DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   removing corrosion from battery compartment (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/152901-removing-corrosion-battery-compartment.html)

Jack April 11th 06 02:50 AM

removing corrosion from battery compartment

Ideas for getting battery acid/corrosion out of a battery compartment.

I know on a car battery you use baking soda.. but in a case of this I
am afraid the solution would leak into the device.. any ideas...

Shopdog April 11th 06 03:00 AM

removing corrosion from battery compartment

First of all I think we would need to know what we are working with in order
to better help you.

If this is an electronic game or something then you can clean it with a
toothbrush and WD-40. I used WD-40 when my 2 way radio battery leaked, I
just removed anything that had dried or was flaky with a dry toothbrush then
I sprayed a little WD-40 on the brush and got out the rest. If you can find
a bronze brush that would even be better.

Searcher

mm April 11th 06 04:32 AM

On 10 Apr 2006 18:50:19 -0700, "Jack" wrote:

Ideas for getting battery acid/corrosion out of a battery compartment.

I know on a car battery you use baking soda.. but in a case of this I

====
am afraid the solution would leak into the device.. any ideas...

======

What is "this"? What device? All I know is that it is not a car.

z April 11th 06 04:24 PM

Jack wrote:
Ideas for getting battery acid/corrosion out of a battery compartment.

I know on a car battery you use baking soda.. but in a case of this I
am afraid the solution would leak into the device.. any ideas...

Clean out as much as you can with a stiff bristle brush, like an old
toothbrush or something. clean off as much of the metal corrosion with
an ink eraser, like on the end of some pens, or a typewriter eraser
(remember those?).
then spray with electronic contact cleaner, or just use WD40 like the
guy said.
It might or might not be perfect afterwards, though; might become the
kind of item you have to slap once in a while to get it working.

Jim Yanik April 11th 06 05:21 PM

removing corrosion from battery compartment

"Jack" wrote in
ups.com:

device is a toy metal detector, battery compartment is a shallow tray
that holds 6 AA batts, one row.

If the leaky batteries are ALKALINE,then you use VINEGAR,an -acid-,to
neutralize the alkaline leakage.If necessary,use Q-tips soaked in the
vinegar,swab until there's no fizzing and the green stuff is gone.

If the cells are carbon-zinc(acid electrolyte),then use baking soda
solution.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

mm April 12th 06 01:34 AM

On 11 Apr 2006 03:53:10 -0700, "Jack" wrote:

device is a toy metal detector, battery compartment is a shallow tray
that holds 6 AA batts, one row.

That must mean you'll have to take half the case off to get to the end
of the battery row.

If you can't get it to work with the brush and the other stuff people
say, you can replace the sheet metal at one end or the spring at the
other with a new piece of sheet meta and spring. you can take them
from something that is broken, or you can cut the sheetmetal from
anything. I think I once used a vegetable can, although there might
be better stuff. I left it on the porch of an exgirlfriend, who might
not have have even remembered who had it. Since it was 6 months since
I'd seen her, and I didn't want to see her again. But I said I'd fix
it so I did. But I didn't hear back, but it did work when I dropped
it off.