Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Default Cedar Fading in the sun

I created a playscape for my son a few years ago. I used Cedar because
its supposed to last outside and does not contain some of the chemicals
used in treated lumber. Unfortunately, the structure has turned a
rather unsightly greyish color.

Is there any way to restore the color of this wood or protect it with
something that I can feel comfortable with my son climbing on?

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison

dnoyeB wrote:
I created a playscape for my son a few years ago. I used Cedar because
its supposed to last outside and does not contain some of the chemicals
used in treated lumber. Unfortunately, the structure has turned a
rather unsightly greyish color.

Is there any way to restore the color of this wood or protect it with
something that I can feel comfortable with my son climbing on?

Well, you could pressure wash it. Then it will be back to the
original color, but it will be furry and unsightly.

You could wash it with one of those "cedar restorers", but
then it would be bright orange.

Your best bet is to find a penetrating stain that you can
stain it with. Sherwin williams has a cedartone that does a
good job with old cedar. It won't look exactly like new, but
very close. I don't think there are any problems with it
killing kids, but you will have to look that up yourself.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/pro/sherwin_williams_paint/sherwin_williams_paints/exterior_paint/stains.jsp

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
. ..
I created a playscape for my son a few years ago. I used Cedar because its
supposed to last outside and does not contain some of the chemicals used in
treated lumber. Unfortunately, the structure has turned a rather unsightly
greyish color.

Is there any way to restore the color of this wood or protect it with
something that I can feel comfortable with my son climbing on?

One person's unsightly gray is another's nice soft patina. Too late to
revive it unless you sand off the top coating that has changed color. It
should have been given a UV protective coating when new, like Penofin Oil.

Sand if you want and have the ambition (then coat with Penofin), otherwise,
stain is about the only alternative.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

dnoyeB wrote:
I created a playscape for my son a few years ago. I used Cedar because
its supposed to last outside and does not contain some of the chemicals
used in treated lumber. Unfortunately, the structure has turned a
rather unsightly greyish color.

Is there any way to restore the color of this wood or protect it with
something that I can feel comfortable with my son climbing on?

--
Thank you,

that "unslightly grey" is the natural wethering of exposed wood; esp
redwood & cedar

my suggestion learn to appreciate it...........

the wood is doing it's job; a sound structure w/ no chemicals to harm
your son.

btw my wife buys picture frames made form weathered barn
wood..........go figure

otherwise, mechanically remove the weathered surface & paint Ugh!

if you designed & built this thing correctly (no earth contact & no
mositure traps) it will serve for your son's kids as well

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Try regular bleach , or stronger a deck cleaner