Posted to alt.home.repair
Zaphod

Default Running Electric, Phone and Television lines

I am putting the new electric, phone lines and television cable into a
new addition. I was wondering if the phone line or TV cable touches the
electric wires when they criss cross each other will the electric wire
cause any interferance in either the phone line or TV?

If this can cause interferance, what would be the minimum distance
between those lines to be sure one does not cause a problem with the
other.

Thanks, David

Posted to alt.home.repair

there are code rules about running low voltage lines along 120 power
lines.to prevent cross connection and shock hazard

interference shouldnt be a issue.

you know things change frequently, like for phone catergory 5e might be
a better choice, and use RG6 low loss for cable and dont bury anything
like boxes or splitters in a cieling you cant reach

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gee I THOUGHT I read somehere that low voltage cable like doorbell wire
wasnt allowed to be ran alongside power lines.

learn something new every day

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jgolan

Here is a reference from the TIE/EIA-570-A Residential Telecommunication
Cabling Standard:

"8.1 3.1 Separation distance from electrical power
Separation of telecommunications cable with respect to electrical power
conductors shall meet applicable electrical codes. Additionally, when
telecommunications cable containing metallic elements (e.g., UTP, coaxial
cable) is placed alongside unshielded electrical power conductors inside
wall space or ceiling space, it shall have a minimum separation of 50.4 mm
Q in) from power wire."

Also your local codes (possibly NEC) may have other requirements. You can
check with your building/electrical inspector or the AHJ (Authority Having
Jurisdiction).

Joe Golan, RCDD
-------------------------------------

Zaphod wrote:

I am putting the new electric, phone lines and television cable into a
new addition. I was wondering if the phone line or TV cable touches the
electric wires when they criss cross each other will the electric wire
cause any interferance in either the phone line or TV?

If this can cause interferance, what would be the minimum distance
between those lines to be sure one does not cause a problem with the
other.

Thanks, David

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
no-spam Web and RSS interface to your favorite newsgroup -
Posted to alt.home.repair
kevin

shall have a minimum separation of 50.4 mm

Cripes. Did they really say "50.4". Point 4? millimeters? That's as bad
as a cookbook I have that called for 453.6 kg of chicken.

-Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

whats that in inches?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams

In article . com,
says...
whats that in inches?

1.9843 ;-)

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

Kevin, did you say Kg? That's a lot of chicken! Must be a Saudi
recipe, where I read once they cook for hundreds over gas flares.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Zaphod

Thanks everybody.

There is only a few places where the lines cross close enough that I
can't keep them at least a couple of inches apart so I ran one of the
wires through a short section of PVC pipe in those intersections.

We get a lot of statric in our phone lines. I always thought it was the
crappy service lines run to the house but now I am wondering if part of
the problem is where the phone line runs into the house within a few
feet of our electric breaker box.

Thanks again!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay

"kevin" wrote in message
oups.com...
shall have a minimum separation of 50.4 mm

Cripes. Did they really say "50.4". Point 4? millimeters? That's as bad
as a cookbook I have that called for 453.6 kg of chicken.

-Kevin

Let's see, 1 kilo gram = 2.2 pounds, so that's 453.6 x 2.2 = 997.92 pounds
of chicken! When did you get this cook book from, the Mess Hall of the
101st Airborne Division, or Colonel Sanders?!

Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

In article .com,
"Zaphod" wrote:

There is only a few places where the lines cross close enough that I
can't keep them at least a couple of inches apart so I ran one of the
wires through a short section of PVC pipe in those intersections.

That's a nice touch. However, doing so probably provides mechanical
protection more than anything else. POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) lines
are regularly run within CLOSE proximity to power lines with NO ill effect.

We get a lot of statric in our phone lines. I always thought it was the
crappy service lines run to the house but now I am wondering if part of
the problem is where the phone line runs into the house within a few
feet of our electric breaker box.

Static, if it is on ALL your telephones, is probably caused by a fault in your
telco's facilities, possibly MILES away from your home. You should report the
trouble to your provider so they can fix it. You're paying TOO much for your
service to put up with it.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry

wrote in message
oups.com...
Gee I THOUGHT I read somehere that low voltage cable like doorbell wire
wasnt allowed to be ran alongside power lines.

learn something new every day

I think you are referring to situations where people run the low voltage
cables (telephone, computer, door bell, intercom, alarm systems etc.)
through, say, the same holes in joists as the electrical wiring etc,.
So in that case they are alongside, in parallel and in contact with the
insulated electric wires.
Usually doesn't cause a problem but it's not good practice? Separate holes
and separation of at least a few inches is wiser.

Posted to alt.home.repair
unknown

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:21:49 -0800, "Jay"
wrote:

"kevin" wrote in message
roups.com...
shall have a minimum separation of 50.4 mm

Cripes. Did they really say "50.4". Point 4? millimeters? That's as bad
as a cookbook I have that called for 453.6 kg of chicken.

-Kevin

Let's see, 1 kilo gram = 2.2 pounds, so that's 453.6 x 2.2 = 997.92 pounds
of chicken! When did you get this cook book from, the Mess Hall of the
101st Airborne Division, or Colonel Sanders?!

Jay

..48896 tons of chicken.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

In article .com,
"Zaphod" wrote:

Old lines is probably the problem.

Age itself has nothing to do with it. There is still plenty of paper
insulated, lead-sheathed cable from the 1920s & 1930s providing good service.

Deteriorated insulation SOMEWHERE is the cause of the noise on your line.

I did complain a few years ago and
they fixed it but it was back in couple of weeks.

You should have promptly reported the trouble again. ...and again, if
necessary. Then there's your state's Public Service Commission that will take
your complaint if your carrier won't fix the trouble.

You're paying for good service. It's too bad that things have changed to the
point where you MUST be your own advocate ("squeaky wheel") but it's a fact.
Submit reports until the trouble is fixed.

I am lucky if I can sign on the internet at 2600 BPS.

That's pathetic.

They ran new lines in my Brother-In-Law's neighborhood about 5 miles
from me and he can sometimes get over 40000 BPS.

New lines have nothing to do with it. CLEAN lines do. They replaced the old
cable because the cost to maintain the old cable finally exceeded the cost of
replacement. The old cable must have been beyond TERRIBLE for that to happen.

SBC has no plans to upgrade around here
so we can get high speed internet.

Lemme guess: You live in the country. I'll bet your "local" CATV provider is
no where NEAR your home and may never be.

SBC certainly has plans to *EVENTUALLY* offer high-speed internet service in
your area. They are simply deploying first closer to the Central Office (or
remote terminal) than further away.

There is a smaller, unincorporated community in the area I service. They
would LOVE to get DSL. We'll get there eventually. Understandably, it isn't
SOON ENOUGH for them.

Even at the furthest distance from the C.0., you should get dial-up
connections in the 26k range on a good pair. Give 'em hell, Harry.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

phone lines can induct noise from ac power running along with it.
depends on how far they travel together. the best idea is when they
are running together like in an attic- always try to cross power
perpendicular and not run along with it.