Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ideas for cheap bar height table and stools?

I'm looking for a CHEAP out of box way to make some
standing bar height table and stools

Table needs to be at least 36" tall and taller is
better.... say 40"

I could use fiber barrels I supposes. Spray paint them
white. see link

http://tinyurl.com/oeb65

Any other ideas tho?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Proctologically Violated©®

Milk crates?

There's a sort of a paper/printing factory here in Yonkers, NY, that gets
rolls of paper shipped on pallets. The inner cardboard tubes can be
*immense*--nearly 1" thick walls, and possibly over a foot in diameter,
enormously strong.
If you can locate such a factory in your area, these tubes may prove useful.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
wrote in message
I'm looking for a CHEAP out of box way to make some
standing bar height table and stools

Table needs to be at least 36" tall and taller is
better.... say 40"

I could use fiber barrels I supposes. Spray paint them
white. see link

http://tinyurl.com/oeb65

Any other ideas tho?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

wrote in message
I'm looking for a CHEAP out of box way to make some
standing bar height table and stools

That would depend upon what you consider "cheap"...

Table needs to be at least 36" tall and taller is
better.... say 40"

I could use fiber barrels I supposes. Spray paint them
white.

Depending upon the size, those were around $40-50... That just gives you the
base for the table... You still need the table top...

Maybe make the pedestals out of CMUs filled with concrete? Two CMUs across
will give you a column 16"x16" and 5 rows up will give you 40 inches in
height... 10 CMUs per pedestal at around $1.20 each -- $12... One 80-lb bag
of concrete will fill 3 CMUs and at around $3 per bag, you're looking at an
additional $10... Another $3 for rebar and you're looking at a total of
around $25 per pedestal... You're looking at a pedestal that will weigh
around 300 lbs, so it's not going to walk off by itself that easily... The
table tops can be made round or square and put on a single pedestal, or
rectangular and put on two pedestals... If you want to make the pedestals a
bit more fancy, cover them with tile, slate, or something else... The major
advantage of concrete would be that you wouldn't have to worry about it
disintergrating after getting wet like what might happen with some of the
fiber and particle board solutions...

The same type of thing could be used for seating surfaces... Shorter
pedestals with a short bench top across them... If you're going to be moving
them around though, you'll definitely want one of the 2-wheeled hand
trucks...

I bought this one from Home Depot... It's rated for 800 lbs and I used it
for moving varios things, including my dog's 300 lb water 'dish'...
http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/...72605028_4.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"3rd eye" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 14:57:33 -0500, wrote:

I'm looking for a CHEAP out of box way to make some
standing bar height table and stools

Table needs to be at least 36" tall and taller is
better.... say 40"

I could use fiber barrels I supposes. Spray paint them
white. see link

http://tinyurl.com/oeb65

Any other ideas tho?

You want it cheap?
Virtually anything can be found in the right dumpster.

Nothing against dumspter diving- I do it myself whenever I get the chance
(not often these days). But a better source may be garage/moving sales, and
the high season for those is almost upon us. If there is a college in or
near your town, find out when their term ends, and arrange to be there that
weekend. College kids are notorius for selling for pennies, or throwing out,
some amazing things. They usually didn't pay for it, so don't consider it
worth anything, or it simply isn't worth shipping home. Even now, 25 years
later, I still have a few items I obtained that way.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

wrote:
I'm looking for a CHEAP out of box way to make some
standing bar height table and stools

Table needs to be at least 36" tall and taller is
better.... say 40"

I could use fiber barrels I supposes. Spray paint them
white. see link

http://tinyurl.com/oeb65

Any other ideas tho?

I used one of those, with a round of plywood and a home made tablecloth
when ... that was back when I was young. Used for storage and table
space. The "all fiber" drums are tres chic )

Concrete blocks and a prefinished shelf from the box store?
Two unfinished bookcases, facing each other at ends, shelf fastened for top?
Laminate a bunch of corrugated cardboard, cut to size and braced with
one by. Put on clear finish.
Cruise wealthy neighborhood evening before trash day.
Dumpster dive at furniture or kitchen fabricating shops.
Masonry supply foam trims, put on stucco, paint, glass top.
Restaurant supply shops often sell used stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

ameijers wrote:
Nothing against dumspter diving- I do it myself whenever I get the
chance (not often these days). But a better source may be
garage/moving sales, and the high season for those is almost upon us.
If there is a college in or near your town, find out when their term
ends, and arrange to be there that weekend. College kids are notorius
for selling for pennies, or throwing out, some amazing things. They
usually didn't pay for it, so don't consider it worth anything, or it
simply isn't worth shipping home. Even now, 25 years later, I still
have a few items I obtained that way.

My son goes "foraging" the night before "heavy trash day" (once a month in
my city). Here's the result of what he "scored" last month.

Log-roller. Turns newspaper into fireplace logs: Sold on Ebay for $22.
Apple II Computer, external drive, no monitor: Sold on Ebay for $27.
Atari computer box. Just the empty cardboard box, no computer: Sold on Ebay
for $7.
Funky light fixtu Installed in bath to replace even funkier original.
About 150 teeny bowls, each holding about 1/4 cup: Sold the lot for $10 to
candle-maker hobbiest.
12" Darkroom timer: Sold on Ebay for $17.50.

Next Friday is heavy-trash day again. I'm going with him!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Philip Lewis wrote:

What size/shape top? Do you want a round top, or long bar that has a
serving and an "order" side?

Round.... smallish diameter maybe 24" diameter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Philip Lewis wrote:

Concrete tube forms (Is "sonotube" a generic or brand name?)
Could work. We've used them in theatre for very large columns.
You could weight the bottom with sandbags (inside the tube) if you
don't want these for long term or extra rough use.

Where could a person buy these things?

Lowe's? Home Depot?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Philip Lewis wrote:

That's a heavy table!
(assuming i didn't mess up the calculations)
Perhaps something lighter for the top and column.

I wont be filling the tubes with concrete