Posted to alt.home.repair

Default garbage disposal plumbing problem

I ran into a problem when I was trying to install a garbage disposal
(there wasn't one before). Waste pipe entering the wall is a little
(about 1/4") higher than the disposer discharge (centerline to
centerline). If I install it like this, there is going to be standing
water in the disposer. Is this a big problem?

This is a small unit (1/2 HP). I looked at other vendors, and it seems
like distance from bottom of sink to centerline of discharge outlet is
pretty much the same for all of them (6"). (Surprisingly they have so
much in common - including the pictures in their manuals - I suspect
there are only a couple of manufacturers out there).

I can't replace the sink or move the pipe entering the wall. Any
suggestions? Are there any brands out there that are shorter or have
different designs?

Thanks a lot,
Matt