Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Timer for Light Switch??

I live in an apartment and I'm not allowed to screw around with
internal wiring. So I can't remove an already installed light switch.
Having said that, about two years ago I say a mechanical battery
powered device that fits overtop an installed light switch and flicks
it on and off at certain times - programmed in. Sounds pretty
interesting.
I think I saw it in those airplane magazines - skymall. Usually its
junk.
Has anyone seen a timer device like this?

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in an apartment and I'm not allowed to screw around with
internal wiring. So I can't remove an already installed light switch.
Having said that, about two years ago I say a mechanical battery
powered device that fits overtop an installed light switch and flicks
it on and off at certain times - programmed in. Sounds pretty
interesting.
I think I saw it in those airplane magazines - skymall. Usually its
junk.
Has anyone seen a timer device like this?

Buy a in the box wall timer and just remember to remove it before you leave.

If your paranoid then pay the landlord to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

try an x10 timer... do a google or go to smarthome.com or comparable
site

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On 14 Apr 2006 17:37:24 -0700, wrote:

try an x10 timer... do a google or go to smarthome.com or comparable
site

There are X10 light modules that screw in the socket. If there's room
you don't have to do anything to the wiring.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On 15 Apr 2006 09:56:08 -0700, wrote:

I'm not quite sure I understand how that wold work

I have one of those things. It screws into a light socket and sticks
out a couple of inches and is round except a bulge for a power
transistor. You screw a light bulb in to this. It then performs as an
X10 light module. You can turn it on and off from any X10 controller
that can be plugged into any 120V receptacle on the same power
transformer. X10 calls the module "socket rocket".

You can get these things from
http://www.smarthome.com/2005cm.html

http://www.smarthome.com/4030SH.HTML is a link to one of the simple
plug-in controllers that can be used with this. There are many other
X10 modules available on this site, including wireless controllers.

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 14 Apr 2006 17:37:24 -0700, wrote:

try an x10 timer... do a google or go to smarthome.com or comparable
site

There are X10 light modules that screw in the socket. If there's room
you don't have to do anything to the wiring.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
RickR

Better off with Intermatic!

They make timers of all sorts and are usually found in local hardware
stores. The locals can talk you through the installation.

RickR