Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does portland cement get "stale"?

Does bagged ordinary portland cement get stale after a while? --in
other words does it lose it's ability to perform up to it's
specification? If so, how can I tell if its not worth using?

I have about 5 sacks that have sat in my garage for several years.
While the powder hasn't
hardened its somewhat cakey or crusty.

--Zeb

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was in the same boat as you last fall, with a couple of old bags in
the garage, probably about four-five years old. Wanted to use them to
set a fence post.

Did some googling and while I don't remember the exact reasons, etc.
Basically it won't work. So, I spent $13 on a bag of rapid set, which
nearly set too quick (15 minutes and that stuff was HARD).

Posted to alt.home.repair

If it's been in there for years then forget about using it.