Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Olmsted

Default Lp to Natural gas for BBQ

Was looking at Lowes this morning at bigger BBQ's. I thought I'd like to
have one I could connect to the house Natural gas with a quick connect. Can
you convert these BBQ's? They do have a commercial one that is Natural gas
but about $100 more. But maybe if converting an LP to Natural would run
about the same, maybe it wouldn't be worth doing it. The commercial was also
bigger than I want. I'm just tired of dealing with the tanks. Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Paul Olmsted" wrote in message
Was looking at Lowes this morning at bigger BBQ's. I thought I'd like to
have one I could connect to the house Natural gas with a quick connect.
Can you convert these BBQ's? They do have a commercial one that is Natural
gas but about $100 more. But maybe if converting an LP to Natural would
run about the same, maybe it wouldn't be worth doing it. The commercial
was also bigger than I want. I'm just tired of dealing with the tanks.
Thanks.

Most every brand makes a kit for conversion. Check out the web page of the
one you are interested in. Go to some place other than Lowes for a good
selection of quality grills instead of the mass market stuff. Propane
dealers and some garden shops carry better quality brands.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Paul Olmsted" wrote in message
m...
Was looking at Lowes this morning at bigger BBQ's. I thought I'd like to
have one I could connect to the house Natural gas with a quick connect.
Can you convert these BBQ's? They do have a commercial one that is Natural
gas but about $100 more. But maybe if converting an LP to Natural would
run about the same, maybe it wouldn't be worth doing it. The commercial
was also bigger than I want. I'm just tired of dealing with the tanks.
Thanks.

Most every brand makes a kit for conversion. Check out the web page of the
one you are interested in. Go to some place other than Lowes for a good
selection of quality grills instead of the mass market stuff. Propane
dealers and some garden shops carry better quality brands.

... at substantially higher prices, of course.

There is a much wider selection of much better grills at Home Depot than at
Lowes.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen

"Paul Olmsted" writes:

Was looking at Lowes this morning at bigger BBQ's. I thought I'd like to
have one I could connect to the house Natural gas with a quick connect. Can
you convert these BBQ's? They do have a commercial one that is Natural gas
but about $100 more. But maybe if converting an LP to Natural would run
about the same, maybe it wouldn't be worth doing it. The commercial was also
bigger than I want. I'm just tired of dealing with the tanks. Thanks.

I'm surprised more people don't go this route.

I got mine online at Dickson Supply.

I don't think a conversion is the right way to go.
Most of the bottled gas models are on wheels.
With NG you want something that doesn't move around.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"Paul Olmsted" wrote in message
Was looking at Lowes this morning at bigger BBQ's. I thought I'd like to
have one I could connect to the house Natural gas with a quick connect.
Can you convert these BBQ's? They do have a commercial one that is Natural
gas but about $100 more. But maybe if converting an LP to Natural would
run about the same, maybe it wouldn't be worth doing it. The commercial
was also bigger than I want. I'm just tired of dealing with the tanks.
Thanks.

I found it was cheaper to buy a natural gas grill than to try to convert a
LP grill.
I suspect they only make expensive ones in NG because that is what sells.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Paul Olmsted wrote:

Was looking at Lowes this morning at bigger BBQ's. I thought I'd like to
have one I could connect to the house Natural gas with a quick connect. Can
you convert these BBQ's? They do have a commercial one that is Natural gas
but about $100 more. But maybe if converting an LP to Natural would run
about the same, maybe it wouldn't be worth doing it. The commercial was also
bigger than I want. I'm just tired of dealing with the tanks. Thanks.

Hi,
Up here in Canada, NG ones are about $50.00 more. Just buy a model made
for NG hook up. My gas outlet was already on my patio w/ball valve. I
just installed quick connect fitting with a length of hose. I can move
around the BBQ quite a bit. No more lugging around tank to refill.
Posted to alt.home.repair
PDQ

"Paul Olmsted" wrote in message ...
| Was looking at Lowes this morning at bigger BBQ's. I thought I'd like to
| have one I could connect to the house Natural gas with a quick connect. Can
| you convert these BBQ's? They do have a commercial one that is Natural gas
| but about $100 more. But maybe if converting an LP to Natural would run
| about the same, maybe it wouldn't be worth doing it. The commercial was also
| bigger than I want. I'm just tired of dealing with the tanks. Thanks.
|
| --
| Paul O.

