Posted to alt.home.repair
Godzillarama

Default Hot Water Heater: Gas vs. Electric

Greetings. I used Google to see if there had been any *recent* discussions
of this and it appears that there hasn't.

I live in the Kansas City area and my natual gas bill level pay is $127.00.
I'm betting it shoots way up once we have a REAL winter instead of the
pretend winter we just had.

The wife is not too keen on our hot water heater. It was here when we
moved in three years ago. She's afraid of it, frankly. For one thing, the
pilot light tends to get snuffed when we run the attic fan. It 's old.
It's an off brand. And in general she's just plain apprehensive of, well,
US BLOWING UP for whatever reason.

We just replaced a door and several windows, as well as all of our bulbs
with those nifty flourescent things, and the light bill went way down.

Either way, it's time to do something about The Hot Water Heater Issue.
I'm inclined to get an electric hot water heater instead of gas. We have a
220 line nearby so the wiring wouldn't be too bad. We have 2300 square
feet and four baths. Previously posts on this topic are consistent that
gas should be cheaper; but is it still? What would you do?

Your thoughts. Thanks for commenting.

Godzilla
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Godzillarama" wrote in message
Either way, it's time to do something about The Hot Water Heater Issue.
I'm inclined to get an electric hot water heater instead of gas. We have
220 line nearby so the wiring wouldn't be too bad. We have 2300 square
feet and four baths. Previously posts on this topic are consistent that
gas should be cheaper; but is it still? What would you do?

I'd stick with gas. I don't know your local rates, but here in CT, electric
is much more expensive. Gas has faster recovery, is more economical. Is
that 220 line sufficient for the amp draw of the heater?

There is no accounting for irrational fears of gas though. If the pilot is
blowing out due to the attic fan, you have to be sure proper air intake is
provided, not the fault of the gas heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Godzillarama" wrote in message
Either way, it's time to do something about The Hot Water Heater Issue.
I'm inclined to get an electric hot water heater instead of gas. We have
220 line nearby so the wiring wouldn't be too bad. We have 2300 square
feet and four baths. Previously posts on this topic are consistent that
gas should be cheaper; but is it still? What would you do?

I'd stick with gas. I don't know your local rates, but here in CT, electric
is much more expensive. Gas has faster recovery, is more economical. Is
that 220 line sufficient for the amp draw of the heater?

There is no accounting for irrational fears of gas though. If the pilot is
blowing out due to the attic fan, you have to be sure proper air intake is
provided, not the fault of the gas heater.

I'd probably go with the gas one too for the reasons Edwin outlined.
Gas is still generally cheaper than electric, though the gap has
narrowed in recent years. Also, some utilities have lower rates for
water heaters connected on a seperate meter that run only during off
peak hours.

The recovery rate can be important depending on how many users there
are and gas will win out there. The only other factor worth
mentioning is that electric units generally last considerably longer
than gas. For gas 10-13 years is typical, electric I would say 20 is
not uncommon.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 12:46:44 GMT, Godzillarama
wrote:

[...]

Ignoring, for the moment, the psychological issues, the sensible thing
to do would be to get either your gas-provider or some other
HVAC pro to come see why the existing heater isn't working properly.

If you've decide that you're abandoning gas reguardless of what
makes economic sense, then the next cheapest option is oil. And it's
going to STAY oil until someone builds a nuclear plant near you. Of
course, oil probably will require a different flue-liner.

If, in spite of that, you still decide to go electric, the existance
of another 240V circut near where the heater is isn't going to help,
the WH is going to want it's own dedicated line.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George

Godzillarama wrote:
[...]

You would have to do your homework to know whether gas is cheaper in
your area.

Tank style electric water heaters have poor recovery capability. So you
would need a huge one to supply four baths.

I would correct the air supply issue and stay with gas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

While your replacing the water heater, be sure to put in an overflow
pan & pipe.
I'm not a big fan of having water in the attic where it won't be
checked on.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gas will be far less expensive to operate, and with better recovery
too.

I suggest replacing the tank there are new style super high efficency
90 plus models available although the cost just over a grand,

pelonis is i believe one model

Posted to alt.home.repair

have you properly insulated the house, insulation pays back forever,
and reuires no maintenance.

this can save you big bucks on your gas bill

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

In article ,
Godzillarama wrote:

Previously posts on this topic are consistent that
gas should be cheaper; but is it still?

Yes.

What would you do?

A month ago, I replaced my 14-year-old GAS water heater with another gas unit.
Even if gas rates do eventually overtake electricity, I want gas for its MUCH
faster recovery rate.

Prior to this home, I used an electric water heater for 13-years. There is NO
comparison in recovery rate. I'll take gas any day.
--

JR

Water Heater Install Question Craig Robison Home Repair 36 January 29th 06 03:51 AM
Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 10:51 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 04:55 PM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM