Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I use a filter on the washing machine waste line?

I found that my drywell has become clogged with lint and soap scum.
After I clean it out and refurbish it I thought I could put something
in line with the washing machine waste line. Does such a thing even
exist? (Only the washing machine feeds into this drywell.)

I used to have an apartment where they put some type of filter inline
with the shower head due to the dirt in the town's water. Not sure if
that would work - that seemed to be for more fine particles like dirt
and sand. Not sure if could hold up to suds and stuff.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

They make strainers for that purpose. Here is one:
http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52...ap-197467.aspx

wrote in message
ups.com...
I found that my drywell has become clogged with lint and soap scum.
After I clean it out and refurbish it I thought I could put something
in line with the washing machine waste line. Does such a thing even
exist? (Only the washing machine feeds into this drywell.)

I used to have an apartment where they put some type of filter inline
with the shower head due to the dirt in the town's water. Not sure if
that would work - that seemed to be for more fine particles like dirt
and sand. Not sure if could hold up to suds and stuff.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gideon

Nylon hose that your wife is discarding due to runs can be cut up
to make very useful laundry discharge nets. And they are free.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Gideon wrote:
Nylon hose that your wife is discarding due to runs can be cut up
to make very useful laundry discharge nets. And they are free.

Hi,
And Phospahte free detergent.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

They make strainers for that purpose. Here is one:
http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52...cess/nylon-mes...

"Nylon mesh lint trap ... Made from long lasting, rustproof
polypropylene."

Got a chuckle out of that: Nylon, made from polypropylene

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G

wrote in message
ups.com...
I found that my drywell has become clogged with lint and soap scum.
After I clean it out and refurbish it I thought I could put something
in line with the washing machine waste line. Does such a thing even
exist? (Only the washing machine feeds into this drywell.)

I used to have an apartment where they put some type of filter inline
with the shower head due to the dirt in the town's water. Not sure if
that would work - that seemed to be for more fine particles like dirt
and sand. Not sure if could hold up to suds and stuff.

TIA

If your washer drains into a laundry tub before going down the drain, it
would be simple to put a nylon pantyhose leg over the end of the hose to
catch the lint. Or one of the small lint filters designed for this purpose
available at most grocery and hardware stores, as others have suggested.
It would be difficult to do this if your hose goes right into a stand pipe
as you have to be able to easily monitor the filter to replace it before it
fills up and blocks the hose. Another solution might be an above ground
tank to catch the water, then with a hose use the water to water your
landscape plants. Then a regular maintenance schedule to clean the tank.
The last alternative would be one of the newer front load washers. They use
much less soap and actually don't have a lint filter as the tumbling action
doesn't , literally, knock the stuffing out of your clothes. Top load
washers have a filter but it only holds the lint long enough to keep it from
depositing back on the clothes and then it is backflushed down the drain.
Remember, years ago when machines had the little filter that you cleaned
after each load. The consumer didn't like the inconvenience, but also
didn't realize the problems that are caused when that lint is instead
flushed down the pipes.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Tom G wrote:

snip Another solution might be an above ground
tank to catch the water, then with a hose use the water to water your
landscape plants. snip

I don't think plants like soapy water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi, yes I have a standpipe deal. I have enough room on all sides of
the machine and it is easy to reach from the top of the machine to the
start of the stand pipe. So access to clean probably is not an issue.
I was just hoping to get something that had a resusable filter if
possible and something that would have a "bypass" in the event of a
clogged filter. The only thing I could could find so far are for sink
draining deals.

Thanks for your reply.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

I don't think plants like soapy water.

Or chlorine bleach !

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G

"CJT" wrote in message
Tom G wrote:

snip Another solution might be an above ground
tank to catch the water, then with a hose use the water to water your
landscape plants. snip

I don't think plants like soapy water.

Used to drain washer right on the ground. Grass grew better there than
anywhere else. Now, how well they would do with soaps not having the
phosphates in them as much, I don't know. And it seems to me that a few
years ago, California, in the middle of a big drought was encouraging its
citizens to catch their "grey" water and use it to water their landscaping.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Spud

Filtrol-160
http://www.septicsafe.com/

http://www.laundry-alternative.com/septic_filter.htm

The average family washing machine produces enough lint in a year to carpet a living room floor
Also only use liquid soap. the powder turns back to powder or scum

Spud

wrote in message ups.com...
Hi, yes I have a standpipe deal. I have enough room on all sides of
the machine and it is easy to reach from the top of the machine to the
start of the stand pipe. So access to clean probably is not an issue.
I was just hoping to get something that had a resusable filter if
possible and something that would have a "bypass" in the event of a
clogged filter. The only thing I could could find so far are for sink
draining deals.

Thanks for your reply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

$139 ??? That is the biggest rip-off. Sure it would be nice to have
but the materials to make that piece of crap cost about $1.25.

Typical Septic "Fear" nonsense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

there is a websight that sells a drain filter for washers.. yo know,
you can get a handfull of lint going down the drain with every
load..that adds up over time and can choke a septic tank..

kms kuba sewing machinery Woodworking 0 April 17th 06 10:48 AM
kms kuba sewing machinery UK diy 0 April 5th 06 09:20 AM
kms kuba sewing machinery Metalworking 0 March 27th 06 03:24 PM
kms kuba sewing machinery Metalworking 0 March 27th 06 03:24 PM
Non-return valve attached to dishwasher and washing machine combo & blockage..? Don1815 UK diy 1 August 23rd 05 09:50 PM