Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

Default Weed killer for driveway?

I have a gravel driveway and would like to permanently kill everything that
grows there. I saturated the area with Roundup which killed some of the
weeds but not all, and after two weeks everything was growing again. I
sprayed it with Green Thumb Weed and Grass Killer and that also killed only
some of the weeds. Has anyone had any experience with anything that will
permanently and totally kill weeds and grass and prevent regrowth for an
entire season?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

RobertM wrote:
I have a gravel driveway and would like to permanently kill everything
that grows there. I saturated the area with Roundup which killed some
of the weeds but not all, and after two weeks everything was growing
again. I sprayed it with Green Thumb Weed and Grass Killer and that
also killed only some of the weeds. Has anyone had any experience
with anything that will permanently and totally kill weeds and grass
and prevent regrowth for an entire season?

Bob

Try:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...020&lpage=none

or its equivalent.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cam

RobertM wrote:
I have a gravel driveway and would like to permanently kill everything that
grows there. I saturated the area with Roundup which killed some of the
weeds but not all, and after two weeks everything was growing again. I
sprayed it with Green Thumb Weed and Grass Killer and that also killed only
some of the weeds. Has anyone had any experience with anything that will
permanently and totally kill weeds and grass and prevent regrowth for an
entire season?

Bob

Asphalt or concrete will kill the weeds and prevent their reappearance.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Waller

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 09:53:15 -0500, "RobertM" wrote:

I have a gravel driveway and would like to permanently kill everything that
grows there. I saturated the area with Roundup which killed some of the
weeds but not all, and after two weeks everything was growing again. I
sprayed it with Green Thumb Weed and Grass Killer and that also killed only
some of the weeds. Has anyone had any experience with anything that will
permanently and totally kill weeds and grass and prevent regrowth for an
entire season?

Bob

I have usually had luck with spraying white vinegar on gravel and seams in
concrete.
____________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Posted to alt.home.repair

Its environmentally incorrect but gasoline will kill stuff withing a
hour. slow regrowth does occur, usually 2 treatments per year do it.
still cheaper than most vegation killers

yeah i know i am bad, it works fast and is still pretty cheap

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

RobertM wrote:

I have a gravel driveway and would like to permanently kill everything that
grows there. I saturated the area with Roundup which killed some of the
weeds but not all, and after two weeks everything was growing again. I
sprayed it with Green Thumb Weed and Grass Killer and that also killed only
some of the weeds. Has anyone had any experience with anything that will
permanently and totally kill weeds and grass and prevent regrowth for an
entire season?

Bob

The EPA might not like it, but diesel fuel works wonders with the weeds
and grass in cracks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

"Cam" wrote in message
RobertM wrote:
I have a gravel driveway and would like to permanently kill everything
that grows there. I saturated the area with Roundup which killed some of
the weeds but not all, and after two weeks everything was growing again.
I sprayed it with Green Thumb Weed and Grass Killer and that also killed
only some of the weeds. Has anyone had any experience with anything that
will permanently and totally kill weeds and grass and prevent regrowth
for an entire season?

Bob

Asphalt or concrete will kill the weeds and prevent their reappearance.

Yep, but they want $1800 to pave the driveway. That'll buy a lot of weed
killer.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

RobertM wrote:
I have a gravel driveway and would like to permanently kill everything that
grows there. I saturated the area with Roundup which killed some of the
weeds but not all, and after two weeks everything was growing again. I
sprayed it with Green Thumb Weed and Grass Killer and that also killed only
some of the weeds. Has anyone had any experience with anything that will
permanently and totally kill weeds and grass and prevent regrowth for an
entire season?

Bob

Most weed killers only kil gowing weeds, Seeds are uneffected and will
sprout when ready

Roundup will need reapps..

I use Triox Vegetation killer years ago but it letches away with rain &
watering...............kills plants "downstream" Ooops!

cheers
Bib

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stan

"BobK207" wrote in message
ups.com...

RobertM wrote:
[...]

Leaches/washes away. Sure does and then into our, or somebody else's, water
supply!
How come, for example, the North American Great Lakes are becoming so
polluted with chemicals. Chicago water supply here we come!

Driveways on the usually smaller urban lots are often already paved when you
buy the house or cost little to do so!
Coupla thousand maybe!

So whenever anyone mentions a 'gravel driveway' it envisions a rural area?
That often means either ground water or deeper drilled wells for domestic
supplies?

We have a well that today is unusable (certainly undrinkable) because of
various neighbours over the years having irresponsibly used pesticide and
herbicides. Sometimes for no better reason than a few dandelions!

Ah well; global warming, additional flooding and the increasing number of
typhoons etc. will take care of all of us. Let alone a few weeds!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

RobertM wrote:
I have a gravel driveway and would like to permanently kill everything that
grows there. I saturated the area with Roundup which killed some of the
weeds but not all, and after two weeks everything was growing again. I
sprayed it with Green Thumb Weed and Grass Killer and that also killed only
some of the weeds. Has anyone had any experience with anything that will
permanently and totally kill weeds and grass and prevent regrowth for an
entire season?

