DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How can I boost range of garage door transmitter? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/155893-how-can-i-boost-range-garage-door-transmitter.html)

Nospam May 2nd 06 01:30 PM

How can I boost range of garage door transmitter?

Is there a way to boost the range of a garage door transmitter? Currently
the dang thing does not go up until I am almost in front of the door (the
battery is new).

Thanks,
Robert

m Ransley May 2nd 06 01:35 PM

How can I boost range of garage door transmitter?

Lengthen the antenna and try a new remote.

Doug Kanter May 2nd 06 01:38 PM

"Nospam" wrote in message
Is there a way to boost the range of a garage door transmitter? Currently
the dang thing does not go up until I am almost in front of the door (the
battery is new).

Thanks,
Robert

Are there windows in the garage door?

[email protected] May 2nd 06 02:34 PM

How can I boost range of garage door transmitter?

install a new remote controller, it gets wired to the push button
switch wire location. put controller on front wall of garage, antenna
just outside.

if its a new problem try a different set of new batteries bought
elsewhere, and dont use cheap ones.

new batteries are occasionally bad...

Jeff Wisnia May 2nd 06 06:19 PM

Nospam wrote:

Is there a way to boost the range of a garage door transmitter? Currently
the dang thing does not go up until I am almost in front of the door (the
battery is new).

Thanks,
Robert

If the transmitter is one of the ones where the transmit RF frequency is
adjustable by screwing a tuning slug in and out of a coil, it may have
drifted out of tune and you could retune it.

You'll likely need to connect a voltmeter to a test point on the
receiver to do that, and tune the transmitter slug to peak the meter
reading.

Your equipment manuals should tell you if that can be done.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Andy Asberry May 2nd 06 10:38 PM

On Tue, 02 May 2006 11:30:50 GMT, "Nospam" wrote:

Is there a way to boost the range of a garage door transmitter? Currently
the dang thing does not go up until I am almost in front of the door (the
battery is new).

Thanks,
Robert

At our previous house we had a pair of unknown brands. Maybe Sears.
Range was about 100'.

Out here in the country, we used Genie. Range seemed pretty good. I
bought anther and made a gate opener out of it. I can stand in the
kitchen and operate the gate at the road 400' away.

You can buy their Intelicode transmitter and receiver to add to
another brand of opener. http://www.imdoors.com/tableremotes.htm
middle of the page.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Just Bob May 3rd 06 12:13 AM

Nospam wrote:
Is there a way to boost the range of a garage door transmitter? Currently
the dang thing does not go up until I am almost in front of
the door (the battery is new).

Thanks,
Robert

Did it work any better when it was new? The lens might be dirty. Try
cleaning with cotton swab and some cleaning agent.

Steve B May 3rd 06 12:44 AM

"Just Bob" wrote in message

Nospam wrote:
Is there a way to boost the range of a garage door transmitter? Currently
the dang thing does not go up until I am almost in front of
the door (the battery is new).

Thanks,
Robert

We used to tweak ours at work. There is a small round hole by the corner on
some. Look in there and see if it is a hex or a slot or what. That will
allow you to tweak it. Stand as far away as you want to be when it opens.
Hold down the button. Turn the adjustment first one way and then the other
until it opens the door.

As I said, it depends on your model.

Steve

ameijers May 3rd 06 12:50 AM

"Just Bob" wrote in message

Nospam wrote:
Is there a way to boost the range of a garage door transmitter?

Currently
the dang thing does not go up until I am almost in front of
the door (the battery is new).

Thanks,
Robert

Did it work any better when it was new? The lens might be dirty. Try
cleaning with cotton swab and some cleaning agent.

Lens? This is RF, not a TV remote. I'd also check that the inside antenna,
that coat-hanger thing hung off the opener, hasn't been knocked loose.

aem sends...

ameijers May 3rd 06 01:02 AM

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Nospam wrote:

Is there a way to boost the range of a garage door transmitter?

Currently
the dang thing does not go up until I am almost in front of the door

(the
battery is new).

Thanks,
Robert

If the transmitter is one of the ones where the transmit RF frequency is
adjustable by screwing a tuning slug in and out of a coil, it may have
drifted out of tune and you could retune it.

You'll likely need to connect a voltmeter to a test point on the
receiver to do that, and tune the transmitter slug to peak the meter
reading.

Your equipment manuals should tell you if that can be done.

Manuals? What are these manuals I keep reading about on here? By the time
equipment gets down to my point on the food chain, docs are a distant
memory.....

aem sends...

Beachcomber May 3rd 06 01:57 AM

How can I boost range of garage door transmitter?

Did it work any better when it was new? The lens might be dirty. Try
cleaning with cotton swab and some cleaning agent.

Lens? This is RF, not a TV remote. I'd also check that the inside antenna,
that coat-hanger thing hung off the opener, hasn't been knocked loose.

aem sends...

The receiver antenna may be in a dead spot due to reflections from
surrounding materials.

Try re-orienting the antenna (horz -- vertical) or vice-versa.
Lengthening or shortening the antenna. If the receiver is removable,
relocate it .

Beachcomber