Room Darkening Window Film for Homes

Old April 16th 06, 10:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Room Darkening Window Film for Homes

I wanted to get some room darkening film for my bedroom window since the
sun here comes up at 4am and wakes me up. I went to Lowes and found many
different types. There are ones that that are a silver/platinum that
will add privacy and also ones that are bronze that will keep the summer
sun/heat out and the winter heat in and so forth.. but none that combine
the features.

I would like something that will cut down on the 4am sun to keep me
sleeping and also have the benefits for heat retention(winter)/and
control(summer). I tried window shades but the sunlight comes right
through the sides.

I would also like a quality product that is durable, easy to put on/take
off and reuse when needed again.

Anything that auto-darkens when there is excessive light and then
lightens when there is less light like many sun glasses that people wear?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old April 16th 06, 10:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

J Huntley Palmer wrote:
Any suggestions?

If you want to keep the room really dark you'll need opaque blackout
blinds.

If appearance isn't an issue and you just want to make the room dark all
the time, line the inside of the windows with aluminum foil.

Old April 16th 06, 11:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I worked 3rd shift some time ago and my solution was to get room darkening
blinds. I'd like to know who determined that they darkened the room? Yeah,
it was not as bright but dark it was not! Then I found black blinds,they
were almost perfect, then I was able to find heavy weight black curtains.
This was perfect no light at all. I got a good "days" sleep thereafter.

Searcher

Old April 17th 06, 12:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 22:47:21 GMT, "Shopdog" wrote:

I worked 3rd shift some time ago and my solution was to get room darkening
blinds. I'd like to know who determined that they darkened the room? Yeah,
it was not as bright but dark it was not! Then I found black blinds,they
were almost perfect, then I was able to find heavy weight black curtains.
This was perfect no light at all. I got a good "days" sleep thereafter.

Searcher

There are studies that show people who "work 3rf shift" have a higher
rate of some kinds of cancers than people who sleep at night, I
believe because the body needs darkness to produce melatonin. Or
something. So your black-out curtains sound perfect.
Old April 17th 06, 12:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
. ..
If you want to keep the room really dark you'll need opaque blackout
blinds.

If appearance isn't an issue and you just want to make the room dark all
the time, line the inside of the windows with aluminum foil.

Back in the late 1970s, I was a 3rd shift computer operator... I wanted to
darken my room, so I tried various techniques... I tried putting styrofoam
insulation sheets up in the windows, cut to the exact size of the window
opening... Turns out that they still transmit quite a bit of light in bright
sunlight... Putting a couple of coats of latex black paint on them with a
roller eventually got them to the point where they were bearable... If I
needed to do it these days, I would take two sheets of the styrofoam
insulation, sandwich an aluminum foil layer between them and then paint them
white on the outside so that would look somewhat like curtains... Maybe cut
them a bit larger than the window opening and put a wooden frame around them
so that it would look like window trim and hang them over the window
opening... That way, the mini blinds would still be visible from the outside
and what might be visible between the blinds would be white like the
curtains... Hell, if you want to get fancy about it, have large photo
mounted on the cover so that it looks like you're looking out at a
particular scene... One window could have a mountain landscape and the other
one, a beach view... Probably beats the 'ell out of the view of your
neighbor's yard anyway... grin

Old April 18th 06, 05:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 22:47:21 GMT, "Shopdog" wrote:

I worked 3rd shift some time ago and my solution was to get room darkening
blinds. I'd like to know who determined that they darkened the room? Yeah,
it was not as bright but dark it was not! Then I found black blinds,they
were almost perfect, then I was able to find heavy weight black curtains.
This was perfect no light at all. I got a good "days" sleep thereafter.

Searcher

I don't work at night, but I do like it very dark, something difficult
with all the lights outside. I just got a couple of thick towels for
each window. They need to be a dark color.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com