Bob

If there is soil and moisture, weeds will grow. Only a solid surface,
as long as it is free of cracks, will be a "permanent" solution. Deeper
gravel would probably help, but Roundup during growing season is
probably the most effective choice. Strong stuff. If the growth is
mainly broadleaf weeds - plantain, dandelion, etc. - you could keep a
hose-end sprayer with broadleaf weed killer handy and hit the weeds when
they reach a bothersome size and density. If it is grassy stuff, or a
mixture, then a sprayer with vegetation killer should make quick work of
it, used every month or so.

Isolating the gravel from surrounding lawn might help if weeds or grass
are spreading in from the lawn.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Cam wrote:
RobertM wrote:

I have a gravel driveway and would like to permanently kill everything
that grows there. I saturated the area with Roundup which killed some
of the weeds but not all, and after two weeks everything was growing
again. I sprayed it with Green Thumb Weed and Grass Killer and that
also killed only some of the weeds. Has anyone had any experience with
anything that will permanently and totally kill weeds and grass and
prevent regrowth for an entire season?

Bob

Asphalt or concrete will kill the weeds and prevent their reappearance.

Damn! You beat me to it. G

About 20 years ago I used a Dupont product calaaed Vapam to kill
everything, including insects, when I wanted to rebuild our front lawn
"from the ground up". Worked great as I recall.

I think Dupont sold the product/name to some other company, but it's
still listed on this page describing non-selective herbicides:

http://tinyurl.com/hc94z

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Cam wrote:
RobertM wrote:
I have a gravel driveway and would like to permanently kill
everything that grows there. I saturated the area with Roundup which
killed some of the weeds but not all, and after two weeks everything
was growing again. I sprayed it with Green Thumb Weed and Grass
Killer and that also killed only some of the weeds. Has anyone had
any experience with anything that will permanently and totally kill
weeds and grass and prevent regrowth for an entire season?

Bob

Asphalt or concrete will kill the weeds and prevent their
reappearance.

I have seen some really tough weeds come up right though asphalt.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

And new seeds are deposited regularly.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

RobertM wrote:
I have a gravel driveway and would like to permanently kill everything that
grows there. I saturated the area with Roundup which killed some of the
weeds but not all, and after two weeks everything was growing again. I
sprayed it with Green Thumb Weed and Grass Killer and that also killed only
some of the weeds. Has anyone had any experience with anything that will
permanently and totally kill weeds and grass and prevent regrowth for an
entire season?

Bob

You need to use a vegetation killer not a weed
killer. You will still probably have to apply it
at least twice each season.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry

wrote:

I have a gravel driveway and would like to permanently kill everything that
grows there. I saturated the area with Roundup which killed some of the
weeds but not all, and after two weeks everything was growing again. I
sprayed it with Green Thumb Weed and Grass Killer and that also killed only
some of the weeds. Has anyone had any experience with anything that will
permanently and totally kill weeds and grass and prevent regrowth for an
entire season?

Most garden stores and big boxes (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) sell total
vegitation killers. These do work pretty well for a single season, but
they have disadvantages as mentioned by others. They are not
environmentally friendly, and the chemicals can flow downstream and
kill other stuff. If there are trees or shrubs near the drive, I would
be reluctant to use a total vegitation killer for fear of hurting the
shrubs.

I have found a combination of round-up and preen works pretty well.
Roundup kills the currently growing stuff, but won't hurt anything
downstream, because it has to be absorbed through the leaves. Preen
keeps new germination from happening, but doesn't kill anything that
currently exists, so again you don't risk damaging existing plants.
One application probably won't work for the entire season, but two or
perhaps 3 applications per season should do it. You might be able to
get away with a first application of both in spring, and then just
preen in mid-summer.

Both roundup and preen are less damaging to ground water and the
environment than a total vegitation killer.

If you already have a fair number of weeds, you will need to use 2
applications of round-up, about a week apart. Despite what the bottle
says, in my experience round-up does not kill everything in one
application. Round-up works best when things are growing, so it's
effective in Spring.

Otho and some others are selling combination chemicals that seem to be
a combination of round-up and a preen-like substance. I haven't tried
them (I've just used the two products separtely), but they might be
worth a try.

Terry

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Stan wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message
ups.com...

RobertM wrote:
[...]

Chiil Stan-

I mis-typed I "used" Triox Years ago (25); once & it letched, I
don't use it any more

eat a Red!

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

BobK207 wrote:

I mis-typed I "used" Triox Years ago (25); once & it letched, I
don't use it any more

I wouldn't use a lecher around my family either!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

RobertM wrote:
I have a gravel driveway and would like to permanently kill
everything that grows there. I saturated the area with Roundup which
killed some of the weeds but not all, and after two weeks everything
was growing again. I sprayed it with Green Thumb Weed and Grass
Killer and that also killed only some of the weeds. Has anyone had
any experience with anything that will permanently and totally kill
weeds and grass and prevent regrowth for an entire season?

