Posted to alt.home.repair
Daniel Cullpeppper

Default I'm puzzled about my leaking roof. It's not leaking like a leak should leak.

Hi. Thanks for looking in.

Almost all leaks I've ever dealt with go Drip, Drip, Drip, forever.

But this one goes Drip, Drip, Drip, Pour, Drip, Drip, Pour, Drip, Drip,
Pour, Drip, Drip, Drip, Drip, PourŠ I hope you can see the pattern
there. The Drips might be 30 seconds apart, and then it Pours for 8 to
12 seconds. Then starts over with the single Drips followed by a Pour.

The question - What causes it to Pour every few minutes? I'm stumped.
If anyone would hazard a guess, or better yet, know why it does that,
I'd surely appreciate. Thank You,

Daniel Cullpeppper
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

A description of the roof construction and the location of the leak
would go a long way toward giving us something to work with.

It seems clear that the water is being held by something until it
reaches a tipping point, then the something empties and returns to a
position that collects water.
That might be a bit of membrane that sags enough to collect water.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nick Hull

In article ,
Daniel Cullpeppper wrote:

Hi. Thanks for looking in.

Almost all leaks I've ever dealt with go Drip, Drip, Drip, forever.

But this one goes Drip, Drip, Drip, Pour, Drip, Drip, Pour, Drip, Drip,
Pour, Drip, Drip, Drip, Drip, PourŠ I hope you can see the pattern
there. The Drips might be 30 seconds apart, and then it Pours for 8 to
12 seconds. Then starts over with the single Drips followed by a Pour.

The question - What causes it to Pour every few minutes? I'm stumped.
If anyone would hazard a guess, or better yet, know why it does that,
I'd surely appreciate. Thank You,

Daniel Cullpeppper
.

Probably some teeter-totter mechanism that fills and dumps. This occurs
naturally in some rare springs, where the spring will trickle for hours
then suddenly flood and go back to trickle.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF

"Daniel Cullpeppper" wrote in message
Hi. Thanks for looking in.

Almost all leaks I've ever dealt with go Drip, Drip, Drip, forever.

But this one goes Drip, Drip, Drip, Pour, Drip, Drip, Pour, Drip, Drip,
Pour, Drip, Drip, Drip, Drip, PourS I hope you can see the pattern
there. The Drips might be 30 seconds apart, and then it Pours for 8 to
12 seconds. Then starts over with the single Drips followed by a Pour.

The question - What causes it to Pour every few minutes? I'm stumped.
If anyone would hazard a guess, or better yet, know why it does that,
I'd surely appreciate. Thank You,

Daniel Cullpeppper

Possibly a depression between two layers of plastic sheeting. When the
depression fills, it "siphons" out over the lower edge until it empties the
depression. Then the cycle restarts.

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Warner

wrote:

Hi. Thanks for looking in.

Almost all leaks I've ever dealt with go Drip, Drip, Drip, forever.

But this one goes Drip, Drip, Drip, Pour, Drip, Drip, Pour, Drip, Drip,
Pour, Drip, Drip, Drip, Drip, PourŠ I hope you can see the pattern
there. The Drips might be 30 seconds apart, and then it Pours for 8 to
12 seconds. Then starts over with the single Drips followed by a Pour.

The question - What causes it to Pour every few minutes? I'm stumped.
If anyone would hazard a guess, or better yet, know why it does that,
I'd surely appreciate. Thank You,

Daniel Cullpeppper
.

Fiberglass insulation in the ceiling? Water pooling in a depression on
the upper moisture barrier? Gets full, dumps a load?

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Daniel Cullpepper

wrote:

Hi. Thanks for looking in.

Almost all leaks I've ever dealt with go Drip, Drip, Drip, forever.

But this one goes Drip, Drip, Drip, Pour, Drip, Drip, Pour, Drip, Drip,
Pour, Drip, Drip, Drip, Drip, PourŠ I hope you can see the pattern
there. The Drips might be 30 seconds apart, and then it Pours for 8 to
12 seconds. Then starts over with the single Drips followed by a Pour.

