Posted to alt.home.repair
Morgan

Default bifold door hardware to keep door closed

I would like to know if there are bifold doors available that will close
automatically when not held open.

I am talking about standard wood double doors for a kitchen pantry or a
closet.

Does anyone know of any type of hinge or other hardware available that will
accomplish this?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(ojb0oqj0az31le55fploqx45)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=5098116&Source=froogle

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Morgan wrote:

I would like to know if there are bifold doors available that will close
automatically when not held open.

I am talking about standard wood double doors for a kitchen pantry or a
closet.

Does anyone know of any type of hinge or other hardware available that will
accomplish this?

Thanks

I don't know about "door closers" for bifold doors, but last month I
finally built a strong magnetic catch mounted at the center of the
bifold door on our well stuffed front hall closet. That door was
frequently pushed back open because someone didn't neatly fit in a
jacket they'd hung in it. The wimpy expansion spring at the end of the
track which works by applying an overcenter force to the center hinges
was too wimpy to do much.

I used a high energy magnet mounted on a homebrew aluminum bracket an
inch off center at the top of the frame and a piece of 16 gauge steel
screwed to the top backside of one of the door panels with a quarter
inch thick wood spacer under it. That spacer let me locate the magnet
far enough inside the closet so the edge of the door would move past it
without interference.

It sucks the door closed the last half inch with a satisfying "clack".

Problem solved.

(I'm not holding my breath awaiting a call from the Nobel committee for
that design effort, but I do like seeing that door remaining closed now.)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Mon, 1 May 2006 12:21:50 -0500, "Morgan"
wrote:

I would like to know if there are bifold doors available that will close
automatically when not held open.

I am talking about standard wood double doors for a kitchen pantry or a
closet.

Does anyone know of any type of hinge or other hardware available that will
accomplish this?

Thanks

Bungie-cord and couple screw-eyes?

Bifold Door Track Swift Half UK diy 0 November 8th 05 01:35 PM
bifold door guide mechanism Andy Adkin Home Repair 1 March 10th 05 08:50 PM
Bifold doors into convential door frame? [email protected] Home Repair 10 January 7th 05 10:17 PM
Adjusting Bifold Doors C Home Repair 3 March 17th 04 01:56 AM