Posted to alt.home.repair
Matt Fuerst

Default Water Pressure w/ Softener

Greetings all,

I appreciate any ideas/pointers people can share with me..

I am on a well and have a water softener. My softener had not had salt
in it for many months as the "hard" water doesn't bother me. I am
having a guest come that is more sensitive than I so I went out this
past Saturday and bought 3 X 40 lb bags of salt and Saturday evening
before bed I filled up the softener.

Sunday morning I woke and there was nearly 0 pressure in all my indoor
water faucets. There was enough to get the shower head dripping but
that was about it.... I resigned myself to a crummy shower and hopped
in. About 3 minutes in, I heard my well pump snap on, and BAM, pressure
was restored. Yippie. Transient anomoly I said to myself. The rest of
the day - water pressure was fine (though I was gone for most all of
the day).

Monday morning, I wake up, same problem. No pressure. I curse softly,
then turn the shower on and let it run for a few minutes while I surf
the web, figuring as soon as my well pump turns on my problems will be
magically solved again.. this time - no luck. The pump turns on but I
don't get any pressure still. Crummy shower.

So that's where I am at. A little googling shows there is generally a
"bypass valve" on softeners - a valve between the incoming and outgoing
water pipes but I don't see one on my system. I suspect that in the
many months of sitting stagnant some junk has built up in the output of
my softener.. does that sound like a possible culprit? I suspect that
for months with it empty I was getting water straight from my well and
bypassing the softener. But then again in both circumstances I would
imagine my hot water is coming from the hot water tank so I can't
imagine how the softener being "junked up" would really play a role.
Maybe the softener thing is a red herring and there is a problem
"earlier" in the plumbing system - IE the well and pump, etc...

I am painfully "unhandy" around the house, so pretty much my question
(aside from anything super easy and obvious) would be a recommendation
of who to call - a plumber? A water softener company?

Thanks so much for any help! Here's to a life with good showers...

Matt

Posted to alt.home.repair
David Martel

Matt,

Do you have a bypass valve? Did you bypass the softener when you were not
using it? Is your cold water soft now? Can you bypass the softener now?
If you are unhandy I think you should buy several gallons of water from
the supermarket and call a plumber.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Matt Fuerst

An awesome question, which I should have mentioned in the original
posting.. as of this morning the Softener read "3" (since it has a
single digit LCD) which I believe means 3 am.. it was making what I
would call a "hissing" sound and doing something.. so I guess it may
well hve been in process... Sorry for the ignorance on my part... I
forwarded the time to 8... I guess I will know more when I get home
from work today and see the status of my water pressure...

Matt

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

You have made a lot of assumptions, have you even looked at the manual. 3
sounds more like an operating code or an error code. Nobody in their right
mind would make a product with a one digit clock (Duh)

"Matt Fuerst" wrote in message
ups.com...
An awesome question, which I should have mentioned in the original
posting.. as of this morning the Softener read "3" (since it has a
single digit LCD) which I believe means 3 am.. it was making what I
would call a "hissing" sound and doing something.. so I guess it may
well hve been in process... Sorry for the ignorance on my part... I
forwarded the time to 8... I guess I will know more when I get home
from work today and see the status of my water pressure...

Matt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Matt Fuerst wrote:
[...]

call a well service company they can install and service tanks and
conditioners as well as the well. most plumbers dont work on wells or
conditioners. scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

Call a water softener company. When I moved in my softener did not
work (similar scenario -- hadn't been used in a long time). I had a
plumber here doing some plumbing repair and asked him about it, and he
specifically told me to call the softener guy for this. I guess
technically it's not plumbing.

Jo Ann
PS: In my case, turned out timer was broken and had to be replaced.