The question - What causes it to Pour every few minutes? I'm stumped.
If anyone would hazard a guess, or better yet, know why it does that,
I'd surely appreciate. Thank You,

Daniel Cullpeppper
.

Fiberglass insulation in the ceiling? Water pooling in a depression on
the upper moisture barrier? Gets full, dumps a load?

-Frank

+-+

Hi Guys,

I hope I'm not too late in acknowledging your help. I wasn't expecting
response in the form of a ł Š

The house is 1940-ish and Art Deco in appearance. The roof is in
character with a 20 to 25 degree slant. In any vertical rain or cloud
burst there's no leak at all. It's only in a driving rainstorm from the
southeast does the strange leaking occurs.

Thank you all for you're thinking and possible causes. Now all I have
to do is to wait for some serious storming, wiggle through a tiny hatch
into the attic, and start looking for a teeter-totter that collects
that rain and take it from there.

So thank you again for giving me a starting point.
Daniel C.

BTW: This group really is helpful, warm, caring, and knowledgeable. If
only all were so civilized.

Dan C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Hogwild

Default I'm puzzled about my leaking roof. It's not leaking like

Look for a membrane that stretches under the weight of the water.

When it begins to pour, the membrane elasticity keeps pushing the
water out until nearly empty.

The drip would be the membrane filling up.

I've gotten used to this sound after years of camping with tarps
during the rain.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"Daniel Cullpepper" wrote in message ...

wrote:

[...]

response in the form of a ł S

The house is 1940-ish and Art Deco in appearance. The roof is in
character with a 20 to 25 degree slant. In any vertical rain or cloud
burst there's no leak at all. It's only in a driving rainstorm from the
southeast does the strange leaking occurs.

Thank you all for you're thinking and possible causes. Now all I have
to do is to wait for some serious storming, wiggle through a tiny hatch
into the attic, and start looking for a teeter-totter that collects
that rain and take it from there.

Why wait. There will be staining or deposits where the water pools.If the pooling
is visable, you should be able to see it dry.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Daniel Cullpeppper wrote:
Hi. Thanks for looking in.

Almost all leaks I've ever dealt with go Drip, Drip, Drip, forever.

But this one goes Drip, Drip, Drip, Pour, Drip, Drip, Pour, Drip, Drip,
Pour, Drip, Drip, Drip, Drip, PourŠ I hope you can see the pattern
there. The Drips might be 30 seconds apart, and then it Pours for 8 to
12 seconds. Then starts over with the single Drips followed by a Pour.

The question - What causes it to Pour every few minutes? I'm stumped.
If anyone would hazard a guess, or better yet, know why it does that,
I'd surely appreciate. Thank You,

Daniel Cullpeppper
.

Quite a mystery! With the rhythm you describe, it makes me think of a
couple of scenarios ... water collecting on top of roof in a small
depression (bent shingles or warped spot on deck) and the water fills up
the depression and wind blows it into some opening, like a vent or a
hole. The other would be a leak over one spot, with water dripping onto
a rafter or ceiling, traversing to where it comes through the ceiling.

A small gap in fascia, or wind strong enough to blow rain into roof or
soffit vents would be places to examine carefully. Get out the caulk
gun and look for every possible opening. As others suggest, look for
stains inside. We helped a friend locate a leak on his roof, far away
from where a substantial amount of water was draining out of a ceiling
light fixture - the leak was a missing shingle and warped deck right
above a rafter - water ran down the rafter onto the ceiling plaster
board and across/down to the light fixture.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff

Daniel Cullpepper wrote:

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for you're thinking and possible causes. Now all I have
to do is to wait for some serious storming, wiggle through a tiny hatch
into the attic, and start looking for a teeter-totter that collects
that rain and take it from there.

Another option, if you don't want to wait for a storm, is to crawl up
there and have a helper spray the suspect area with a hose. (For those
"I want my roof to leak right now" moments.) -- H

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Daniel Cullpeppper" wrote in message

The question - What causes it to Pour every few minutes? I'm stumped.
If anyone would hazard a guess, or better yet, know why it does that,
I'd surely appreciate. Thank You,

Daniel Cullpeppper

I honestly don't know, but it is an important question. Don't fix the roof
until you are sure we have the right answer.