Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem removing chain from Sears chain saw

I have a Sears 16" chainsaw (a Poulan clone), that has a cute little
plastic doodad that's supposed to make it easy to tighten or remove the
chain without tools (you grab the hinged thing which swings out, then
you tighten or loosen it by hand). It worked well for a while, but now
apparently it's stripped out, and no longer turns the bolt that
actually holds the bar on.

Is anyone familiar with this, and know of a way to get past it? There
doesn't appear to be any way to get in there with a tool of any kind -
no exposed screw or bolt heads that I can see. Took it to my local Ace
Hardware (where I usually get the chain sharpened), and they were
baffled. I hate to even try taking it to Sears - they'll likely charge
me a ton to repair it, and the saw only cost $150 to begin with. It's
a good saw, otherwise - perfect for the light usage I give it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the advice, Harry (sadly, it's pretty much what I expected
to hear about this thing). I have no problem being laughed at. I'm an
IT professional, but I'd never demean someone for buying a Compaq/HP
computer. Of course, if one of those lumberjacks would care to ante up
a few hundred$ to buy me a *real* chainsaw, for my once or twice a year
pruning, that'd be fine.

At any rate, I may take a chance with them. Can you check the website
address you posted? It didn't work for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry gave the proper site name, if you can't click thru, try going to
google and putting in something like "arborist forum" and see if you
can get in that way.

I would also suggest if you have a pro chainsaw shop nearby that you go
there and take the saw and ask if they can offer any suggestions. I
wouldn't imagine it would cost much. Look in the yellowpages under saws
or chainsaws....

A small-family shop would be the best route....If you lived in the
Oregon Coast Range, I'd guide you to the shop I patronize....but
probably a bit out of the way....

Posted to alt.home.repair

LOL! Yeah, about 3,000 miles out of the way. But that's good advice -
I'll see what I can dig up.

I did find the site - it's www.arboristsite.com not
www.new.arboristsite.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

It does, and it's the same exploded view that's in my owners manual.
It's hard to tell, but it looks like the only way is to completely
disassemble it from the opposite side. I'll probably give it a shot,
but I'm already looking at a Husqvarna. If I fix the sears (or even if
I don't) I'll probably eBay it.