Posted to alt.home.repair
nsf

Default How can I apply silicone caulking

Okay, this sounds silly but I can never get the silicone to look as perfect
as I see it when contractors have done it. How do you get this stuff to
look like a perfect smooth application?

Posted to alt.home.repair
barbarow

Use masking tape to define the edges of the bead of caulk.

Use a wet finger to smooth out the bead.

Let it dry overnight.

Cut along the edges of the tape with a razor blade so that when you pull the
tape off it will not pull out the caulk.

"nsf" wrote in message
Okay, this sounds silly but I can never get the silicone to look as
perfect as I see it when contractors have done it. How do you get this
stuff to look like a perfect smooth application?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Murray Peterson

"nsf" wrote in :

Okay, this sounds silly but I can never get the silicone to look as
perfect as I see it when contractors have done it. How do you get
this stuff to look like a perfect smooth application?

This sounds facetious, but practivce and more practice.
The wet finger + masking tape helps. Mostly, put on a far smaller bead
than you originally think you should. The primary cause of mess is putting
on too much.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

louie wrote:
Put a bead in with the caulk gun/tube then wet your finger and smooth
it with your index finger. Stop often and wipe off the excess and
rewet your finger. As long as the finger is wet, it won't stick and be
messy.

That is said often here, but it isn't true for me.
I don't have a clue how to get it smooth, but
my finger, wet or dry, stick immediately to
silicone and pulls it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

nsf wrote:
Okay, this sounds silly but I can never get the silicone to look as
perfect as I see it when contractors have done it. How do you get
this stuff to look like a perfect smooth application?

Put masking tape close to both sides of the seam, use your finger to
form/smooth as louie explained, then immediately remove the tape. The
goal is to place the tape and smooth the caulk so that the cove formed
by the caulk feathers out to nil at the tape edge.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

barbarow wrote:

Use masking tape to define the edges of the bead of caulk.

Use a wet finger to smooth out the bead.

Let it dry overnight.

Cut along the edges of the tape with a razor blade so that when you pull the
tape off it will not pull out the caulk.

I take off the tape right away, so there isn't a raised edge on the
caulk. Cut the tip to the size defined by the tape, then smoosh it with
finger to fit the taped line. Pull off the tape, let dry. Don't forget
to make sure the surface is absolutely clean and free of dust and soap
scum. On tub/tile, wipe with straight bleach and let dry prior to caulking.

"nsf" wrote in message

Okay, this sounds silly but I can never get the silicone to look as
perfect as I see it when contractors have done it. How do you get this
stuff to look like a perfect smooth application?

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom&kel

i've always used my finger. i saw this on late night tv,and decide to get
one soon. anyone try it yet?

http://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/proseal/?cid=136471

"dadiOH" wrote in message

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

"nsf" wrote in message
Okay, this sounds silly but I can never get the silicone to look as
perfect as I see it when contractors have done it. How do you get this
stuff to look like a perfect smooth application?

First do not use silicone! Its the toughest to work with and to clean up.
Use a good latex caulk. "Alex" is one IIRC. Also 35 year warranty IIRC.

All the tips about using a finger are perfect for latex caulk. You make a
bigger mess with pure silicone unless your finger is really wet. No, you
still make a big mess. Use latex and you will be fine.

Most applications do not need silicone anyway. Where are you caulking?
Kitchens, baths, windows, doors, etc. are all good candidates for a good
latex caulk.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

No wrote:
"nsf" wrote in message

Okay, this sounds silly but I can never get the silicone to look as
perfect as I see it when contractors have done it. How do you get this
stuff to look like a perfect smooth application?

First do not use silicone! Its the toughest to work with and to clean up.
Use a good latex caulk. "Alex" is one IIRC. Also 35 year warranty IIRC.

All the tips about using a finger are perfect for latex caulk. You make a
bigger mess with pure silicone unless your finger is really wet. No, you
still make a big mess. Use latex and you will be fine.

Most applications do not need silicone anyway. Where are you caulking?
Kitchens, baths, windows, doors, etc. are all good candidates for a good
latex caulk.

Latex is crap around a bathtub. dadiOH's tip is spot on - don't need
the wet finger, just to form the caulk to level with the tape, and take
the tape off right away.
Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Norminn" wrote in message
ink.net...
No wrote:
"nsf" wrote in message

[...]

Siliconized Acrylic Caulk would be the better happy medium. Latex wouldn't
last in a bathroom.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

RicodJour wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:

louie wrote:

Put a bead in with the caulk gun/tube then wet your finger and smooth
it with your index finger. Stop often and wipe off the excess and
rewet your finger. As long as the finger is wet, it won't stick and be
messy.

That is said often here, but it isn't true for me.
I don't have a clue how to get it smooth, but
my finger, wet or dry, stick immediately to
silicone and pulls it.

A couple of drops of liquid soap in the water helps tremendously.
Another trick is to lay down the bead as neatly as possible, then
spritz the bead and immediately adjoining surfaces with a spray bottle
(same soap in water solution), then wipe down the bead with a wet
finger. The spritz will keep the silicone from sticking to the wet
surfaces.

Thanks, I've seen a similar suggestion, but I
haven't tried it. Pure water doesn't seem to work
for me. Since I have a shower enclosure to redo,
I guess I will have to make a corner out of
something and try different techniques, especially
the one you suggested.

Shower stall caulking - HOWTO [email protected] Home Repair 3 February 9th 06 09:19 PM
Shower stall caulking [email protected] Home Repair 11 December 23rd 05 03:51 AM
Shower stall caulking [email protected] Home Ownership 9 December 23rd 05 03:51 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 06:52 AM
stuck windows - looking for non-smelly silicone lube Veggie Home Repair 11 September 1st 04 12:09 AM