Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Alex

Default Replacing above ground pool liner - not sure what to order

Hi all,

Our above ground pool has been basically linerless for almost a year.
Two winters ago, my first winter in my home, I drained the water from
the pool not knowing it would ruin the liner. Now the liner has dried
and cracked and is basically falling apart... but I'd like to replace
it.

In measuring the pool I found it's 24' round and the walls are 4 foot
tall. The pool slopes down in the middle to about 6 feet though, so is
there a difference between liners that are flat and ones that slope?
Also here's a picture of the liner and the way it's attached to the
pool walls: http://tinyurl.com/je83x . What is this called? I know
there's several different ways of connecting the liner.

I'm going by a local pool place, but I"m thinking I might be able to
get the liner cheaper online. Any pros and cons to either? Also I
already talked to some local guys, and it appears that the average cost
for intsalling the liner is about $350. Is this average?

Thanks for any advice that can be given.

Sam Alex

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Dan Espen

"Alex" writes:

[...]

In my case, ordering online was a LOT cheaper,
and I think the quality was better too.

I ordered mine from poolstore.com.

On the ordering page, they explain the various hanging systems.

They aren't hard to install. Take special care to get the bottom
of the pool smooth and smooth out the liner before you start to fill it.
Any creases will make an automatic pool cleaner not work.

I believe any kind of liner will work with a dug out center but
I have no experience with that.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Rich256

Dan Espen wrote:
"Alex" writes:

[...]

It's been many years since I had a pool like that. One problem I had
was the liner rotting just above the water line. When replacing a liner
I cut a piece, making an apron covering the new liner all around the pool.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
mm

On 5 Apr 2006 09:18:54 -0700, "Alex" wrote:

Our above ground pool has been basically linerless for almost a year.
Two winters ago, my first winter in my home, I drained the water from
the pool not knowing it would ruin the liner.

Is this why one of my neighbors doesn't, iirc, drain his pool in the
winter?

He lives on a corner, but his house faces the side street, so he has a
real back yard, unlike many corner homes. He has an above ground
pool, and an above ground wading pool for toddlers. It's full at
least all summer. No fence. I drive by and never see any kids nearby,
but this seems like a tragedy waiting to happen. You guys know how
tactful I am. Any suggestions on whether and how I should talk to
this guy, whom I don't know at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Keith

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 21:49:01 -0400, mm wrote:

On 5 Apr 2006 09:18:54 -0700, "Alex" wrote:

Our above ground pool has been basically linerless for almost a year.
Two winters ago, my first winter in my home, I drained the water from
the pool not knowing it would ruin the liner.

Is this why one of my neighbors doesn't, iirc, drain his pool in the
winter?

Keeps the frost from heaving the bottom too. One *never* keeps a pool
drained for more than a few hours.

He lives on a corner, but his house faces the side street, so he has a
real back yard, unlike many corner homes. He has an above ground
pool, and an above ground wading pool for toddlers. It's full at
least all summer. No fence. I drive by and never see any kids nearby,
but this seems like a tragedy waiting to happen. You guys know how
tactful I am. Any suggestions on whether and how I should talk to
this guy, whom I don't know at all.

This is to code in most areas (you could check). As long asthe access to
the pool isn't left open. Many above ground pools have a ladder that
lifts up and locks in place. Think of the sides of the pool as the fence.
;-) The wading pool is likely more of a problem.

--
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
mm

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 10:07:01 -0400, Keith wrote:

He lives on a corner, but his house faces the side street, so he has a
real back yard, unlike many corner homes. He has an above ground
pool, and an above ground wading pool for toddlers. It's full at
least all summer. No fence. I drive by and never see any kids nearby,
but this seems like a tragedy waiting to happen. You guys know how
tactful I am. Any suggestions on whether and how I should talk to
this guy, whom I don't know at all.

This is to code in most areas (you could check). As long asthe access to
the pool isn't left open. Many above ground pools have a ladder that
lifts up and locks in place. Think of the sides of the pool as the fence.

The ladder was probably up. I don't stop the car, and I can only see
one side, but I don't remember a ladder. The ladder is probably on
the other side, and up, or in the house. Thanks.

;-) The wading pool is likely more of a problem.

Maybe that was empty. Hard to tell from a moving car, even moving at
25 and only 40 feet from the pool.

I feel better now.
--
Keith