling fan in the room today, and upon removing the old
electrical box, I peeked up into the open space to find that there is
no insulation in there. Obviously this could be a major problem if I
wish to heat/cool the room. So at this point, I'm thinking I have two
drywall up (not an ideal option to say the least) or 2.) use a loose
type insulation such as cellulose and spray it into the ceiling

The roof over this area is slightly angled. Then there are joists that
run parallel that the drywall ceiling is attached to. Because of the
angle of the roof, it appears that there is open space between the roof
and the joists. Would I be able to use the hole (about 4" in diameter)
that is currently exposed for the ceiling fan to blow cellulose
insulation into the ceiling? Would there be any reason I couldn't do
this? What about a vapor barrier since I can't actually put anything
down as I don't have access to the entire ceiling? Also will
ventilation be an issue? Any other suggestions on how I could approach
this?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tim1198

blowing insulation is a good option. You can use that 4" hole and fill
it up. Drill the same hole under each section of joists. Then you can
patch it back up when you're finished. You may want to calculate how
much cellulose insulation each section should hold, and then make sure
you use that much per section. That way you ensure that you get enough
in there.