1. RoundUp et al only kill what they contact

2. New seeds will sprout

3. There are chemicals which will sterilize the ground but I don't think
they are available to home owners.

4. If your driveway gets lots of sun you could cover it with black
plastic for a few days...that will kill most all including seeds.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cam

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Cam wrote:

RobertM wrote:

I have a gravel driveway and would like to permanently kill
everything that grows there. I saturated the area with Roundup which
killed some of the weeds but not all, and after two weeks everything
was growing again. I sprayed it with Green Thumb Weed and Grass
Killer and that also killed only some of the weeds. Has anyone had
any experience with anything that will permanently and totally kill
weeds and grass and prevent regrowth for an entire season?

Bob

Asphalt or concrete will kill the weeds and prevent their
reappearance.

I have seen some really tough weeds come up right though asphalt.

might need a priest for those
Posted to alt.home.repair

landscape contractors have much stronger effective chemicals, to be
assured they are used properly....

homeowners type chemicals are weak versions of what used to be
effective treatments.

theres a safe cheap effective treatment, spread rocksalt on the area
and water it in preferably with hot water.

ever notice the dead grass near sidewalks treated with salt? just do it
on your driveway.

i dump it in my washtub and add hot water a few times a year, espically
in the spring, my terracota sewer line is bad, this kills the tree
roots while the trees grow fine.

safe cheap effective

Posted to alt.home.repair
thehick

"theres a safe cheap effective treatment, spread rocksalt on the area
and water it in preferably with hot water.
ever notice the dead grass near sidewalks treated with salt? just do it

on your driveway.
i dump it in my washtub and add hot water a few times a year,
especially
in the spring, my terracota sewer line is bad, this kills the tree
roots while the trees grow fine. "

I would like to pursue this idea. Is it for real? a lot of what i
read on the
net looks like: "i had a problem, i put enter-treatment-here, and i
never
had it again."
well, somebody even said they used Round-up which is ineffective on
roots.
so, about this rock salt. have you actually seen the roots? i can use
it cause it's pretty cheap but i'm very interested in seeing some
results
of studies.
thanks for any help you can give...thehick

Posted to alt.home.repair
artmaker

I also have weed problems. OLD cracked asphalt driveway and a long
one. Surely can't afford to replace it. And I read all the posts
here. NONE of it works! Roundup is the closest to a working product
but not against crabgrass. NOTHING kills that. Tried black plastic on
a small veggie plot. Left it there for SIX MONTHS! Yea right. Well
when I picked it up, the crabgrass that was under it was all yellow.
And in a week it sprung right back to life!!!
Tried vinigar, salt, even some of the strong stuff my husband got while
delivering it to farmers. I dont' want to use any of it. I have a
well and don't want to hurt the environment even if I didn't have a
well. This stuff doesn't just go away. It all goes somewhere! I keep
roundup on hand for the occasional large weed that got past me in
spring. But that's all.

It's not the prettiest way but affordable. I make cement stepping
stones to sell at craft shows. The extra cement poured into the cracks
will STOP the problem. First dig out all the weeds and as much dirt as
you can. Then when I clean the bucket anyway, I make sure I have extra
and dump the extra cement in the cracks. Again not pretty but no
weeds! I have even done this by pouring in the dry cement mix into the
cracks and lightly spraying it with a hose. It works.

Don't know what to tell the poster about gravel. Ever try racking it
on occasion? I have a simple weeding tool for my garden works on the
principal that it slices the young weeds at the base before they get
too big. Works well if you go at it on a regular basis. Deeper gravel
will help too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jebber007

Just pave your driveway! Gasoline/Diesel fuel is horrible for the
environment. Or just deal with having to re-apply the vegetation killer.

I can't believe anyone would recommend dumping gasoline onto the ground.
Sheesh.

Jeb

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

RobertM writes:

Has anyone had any experience with anything that will
permanently and totally kill weeds and grass and prevent regrowth for an
entire season?

A few inches of asphalt works well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I can't believe anyone would recommend dumping gasoline onto the
ground.
Sheesh.

Jeb

You ONLY need to use a very small amount and it killls fast, whats
leftover evaporates.

Its not like someone is dumping gallons of the stuff contaminating the
ground water

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

I found that dry concrete (not mixed) makes a great filler. It
more or less sterilizes the ground under it and as it rains the
stuff gets pushed into the cracks and makes a good hard gravel
that keeps the weeds down well. It crumbles of course and isn't
"cement", but it does last a couple seasons or more at a time, in
my case anyway. Over gravel and sand, it seems to work well.
HTH
Pop
"Never forget that everything Hitler did
in Germany was legal." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"jebber007" noreply@ wrote in message
news:eebee2a552d2259892fd42dbf948df17@homerepairli ve.com...
Just pave your driveway! Gasoline/Diesel fuel is horrible for
the
environment. Or just deal with having to re-apply the
vegetation killer.

I can't believe anyone would recommend dumping gasoline onto
the ground.
Sheesh.

Jeb

Posted to alt.home.repair

a neighbor wanted a gravel driveway with no mud or weeds ever.

he had it dug out extra deep, had layer of cheap asphalt laid, then
covered with 6 inches of compacted gravel.

to this day no weeds mud etc. he claimed it cost less than a real
asphalt driveway and never required sealing etc...