Posted to alt.home.repair
Adam Lane

Default Bathroom Sink Won't Hold Water

Hi...I was assuming that the pop-up stopper was worn out, and that was
why the sink wouldn't hold water even with the stopper plugging the
drain hole.

But I found even if I plug the drain hole (by wedging a tightly bunched
up plastic bag in there) water still escapes from the sink very
quickly.

Inspecting things closely, it seems that water is draining away
UNDERNEATH the edge of the flange.

At least, that what is looks like to me. I wonder if anyone knows if
this is common. And, is that water going somewhere that could cause a
big problem? (other than the inconvenience now of it preventing me from
keeping the sink filled up when I'm trying to shave).

Thanksya for any thoughts.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tj

Sounds like the person who installed it didn't use plumber's putty. As long
as it doesn't leak underneath sink there is nothing to worry about. You
could take it apart and fix it. really easy.

"Adam Lane" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi...I was assuming that the pop-up stopper was worn out, and that was
why the sink wouldn't hold water even with the stopper plugging the
drain hole.

But I found even if I plug the drain hole (by wedging a tightly bunched
up plastic bag in there) water still escapes from the sink very
quickly.

Inspecting things closely, it seems that water is draining away
UNDERNEATH the edge of the flange.

At least, that what is looks like to me. I wonder if anyone knows if
this is common. And, is that water going somewhere that could cause a
big problem? (other than the inconvenience now of it preventing me from
keeping the sink filled up when I'm trying to shave).

Thanksya for any thoughts.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Adam Lane

Instead of taking it apart and re-applying plumber's putty, how about
if I just put some waterproof caulking around the flange? That would
be a look easier, but I'm not sure if it would be a good enough
solution?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Adam Lane wrote:
Instead of taking it apart and re-applying plumber's putty, how about
if I just put some waterproof caulking around the flange? That would
be a look easier, but I'm not sure if it would be a good enough
solution?

If it were me, I'd take it apart and use plumber's putty. Without
that, it's won't seat and tighten up correctly, which is why you have
the gap. I guess you can try caulk, but it may be hard to make look
decent and may not last either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

disassemble, dry well, apply silicone bathtub caulk too all parts and
reassemble.

silicone bathtub caulk is way better than plumbers putty