All you need to do is get a new orfice. NG is about 1/2 the btu output of propane so the orfice should be 2 times as large. There is a bit more to it than that so just reaming out the current orfice will not get the desired results. These changes usually cost about $40.

See your local BBQ dealer.

--
PDQ

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

All you need to do is get a new orfice. NG is about 1/2 the btu output of
propane so the orfice should be 2 times as large. There is a bit more to
it than that so just reaming out the current orfice will not get the
desired results. These changes usually cost about $40.

I took the 5 burner manifold from our "Aussie" grill into the local BBQ
shop and they drilled out our 5 old orifices to a larger size.

See your local BBQ dealer.

Thats who did the job..works fine

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

.. at substantially higher prices, of course.

There is a much wider selection of much better grills at Home Depot than
at
Lowes.

You get what you pay for. You won't find this at HD or Lowes.
http://www.napoleongrills.com/Websha.../Benefits.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 01:52:18 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

.. at substantially higher prices, of course.

There is a much wider selection of much better grills at Home Depot than
at Lowes.

You get what you pay for. You won't find this at HD or Lowes.
http://www.napoleongrills.com/Websha.../Benefits.html

Or this one? http://www.rhpeterson.com/firemagic/

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Posted to alt.home.repair
George

Doug Miller wrote:

There is a much wider selection of much better grills at Home Depot than at
Lowes.

Possibly but the quality will be similar.
Posted to alt.home.repair
PDQ

"Rudy" wrote in message news:s0C0g.30268$7a.24055@pd7tw1no...

| All you need to do is get a new orfice. NG is about 1/2 the btu output of
| propane so the orfice should be 2 times as large. There is a bit more to
| it than that so just reaming out the current orfice will not get the
| desired results. These changes usually cost about $40.
|
| I took the 5 burner manifold from our "Aussie" grill into the local BBQ
| shop and they drilled out our 5 old orifices to a larger size.
|
| See your local BBQ dealer.
|
| Thats who did the job..works fine

Just reaming out the orfice will allow enough NG to get to the burner, but, because the air/fuel mixture is not altered, the reamed barbie will not attain the desired temperatures.

--
PDQ

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"PDQ" wrote in message
"Rudy" wrote in message

| All you need to do is get a new orfice. NG is about 1/2 the btu output
of
| propane so the orfice should be 2 times as large. There is a bit more to
| it than that so just reaming out the current orfice will not get the
| desired results. These changes usually cost about $40.
|
| I took the 5 burner manifold from our "Aussie" grill into the local BBQ
| shop and they drilled out our 5 old orifices to a larger size.
|
| See your local BBQ dealer.
|
| Thats who did the job..works fine

Just reaming out the orfice will allow enough NG to get to the burner, but,
because the air/fuel mixture is not altered, the reamed barbie will not
attain the desired temperatures.

--
PDQ

--

You may also need to replace the valves so they operate over the desired
range. Since you need 2x as much NG. High on a propane knob will only be

Posted to alt.home.repair
PDQ

"PipeDown" wrote in message ink.net...

| "PDQ" wrote in message
| "Rudy" wrote in message
| |
| | All you need to do is get a new orfice. NG is about 1/2 the btu output
| of
| | propane so the orfice should be 2 times as large. There is a bit more to
| | it than that so just reaming out the current orfice will not get the
| | desired results. These changes usually cost about $40.
| |
| | I took the 5 burner manifold from our "Aussie" grill into the local BBQ
| | shop and they drilled out our 5 old orifices to a larger size.
| |
| | See your local BBQ dealer.
| |
| | Thats who did the job..works fine
| |
| |
| |

| Just reaming out the orfice will allow enough NG to get to the burner, but,
| because the air/fuel mixture is not altered, the reamed barbie will not
| attain the desired temperatures.
|
| --
| PDQ
|
| --
|
| You may also need to replace the valves so they operate over the desired
| range. Since you need 2x as much NG. High on a propane knob will only be
| medium with NG. It depends on your model. For highest efficiency, even the
| holes in the burner should be considered.

Hey Pipe;

Nice to know there is somebody who actually agrees with me.

--
PDQ