Posted to alt.home.repair
JMagerl

Default Small Engine Repair

I have an Echo leaf Blower that no longer runs. I would like to rebuild the
carburetor. I can go to the Echo web site for information or I can go to the
Walbro (the carburetor maker) web site for information. Unfortunately the
two sites differ.

It is a Walbro WYJ-316 Carburetor (as stamped on the body). The Walbro site
lists 6 different gaskets and diaphrams. The ECHO web page for the same
carburetor lists 4 gaskets and diaphrams and infact if you disassemble the
carb, there are 4.

So...no brainer you say.....I bought the ECHO rebuild kit....it came today
with 6 gaskets and diaphrams. So I ignore the 2 extra gaskets and rebuild my
carburetor....wait...there is a rubber Oring (about .2 inch diameter), what
the heck is this for? It doesnt show up on any documentation from either web
site....so I ignore it too and reassemble my carburetor....

Crap! it doesnt work. There is something about the primer bulb that is not
sucking up fuel. The entire fuel line is dry and no amount of priming will
suck it up. I soaked the pieces in Gumout for 24 hrs and as far as I can see
all holes are clear

Where do I look? I took it apart again and everything appears to be in the
correct place and orientation. Do I use all 6 diaphrams and gaskets? Is this
where I break down and buy a new carburetor? I think I need some expert
help.

Links to the exploded diagrams follow (both ECHO and Walbro sites):
Echo: http://www.echo-usa.com/oot/docs/PB260261Li_022006.pdf Go to page 26
Walbro:
http://wem.walbro.com/walbro/product...=WYJ%2D316%2D1

Posted to alt.home.repair
David Martel

J,

If the primer bulb will not draw any gas through the gas line it may be
the gas filter is gunked up. Take a fresh piece of gas line and attach it.
Now see if the bulb will draw gas from a cup through this new line. If that
works then you need to replace the filter in the gas tank. It's a small
cylinder usually.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Mon, 8 May 2006 09:59:34 -0500, "JMagerl"
wrote:

[...]

Item 9, page 26/27 is the o-ring.

Crap! it doesnt work. There is something about the primer bulb that is not
sucking up fuel. The entire fuel line is dry and no amount of priming will
suck it up. I soaked the pieces in Gumout for 24 hrs and as far as I can see
all holes are clear

Where do I look? I took it apart again and everything appears to be in the
correct place and orientation. Do I use all 6 diaphrams and gaskets? Is this
where I break down and buy a new carburetor? I think I need some expert
help.

Links to the exploded diagrams follow (both ECHO and Walbro sites):
Echo: http://www.echo-usa.com/oot/docs/PB260261Li_022006.pdf Go to page 26
Walbro:
http://wem.walbro.com/walbro/product...=WYJ%2D316%2D1

Were your gaskets/diaphragms properly orientated so as to not block
any holes/vents, etc?

Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Are you sure its getting spark.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Mon, 08 May 2006 08:49:06 -0700, Oren wrote:

So...no brainer you say.....I bought the ECHO rebuild kit....it came today
with 6 gaskets and diaphrams. So I ignore the 2 extra gaskets and rebuild my
carburetor....wait...there is a rubber Oring (about .2 inch diameter), what
the heck is this for? It doesnt show up on any documentation from either web
site....so I ignore it too and reassemble my carburetor....

Item 9, page 26/27 is the o-ring.

BTW, Item 10 is a jet and may need cleaning. Since you wondered about
the O-ring ...it's under this jet. (might not be on all models,
though).

Links to the exploded diagrams follow (both ECHO and Walbro sites):
Echo: http://www.echo-usa.com/oot/docs/PB260261Li_022006.pdf Go to page 26

Were your gaskets/diaphragms properly orientated so as to not block
any holes/vents, etc?

It appears the kit is for a variety of models. Some parts may not be
applicable or related to each model.

Oren
excused from saving Universes."

Posted to alt.home.repair
JMagerl

Spark is OK. THe orignal problem was that it would start in full choke but
would stall when I tried to turn the choke off.. As far as I can tell all
the gaskets and what not are in the right orientation ( after the third
try - long story involving a kitty cat that wanted to help).

Will look at the jet. I will look at the fuel filter again too. It looked OK
when I had it out but when I originally took the carb apart I noticed some
crude on the inlet screen (in the carb). I had a previous leaf blower that
had the fuel hose split allowing it to suck all sorts of junk into the carb.
Thats what I was expecting when I started this project.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Are you sure its getting spark.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is why I prefer electrical blowers chainsaws etc. Depending on 2
cycle engines I spent moree time fixing machines than doing the job

Installing some convenient electrical outlets around the utside helped
dramatically

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Mon, 8 May 2006 12:20:02 -0500, "JMagerl"
wrote:

Spark is OK. THe orignal problem was that it would start in full choke but
would stall when I tried to turn the choke off.. As far as I can tell all
the gaskets and what not are in the right orientation ( after the third
try - long story involving a kitty cat that wanted to help).

Will look at the jet. I will look at the fuel filter again too. It looked OK
when I had it out but when I originally took the carb apart I noticed some
crude on the inlet screen (in the carb). I had a previous leaf blower that
had the fuel hose split allowing it to suck all sorts of junk into the carb.
Thats what I was expecting when I started this project.

So it ran with the choke on? It's fuel/air mixture as my
guess....starving for fuel..

Use caution, but I would pull the spark plug and pour a **small
amount** of fuel in the cylinder, replace plug and crank. (I'm
wondering if a piston ring is gunked up). Try to run the engine
again.

Let us know...

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair

i bet you used the gasket that covers the hole between the primer block
and the carb,one gasket has the hole,one doesnt. lucas