Posted to alt.home.repair
annita

Default no hot water in the shower

My parents had a shower stall installed in their bathroom and had the
tub removed. And when you turn on the shower no matter which way you move
the handle the water is always cold. The shower faucet has a single handle.
Now my question is how can they get hot water in addition to cold.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"annita" wrote in message
news:0568c63ebcc2860931cd87549bb6bc0f@homerepairli ve.com...
My parents had a shower stall installed in their bathroom and had the
tub removed. And when you turn on the shower no matter which way you move
the handle the water is always cold. The shower faucet has a single
handle.
Now my question is how can they get hot water in addition to cold.

Did they have hot water before? Who did hte plumbing? Could be a defective
or improperly installed faucet. I can't see it from here so I don't know
what was done, but I'd get the installer back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Double-check the shutoff valves. Look for access panels in the wall
behind the shower and work your way to the basement. You can narrow
your search by determining if the sink by the shower has hot water.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mikeytag

I agree with Edwin, the installer is going to be the person that can best
fix this problem. It may be simple like the installer forgot to open the
hot water valve leading to the shower. Or it might be a symptom of a
bigger problem like maybe the water heater? Do you have hot water in other
areas of the house?

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair
Newfie

The cartridge in your tap is in backwards.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"annita" wrote in message
news:0568c63ebcc2860931cd87549bb6bc0f@homerepairli ve.com...
My parents had a shower stall installed in their bathroom and had the
tub removed. And when you turn on the shower no matter which way you move
the handle the water is always cold. The shower faucet has a single
handle.
Now my question is how can they get hot water in addition to cold.

How long ago was it installed? Was it done by a professional who offers some
sort of guarantee on his work?

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Newfie" wrote in message
oups.com...
The cartridge in your tap is in backwards.

Or clogged with solder from inside the pipe due to a crappy solder job.
Safe to say that the cartridge needs attention. In a single handle pressure
balanced faucet, the water should not run at all if pressure to either the
hot or cold is lost so I think the regulator is stuck from debris.

Remove the handle and then the cartridge. Turn on the hot and cold water
supply briefly to flush the new popes into the shower stall. Rinse and
inspect the cartridge and replace. If that does not do it, call the
manufacturer of the faucet and get a new cartridge under warranty.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:46:11 -0500, "annita"
wrote:

My parents had a shower stall installed in their bathroom and had the
tub removed. And when you turn on the shower no matter which way you move
the handle the water is always cold. The shower faucet has a single handle.

Only one handle! Obviously they need another handle. The plumber
forgot to install the hot water handle.

Now my question is how can they get hot water in addition to cold.