Posted to alt.home.repair
PeterM

Default Can someone recommend a electric lawn mower

Since I feel like I can trust all of you here, because I got so much help
from you before, I feel good asking you this question again. We are seniors
and can't really pull the cord on our lawn mower anymore. We are being told
that Honda is the mower to get. Do they have electric mowers as well? Should
we get an electric one with the cord that you have to pull behind you, or
one with a battery. We don't have that much to cut, front and side of the
house, and a little next to the pool area. We live in California.Any advise
is appreciated......... Opa Peter

Posted to alt.home.repair
PeterM

Thanks Chris......the one we have is a push mower, I don't think we need a
self-propelled mower, just the starting is getting too cumbersome.....Peter

wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:19:19 -0800, "PeterM"
wrote:

Since I feel like I can trust all of you here, because I got so much help
from you before, I feel good asking you this question again. We are
seniors
and can't really pull the cord on our lawn mower anymore. We are being
told
that Honda is the mower to get. Do they have electric mowers as well?
Should
we get an electric one with the cord that you have to pull behind you, or
one with a battery. We don't have that much to cut, front and side of the
house, and a little next to the pool area. We live in California.Any
advise
is appreciated......... Opa Peter

Is your yard small enough for a push mower? I love mine.

You can't let the grass grow too high though, so in my area I have to
mow every six or seven days, especially if it rains a lot during the
week.

Posted to alt.home.repair

a battery start will do OR a all battery or robo mower, that will take
care of cutting automatically

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lena

I got a battery powered 19" Black & Decker mower. It is heavy due to
the batteries, but if there are no hills or steps to worry about, no
problem. It only has the capacity to cut about 3000 square feet before
running out of pep. (Maybe I'm due for a new set of rechargeables).
Expensive when new (abt $400), but I got mine at a B&D 'Outlet" for
half that, supposedly reconditioned, but it was like new. Had it for
three seasons and happy with it. But due to the amount of plastic on
it, I don't think it will outlast my Toro corded electric that I used
for 25 years.

Lena

Posted to alt.home.repair

Black and Decker CMM1000 19" Cordless Mulching/Rear Bag Lawn Mower. You
don't need to use the rear bag. About $430 at Home Depot, WalMart, etc.
Been using it for three years for about 45 minutes of mowing once or
twice a week during "the season."

Only complaint is that with tall, thick grass or wet grass it can bog
down and stall. OF course, even a gas mower can do that. But this one
is more prone to do it. Other than that, a breeze. My kids mostly
operate it. It is a bit heavy, but who has to lift it much?

If you want truly automatic:
++++++++++
Auto Mower
The Husqvarna Auto Mower is a battery-powered mower that works
independently. Mowing in a random pattern for consistent coverage, your
lawn is always freshly manicured. The Auto Mower takes itself to the
charging station and then returns to the lawn automatically, fully
charged. The mower's working area is defined by a boundary loop along
the edges of the lawn. The mowing action is continuous and the cuttings
are redistributed to the ground as fertilizer.
++++++++++
Husqvarna is a longtime leader in chainsaws. About 10 years ago they
introduced these auto mowers, they've been through a few generations of
them and I think they have them down pretty well now. Even have a solar
charged model.

You can see their website at: http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/

Just go to the lawn and garden section and then to the "auto mowers"

Here's an old reprint from Dec. 2000 issues of popular mechanics:

http://www.friendlyrobotics.com/abou...lawnmower.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
digitalmaster

"PeterM" wrote in message
Since I feel like I can trust all of you here, because I got so much help
from you before, I feel good asking you this question again. We are
seniors and can't really pull the cord on our lawn mower anymore. We are
being told that Honda is the mower to get. Do they have electric mowers as
well? Should we get an electric one with the cord that you have to pull
behind you, or one with a battery. We don't have that much to cut, front
and side of the house, and a little next to the pool area. We live in
California.Any advise is appreciated......... Opa Peter

honda is a fine machine...i would suggest getting a honda with electric
start and it should last for 20 years if taken care of.Or a solar powered
robot mower you never have to woryy about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:50:26 -0800, "PeterM"
wrote:

Thanks Chris......the one we have is a push mower, I don't think we need a
self-propelled mower, just the starting is getting too cumbersome.....Peter

I meant the kind that isn't electric or gas. Maybe it's called a reel
mower. No starter, and no 100 ft of cord to play around with.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"PeterM" wrote in message
Since I feel like I can trust all of you here, because I got so much help
from you before, I feel good asking you this question again. We are
seniors and can't really pull the cord on our lawn mower anymore. We are
being told that Honda is the mower to get. Do they have electric mowers as
well? Should we get an electric one with the cord that you have to pull
behind you, or one with a battery. We don't have that much to cut, front
and side of the house, and a little next to the pool area. We live in
California.Any advise is appreciated......... Opa Peter

Battery powered will be heavier, cost more and require replacement batteries
every so many years but you'll have no cord.

If you have a place to plug in and you can keep track of the cord, the AC
powered one is a better value IMO.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A reel mower is gonna be harder on older folks than pulling a cord......

