Small hammers?

Old April 8th 06, 05:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small hammers?

Are there (claw) hammers that are specially designed for people with
small hands? I've been using my uncles hammers and they are way too big
for me to work with. I can barely wrap my hands around the grip or even
in the middle of the hammer and they feel like they weigh a ton when
I'm trying to hammer nails. I feel like if I had a smaller hammer that
actually fit my hand and weighed 16 oz (or less) instead of 22 oz then
maybe it would make things easier. But I can't seem to find any small
hammers anywhere. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong stores or something.

Do smaller sized hammers exist? Am I going to have to look somewhere
special for them?

Old April 8th 06, 05:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike S." wrote in message

Do smaller sized hammers exist? Am I going to have to look somewhere
special for them?

Hardware store? Sears? Home Depot? You at least have to look. 16 oz.
is common. Craftsman has a 10 oz. Estwing has a 12 oz.

Old April 8th 06, 05:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Mike S. wrote:
Are there (claw) hammers that are specially designed for people with
small hands? I've been using my uncles hammers and they are way too big
for me to work with. I can barely wrap my hands around the grip or even
in the middle of the hammer and they feel like they weigh a ton when
I'm trying to hammer nails. I feel like if I had a smaller hammer that
actually fit my hand and weighed 16 oz (or less) instead of 22 oz then
maybe it would make things easier. But I can't seem to find any small
hammers anywhere. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong stores or something.

Do smaller sized hammers exist? Am I going to have to look somewhere
special for them?

There are literally hundreds of hammers, scores of manufacturers and
types. If you're hammering nails, that will eliminate a fair number of
them. You could search for tack hammers if you're just tapping in some
small nails to hang pictures and the like, or you could get a lighter
weight hammer with a thinner handle like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Old April 8th 06, 08:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Mike S. wrote:
Are there (claw) hammers that are specially designed for people with
small hands? I've been using my uncles hammers and they are way too big
for me to work with. I can barely wrap my hands around the grip or even
in the middle of the hammer and they feel like they weigh a ton when
I'm trying to hammer nails. I feel like if I had a smaller hammer that
actually fit my hand and weighed 16 oz (or less) instead of 22 oz then
maybe it would make things easier. But I can't seem to find any small
hammers anywhere. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong stores or something.

Do smaller sized hammers exist? Am I going to have to look somewhere
special for them?

Claw hammerheads are made in almost every weight
immagineable, most, are less than 16 ounces and
run all the way down to 2-3 ounces. BTW 22 oz
heads are meant for framing not general carpentry.
More importantly, you can buy all types of
handles, or simply modify the shape and size of an
original handle to fit--carve it, file it, sand
it, grind it.
Old April 8th 06, 11:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair

try a makita cordless drill. drill pilot holes first.
also:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?so...8+oz%2e+hammer

Old April 8th 06, 04:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Mike,

Hobby and craft stores sell really small hammers but they may be too
small for what you want. These hammers are used in building model boats and
rail roads. I don't recall these hammers having a claw though.

Dave M.

Old April 8th 06, 04:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, "Mike S." wrote:
Are there (claw) hammers that are specially designed for people with
small hands? I've been using my uncles hammers and they are way too big
for me to work with. I can barely wrap my hands around the grip or even
in the middle of the hammer and they feel like they weigh a ton when
I'm trying to hammer nails. I feel like if I had a smaller hammer that
actually fit my hand and weighed 16 oz (or less) instead of 22 oz then
maybe it would make things easier. But I can't seem to find any small
hammers anywhere. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong stores or something.

Do smaller sized hammers exist? Am I going to have to look somewhere
special for them?

Have you tried actually, you know, going to a hardware store and looking for
them? I'm guessing not.

--
Regards,

Old April 8th 06, 06:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I inherited one with a smaller head and thinner handle; it has no name
on it, but was sold as a woman's hammer. I guess it would be
politically incorrect to call it that today.

You could look at Amazon.com to see what they have, but there are some
things, like hammers and shoes, that I would want to try on before buying.

Old April 8th 06, 10:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 13:58:07 -0400, "Not@home" wrote:

I inherited one with a smaller head and thinner handle; it has no name
on it, but was sold as a woman's hammer. I guess it would be
politically incorrect to call it that today.

You could look at Amazon.com to see what they have, but there are some

You'll just end up with women big enough to use a big hammer.

Try Hammer.com instead.

things, like hammers and shoes, that I would want to try on before buying.

Ok. Just kidding.