Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing old light switch in bath.

I'm replacing the light switch in my bath and bought a new switch, but
this one looks different than the old one I took out. It has three
screws two on the side and one green one on the top. THe old one only
had one on each side. Now I replaced the switch and hooked up the green
wire with the green (ground) screw on the top and the red wire on one
of the screws on the other side but its not working. I know the old
switch is broken cause when I hit the switch I can see that there is a
short in the switch when I wiggle it. But this new switch should work
right? What did I do wrong? Or should I just take it back and get
another?

Posted to alt.home.repair

if you have only two wires,put one on each side of the switch.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jebber007

So you have a green wire and a red wire only? If you only have two wires,
then you don't have grounding support, and they should be connected to the
two side terminals. If there are three wires, then you'll want to connect
the green wire to the ground (green) terminal and the other two wires to
the remaining two terminals.

Jeb

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, does it matter which terminals on the side I attach the wires?

Posted to alt.home.repair
jebber007

No it doesn't. Good luck.

Thanks, does it matter which terminals on the side I attach the wires?

Jeb

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ben Miller

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm replacing the light switch in my bath and bought a new switch, but
this one looks different than the old one I took out. It has three
screws two on the side and one green one on the top. THe old one only
had one on each side. Now I replaced the switch and hooked up the green
wire with the green (ground) screw on the top and the red wire on one
of the screws on the other side but its not working. I know the old
switch is broken cause when I hit the switch I can see that there is a
short in the switch when I wiggle it. But this new switch should work
right? What did I do wrong? Or should I just take it back and get
another?

DO NOT connect the green wire to the green screw! It could be very
dangerous, since it sounds like the green wire, in this case, may be
energized at line voltage. You have a wiring problem in your house, at least
with regard to wire colors. The two wires should be something other than
green. I strongly urge you to have an electrician check into this.

Ben Miller

--
Benjamin D. Miller, PE
B. MILLER ENGINEERING

Light switch problem John Home Repair 5 April 2nd 06 03:59 PM
wiring confusion/ouside light James UK diy 1 May 25th 05 05:07 AM
Basic Light Switch Wiring--Help! Cabrzama Home Repair 7 November 17th 04 05:37 AM
3 way switch disaster (long but interesting) RB Home Repair 8 July 23rd 04 03:18 PM
Wireless slave light switch Michael Brewer UK diy 6 February 19th 04 07:06 PM