Posted to alt.home.repair

Default where to get mirror?

where would I find 100 (96) 2ft by 2ft mirrors with which to line an 8 ft
cube room? Hopefully it would be pretty cheap, but without much noticeable
distortion...preferably glass.

I've searched google, but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for.

-JB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"J" nospamplease wrote in message
where would I find 100 (96) 2ft by 2ft mirrors with which to line an 8 ft
cube room? Hopefully it would be pretty cheap, but without much
noticeable distortion...preferably glass.

I've searched google, but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for.

Have you tried a real store that sells glass and mirrors? Or even Home
Depot?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"J" nospamplease wrote in message
where would I find 100 (96) 2ft by 2ft mirrors with which to line an 8 ft
cube room? Hopefully it would be pretty cheap, but without much
noticeable distortion...preferably glass.

I've searched google, but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking
for.

Have you tried a real store that sells glass and mirrors? Or even Home
Depot?

Yeah, depot, if anything, has the polymirrors or the 1x1 tiles.. nothing
2x2.

A glass table top from a local glass shop approx the size I need is about
$36; I need 100 of them. I was hoping to find cheaper. Maybe I'm dreaming
again. It's just a silly project anyways - not worth more than $1000 in
mirrors.

There'll be a white LED in every mirror corner intersection, and certain 2x2
panels will slide out of the wall as file drawers etc. A nice glass or
chrome table and throw rug and chrome chair finish the room.

Thanks for the reply.
-JB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

J wrote:
[...]

Try this for an idea

RPTVs have a front surface mirror of INCREDIBLY low distortion.

Sizes will vary with brand and overall size of the RPTV, but mirror
sizes of up to 19x35 and larger are available.

The key is to approach a TV repair shop and ask them if they have old
RPTVs that customers will not pay to get fixed, that will not pay to get
them back. You offer to haul them away for no charge!! Haggle for a
low price $25 or so.

These style TVs used CRTs to project the image, and they are still sold
today although at greatly reduced numbers than before (Plasma, LCD, DLP
get all the attention these days). If you want a 40-50 inch TV today
and can only can spend $1200 for it, it will be a CRT based RPTV. If it
breaks, repair charges are a substantial fraction of the purchase price,
and people refuse to pay.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff

Try a glass shop, or stained glass supply shop, they might be able to
special order for you. It sounds like what you want is just the
mirrored glass, with no frame or anything. Since you want 400 sq ft,
even at a few bucks a square foot it will add up. -- H

Posted to alt.home.repair
Philip Lewis

"J" nospamplease writes:
Yeah, depot, if anything, has the polymirrors or the 1x1 tiles..

[...]
There'll be a white LED in every mirror corner intersection, and certain 2x2
panels will slide out of the wall as file drawers etc.

One of the few art pieces of Andy Warhol I like is like this. He had
several mylar neutral buoyancy ballons as well.

Perhaps you can make frames of .75" square stock and "upholster" them
with mylar. They would be *much* lighter than the glass, although less durable.
You would be able to run the LED wiring in the space behind the frame,
or perhaps put the lights behind the mylar if it has sufficient
transparency.
Google has some sponsored hits
http://www.google.com/url?sa=l&ai=BI...cmirror-SCl013

if you want them to get credit.

Direct link:
http://www.interstateplastics.com/ma...cmirror-SCl013

They claim 24x24" mirror is $17, about half the price you mentioned.

Try these links:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=acrylic+mirror
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=plastic+mirror
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=panel+mirror

--
May no harm befall you,
flip

Posted to alt.home.repair

There'll be a white LED in every mirror corner intersection, and certain
2x2
panels will slide out of the wall as file drawers etc.

One of the few art pieces of Andy Warhol I like is like this. He had
several mylar neutral buoyancy ballons as well.

Perhaps you can make frames of .75" square stock and "upholster" them
with mylar. They would be *much* lighter than the glass, although less
durable.
You would be able to run the LED wiring in the space behind the frame,
or perhaps put the lights behind the mylar if it has sufficient
transparency.

I was a mirror room exhibit at Albright Knox art museum in buffalo, but it
was dark inside. I want to explore the psychological effects of working in
a small room or mirrors - can you trick yourself into believing it's a
larger space, etc... and how many LEDs will be enough to light the place...

Great links. $1700 for 100 of them is great. I was going to avoid acrylic,
but maybe it's not that important as long as the underlying surface is flat
and smooth...

Thanks!
-JB

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Heathcliff" wrote in message
ups.com...
Try a glass shop, or stained glass supply shop, they might be able to
special order for you. It sounds like what you want is just the
mirrored glass, with no frame or anything. Since you want 400 sq ft,
even at a few bucks a square foot it will add up. -- H

Yeah, you know what, if I make it a semi public project, I may just get an
advertising break .

-JB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Philip Lewis

"J" nospamplease writes:
I was a mirror room exhibit at Albright Knox art museum in buffalo, but it
was dark inside.

I had a pocket flashlight with me when i was there... it was interesting.
For the best effect, care should be taken to get opposite mirrors
parallel.

I've wanted to do this since i was a kid, but that was way before
white LEDs were common. I figured I'd use candles. (the idea was to
use it for a quiet meditation room.)

About 10 years ago, I saw the silver room at the A.W. museum here in
pittsburgh (he's such a genius... of marketing), and a year or two ago
the mirror room in Buffalo.

Good luck with your version!

--
May no harm befall you,
flip
In my email replace SeeEmmYou.EeeDeeYou with CMU.EDU

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Thu, 11 May 2006 13:06:06 -0400, "J" nospamplease wrote:

[...]

No offense intended, but don't be foolish. If they are 17 dollars a
piece, they will almost surely sell you 100 for (much?) less than 1700
dollars.

I was going to say the same thing about the glass mirrors for 36
dollars a piece.

Sometimes they give a discount just because one is buying many, and
other times because their actual cost is lower. Here you probably have
both. They get out a sheet of the stuff, set it up for 2 x 2 and then
cut the same size over and over. One set up for 96 pieces, which
probably saves them a lot of time-money.

If there is no price for volume, bypass any on-line ordering or clerk
who says "I don't think so" and talk to the manager.

but maybe it's not that important as long as the underlying surface is flat
and smooth...

Thanks!
-JB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"J" nospamplease wrote in message

There'll be a white LED in every mirror corner intersection, and certain
2x2 panels will slide out of the wall as file drawers etc. A nice glass
or chrome table and throw rug and chrome chair finish the room.

Sounds neat. You can probably find a Mylar film, but it would have a lot of
distortion.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Thu, 11 May 2006 20:41:38 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"J" nospamplease wrote in message
m...

There'll be a white LED in every mirror corner intersection, and certain
2x2 panels will slide out of the wall as file drawers etc. A nice glass
or chrome table and throw rug and chrome chair finish the room.

Sounds neat. You can probably find a Mylar film, but it would have a lot of
distortion.

Depends on how and what you put it on. But why not just buy
the $9.00 6' high mirrors from HD or similar places, and
cut them to size?