Posted to alt.home.repair
JD1

Default insulation help

I just purchased a home built in 1972 outside of Denver CO. it has a
cathedral ceiling throughout with paneling on the ceiling and walls.
I tore off all the paneling to put up drywall and noticed the house
has Rock Wool insulation (R22 on ceiling and R7 on walls) I know the
recommend an R38 on ceiling and R15 on walls but I wasn't sure if I
could just add more over the top or if I would have to remove it and
then add new insulation. My other question is would it be something
that would pay for itself in the end or would the cost exceed what it
would save in energy bills.

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

it depends on how much room there is for insulation. if there is
enough space to add a r38 bat on top of the old stuff, then no need to
remove. but if you are trying to maximise r value in a limited space,
then i would remove the rock wool. also be sure that you have a good
vapor barrier and that any penetrations are sealed well, like ceiling
electrical boxes, bath fans, plumbing vents, and the like.

if you are sheetrocking anyway, it will definitely pay for itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Proctologically Violated©®

Agreed.
Makes a huge diff. in ceilings/roofs, nite and day.
But don't cram it in; should be tight to the joists, but not flattened
between the sheetrock and the sheaves.
Also make sure it doesn't fall down under it's own weight, leaving exposed
areas. A staple here and there will add support.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"marson" wrote in message
ps.com...
it depends on how much room there is for insulation. if there is
enough space to add a r38 bat on top of the old stuff, then no need to
remove. but if you are trying to maximise r value in a limited space,
then i would remove the rock wool. also be sure that you have a good
vapor barrier and that any penetrations are sealed well, like ceiling
electrical boxes, bath fans, plumbing vents, and the like.

if you are sheetrocking anyway, it will definitely pay for itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Now that the paneling is off what is holding up the rock wool, troll
wool?