Posted to alt.home.repair
ronm

I have the B&D corded electric. I have had no problems with it in 5 years. I
also dontt have too much to cut. Next time I may go for the battery . One
thing to consider with a corded mower. Depends on where your exterior
outlets are and how many obstacles you have to go around, i.e trees, shrubs,
pool etc. Its ok if you don't have to backtrack, but if you do you'll end up
cutting the cord a few times if youre a slow learner like me,

"Lena" wrote in message
oups.com...
I got a battery powered 19" Black & Decker mower. It is heavy due to
the batteries, but if there are no hills or steps to worry about, no
problem. It only has the capacity to cut about 3000 square feet before
running out of pep. (Maybe I'm due for a new set of rechargeables).
Expensive when new (abt $400), but I got mine at a B&D 'Outlet" for
half that, supposedly reconditioned, but it was like new. Had it for
three seasons and happy with it. But due to the amount of plastic on
it, I don't think it will outlast my Toro corded electric that I used
for 25 years.

Lena

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

"PeterM" wrote in message
Since I feel like I can trust all of you here, because I got so much help
from you before, I feel good asking you this question again. We are
seniors and can't really pull the cord on our lawn mower anymore. We are
being told that Honda is the mower to get. Do they have electric mowers as
well? Should we get an electric one with the cord that you have to pull
behind you, or one with a battery. We don't have that much to cut, front
and side of the house, and a little next to the pool area. We live in
California.Any advise is appreciated......... Opa Peter

Peter - The corded variety are all pretty similar and very reliable. Just go
to a dealer you like and push a few around and see what feels right. You
will want some hearing protection, when I used them as a kid they were very
loud compared to the gas, that may have changed. Ask your dealer if one is
louder than another.

battery powered - These are relatively new to the market, have heavy
batteries and limited cutting time. I would avoid this type of electric if I
were you.

reel mowers - I cant believe someone suggested this for a senior. When I was
a kid that's all my grandfather owned. Needless to say I mowed a lot of his
grass with one of those. Its tough work.

Electric start gas - This may be OK if you get one that is also self
propelled but then you need to guy the gas and deal with maintenance. The
electric is zero maintenance beyond keeping the blade(s) sharp.

Electric - just do not run over the cord

Posted to alt.home.repair
Hogwild

Generally the more amps the better, that will give it some thick grass
cutting power.

I like the handles that flip over so you don't have to turn the mower
around. I can keep the cord on the "cut side" this way.

I also like the grass exhaust on one side only. If the grass isn't too
tall, this can minimize raking by exhausting to the uncut side.

Some have a "deadmans switch" (you're not dead yet - LOL) to
stop the blade immediately when the power handle is released. These
can be a pain but add some safety.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Not@home

A good reel mower is about as hard to push as a grocery cart, and a lot
easier to store than any powered mower.

A reel mower is gonna be harder on older folks than pulling a cord......

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Not@home" wrote:

A good reel mower is about as hard to push as a grocery cart, and a lot
easier to store than any powered mower.

I'm gonna buy a reel mower myself

But what brand/model is a good one and EASY to push?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Not@home

wrote:
"Not@home" wrote:

A good reel mower is about as hard to push as a grocery cart, and a lot
easier to store than any powered mower.

I'm gonna buy a reel mower myself

But what brand/model is a good one and EASY to push?

I got mine here

http://www.leevalley.com

Look in the gardening section. I got the 18 inch, but I see they now
have a 20 inch model. Mine is quite easy to push, but the grass catcher
is useless, so I just let the clippings recycle in place. My only
complaint is the handle feels flimsy, but I haven't broken it. When I
had one arm in a cast, I was easily able to mow with only one arm.
Posted to alt.home.repair

PeterM wrote:
. We don't have that much to cut, front and side of the
house, and a little next to the pool area. We live in California.Any advise
is appreciated......... Opa Peter

No advice about brands, but ...

Here in AZ the local electric utility (SRP) has a "Mowing Down
Pollution" event every spring. You bring in your old gas mower, and
they give you a certificate for $100 off an electric mower from
Home Depot. Home Depot has a presence at the event, and will
sell you a new mower on the spot. Last year I got tired of the
annual fight with the old mower, went to the tradein event, and
drove off with a 20" B&D with grass bag and a 100' extension
cord for something like $160.

Been real happy with it, only maintenance is keeping the deck
clean and the blade sharp.

You might want to check and see if your local utility company
has a similar promotion.

Jerry

Lawn Mower and thick smoke [email protected] Home Repair 4 September 13th 05 05:34 PM
Lawn mower with bad rubber bulb meirman Home Repair 5 August 16th 05 05:26 PM
lawn mower stalls unless I tip it! meirman Home Repair 4 November 15th 04 09:13 PM
Lawn Mower harry manka Home Repair 9 September 29th 04 03:30 PM
GE HTS22GBMARWW Digital Controls refrig 22 cu ft.....main bord failure number #3! henrib7 Home Repair 7 June 13th 04 09:30 AM