DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cleaning off old motar from brick (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/156115-cleaning-off-old-motar-brick.html)

[email protected] May 4th 06 04:07 AM

Cleaning off old motar from brick

I need to rebuild a retaining wall, I broke down most of the wall. I
need to clean off the existing mortar from the brick.

I read many articles saying how dangerous muramic acid is. I saw
phosphoric acid isn't as dangerous. Has anyone tried phosphroic on
morter? Is there anything else to use?

ameijers May 4th 06 06:33 AM

Cleaning off old motar from brick

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to rebuild a retaining wall, I broke down most of the wall. I
need to clean off the existing mortar from the brick.

I read many articles saying how dangerous muramic acid is. I saw
phosphoric acid isn't as dangerous. Has anyone tried phosphroic on
morter? Is there anything else to use?

Go and get a 3 or 4 inch cold chisel, a 2-lb hammer, and a masons hammer,
and a pair of leather gloves. Thick mortar is best removed mechanically. I
probably cleaned 30 or 40 thousand brick that way one summer as a kid. Once
you get the hang of it, it goes pretty fast. Often, you don't even need
tools- just strike the bricks together at the right angle, and the mortar
falls off. Muratic acid is for after you build the new wall, to wash down
the face and get off the smeared mortar. Be aware that you will need more
brick than came out of the old wall, since a decent percentage will break.

aem sends...

Joseph Meehan May 4th 06 12:33 PM

Cleaning off old motar from brick

ameijers wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Well said. I agree totally. I might even suggest that you can often
skip the muratic acid step, depending on the look you need.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

dadiOH May 4th 06 12:33 PM

wrote:
I need to rebuild a retaining wall, I broke down most of the wall. I
need to clean off the existing mortar from the brick.

I read many articles saying how dangerous muramic acid is. I saw
phosphoric acid isn't as dangerous. Has anyone tried phosphroic on
morter? Is there anything else to use?

Chipping hammer

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Goedjn May 4th 06 04:25 PM

On 3 May 2006 20:07:58 -0700, wrote:

I need to rebuild a retaining wall, I broke down most of the wall. I
need to clean off the existing mortar from the brick.

I read many articles saying how dangerous muramic acid is. I saw
phosphoric acid isn't as dangerous. Has anyone tried phosphroic on
morter? Is there anything else to use?

Just use the muriatic, and try not to swallow any of it,
or pour it up your nose. You do need to treat it as if
it were (duh) acid, but I'm not sure that meets my standards
for "dangerous", any more than gasoline does.

I was under the impression that
used brick wasn't considered suitable for structural
applications once you took it apart, no matter what you
did to it. How high is this wall?

Joseph Meehan May 4th 06 05:13 PM

Goedjn wrote:
On 3 May 2006 20:07:58 -0700, wrote:

I need to rebuild a retaining wall, I broke down most of the wall. I
need to clean off the existing mortar from the brick.

I read many articles saying how dangerous muramic acid is. I saw
phosphoric acid isn't as dangerous. Has anyone tried phosphroic on
morter? Is there anything else to use?

Just use the muriatic, and try not to swallow any of it,
or pour it up your nose. You do need to treat it as if
it were (duh) acid, but I'm not sure that meets my standards
for "dangerous", any more than gasoline does.

I was under the impression that
used brick wasn't considered suitable for structural
applications once you took it apart, no matter what you
did to it.

There are many kinds of brick, and not all of it is suitable all uses.

How high is this wall?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

[email protected] May 16th 06 02:24 PM

Cleaning off old motar from brick

followup...

I found out that old mortar is loosed by rain (water). Spent two
unpleasent weekends chipping away and scraping off moter. Then it
rained and the remaining bricks got soaked. The bricks are clay which
doesn't absorb water but the mortar absorbs soaks it up. The mortar
crumbles off.
Weekend 1 (2 days)-60 bricks
Weekend 2 (2 days)-40 bricks
Last saturday-120 bricks (after the rain)

Also,a sharp wood chisel was useful to clean the brick (had to sharpen
it several times), but it was useful to get under the mortar.

Bob May 16th 06 04:28 PM