DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tips on Refinishing Bilco Doors (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/156676-tips-refinishing-bilco-doors.html)

[email protected] May 8th 06 09:42 PM

Tips on Refinishing Bilco Doors

My Bilco doors are starting to rust. I'd like to strip them down then
prime
and paint them. Any good tips on doing this? What type of primer and
paint
are best for this to avoid rusting again.

Regards

RayV May 8th 06 09:50 PM

Tips on Refinishing Bilco Doors

Get a wire wheel for your drill and knock loose any peeling paint and
rust and prime with rustoleum finish with your choice of paint. You
could use chemical strippers and naval jelly but why agravate yourself,
they will start to rust again in two years no matter what you do.

PipeDown May 8th 06 10:03 PM

Tips on Refinishing Bilco Doors

If you like an industrial look, i noticed that you can now get cold
galvinizing spray paint. Basically a zinc spray paint that makes metal look
like galvinized nails or fence wire.

http://www.alvinproducts.com/Product...S%20AND%20USES

You can use it as a primer too but I don't know how it effect the final
finish. Other brands available.

oups.com...

46erjoe May 9th 06 12:28 AM

Tips on Refinishing Bilco Doors

Brush-paint over the rust (scrape off any loose stuff, but no need to
get it all) with POR-15. You will never see rust again. Car restorers
use it all the time.

http://www.por15.com/

On 8 May 2006 12:42:14 -0700, wrotF: