Running Electric, Phone and Television lines

Old March 24th 06, 12:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Running Electric, Phone and Television lines

I am putting the new electric, phone lines and television cable into a
new addition. I was wondering if the phone line or TV cable touches the
electric wires when they criss cross each other will the electric wire
cause any interferance in either the phone line or TV?

If this can cause interferance, what would be the minimum distance
between those lines to be sure one does not cause a problem with the
other.

Thanks, David

Old March 24th 06, 04:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair

there are code rules about running low voltage lines along 120 power
lines.to prevent cross connection and shock hazard

interference shouldnt be a issue.

you know things change frequently, like for phone catergory 5e might be
a better choice, and use RG6 low loss for cable and dont bury anything
like boxes or splitters in a cieling you cant reach

Old March 24th 06, 11:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Gee I THOUGHT I read somehere that low voltage cable like doorbell wire
wasnt allowed to be ran alongside power lines.

learn something new every day

Old March 24th 06, 12:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Here is a reference from the TIE/EIA-570-A Residential Telecommunication
Cabling Standard:

"8.1 3.1 Separation distance from electrical power
Separation of telecommunications cable with respect to electrical power
conductors shall meet applicable electrical codes. Additionally, when
telecommunications cable containing metallic elements (e.g., UTP, coaxial
cable) is placed alongside unshielded electrical power conductors inside
wall space or ceiling space, it shall have a minimum separation of 50.4 mm
Q in) from power wire."

Also your local codes (possibly NEC) may have other requirements. You can
check with your building/electrical inspector or the AHJ (Authority Having
Jurisdiction).

Joe Golan, RCDD
-------------------------------------

Zaphod wrote:

I am putting the new electric, phone lines and television cable into a
new addition. I was wondering if the phone line or TV cable touches the
electric wires when they criss cross each other will the electric wire
cause any interferance in either the phone line or TV?

If this can cause interferance, what would be the minimum distance
between those lines to be sure one does not cause a problem with the
other.

Thanks, David

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
no-spam Web and RSS interface to your favorite newsgroup -
Old March 24th 06, 03:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

shall have a minimum separation of 50.4 mm

Cripes. Did they really say "50.4". Point 4? millimeters? That's as bad
as a cookbook I have that called for 453.6 kg of chicken.

-Kevin

Old March 24th 06, 03:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
says...
whats that in inches?

1.9843 ;-)

--
Keith
Old March 24th 06, 03:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Kevin, did you say Kg? That's a lot of chicken! Must be a Saudi
recipe, where I read once they cook for hundreds over gas flares.