Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy

Default Electrical question -- SJ cord

Andy asks:

One of the local electrical codes where I live is that all outdoor
extension cords have to be type SJ.

I have noticed that there are several types of cords that start
with SJ , such as SJTW, SJOO , etc.

My question is, " As long as the cord type has "SJ" in the
designation, do they ALL satisfy the code requirement for SJ cord ?? "

Thanks for your advice...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams

In article .com,
says...
Andy asks:

One of the local electrical codes where I live is that all outdoor
extension cords have to be type SJ.

I have noticed that there are several types of cords that start
with SJ , such as SJTW, SJOO , etc.

Yes; 'S' = "Stranded wire" with rubber insulation, 'J' is for
"Junior" (300 vs. 600V), 'O' for "oil resistance", etc.

http://www.systemconnection.com/down..._cord_glossary.
pdf

My question is, " As long as the cord type has "SJ" in the
designation, do they ALL satisfy the code requirement for SJ cord ?? "

It seems silly to specify 'SJ', rather than some sort of weather
rating (SW, perhaps and 'S' is superior to 'SJ'). Rubber isn't the
only material that makes decent exterior cable either. Maybe
someone writing the local codes doesn't know what they're
specifying?

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud--

Keith Williams wrote:

[...]

S is "service" - virtually all cords are stranded.

Many of the Sxx cords have a heavier jacket (as you said) than SJxx and
should be acceptable in any reasonable code. (Some do not - SPx, SVx and
others)
STxx and SJTxx are thermoplastic.

Any SJxx should be acceptable - including SJTxx [as should heavy jacket Sxx]

I presume the code wants a level of ruggedness for exterior extension
cords - excluding the typical interior SPx "zip" cords. It also excludes
heavy duty flat cords, often yellow, which are common and IMHO heavier
duty than SJ.

bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy

Andy replies:

Thanks to all who answered. It is as I hoped, that is, that any
SJxx would satisfy the code.

By way of explanation to those who wonder why I asked :

This is a local code required by the Tarrant County Water
District, which governs all construction on the local area lakes.
The code is very restrictive, and often very arbitrary on some of
the regulations. The inspectors are not PEs, and just go by
the letter of the code...As far as the electrical, the local guy
has no idea of what SJ means, but will enforce it exactly without
accepting any " but this other cord is much better" explanations.

He is a nice enough guy, but very by-the-book, especially on those
subjects he is not well versed in...... but that's OK....

So, in order to remain friendly with him/them (very important
around
here in small town Texas ), I don't try to deviate but rather
follow the code to the letter, as they do in their interpretation.

The county allows me to do all wiring myself (as owner) down to
the
320 ASL (above sea level) markers, but below 320 it must be done by
a licensed master electrician --- (very expensive for 50 feet of buried
ROMEX
and sub panel --- about $1000 ). The lake is at 315 ASL.
So, I did the job myself to the 320, and will just run an extension
cord
the rest of the way to the dock ---- not a big problem at all.....I
only want
a light and a radio...... I am allowed to do it if the cord is
"SJ"....

Thanks again guys for the input.

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to Bud-- :

Any SJxx should be acceptable - including SJTxx [as should heavy jacket Sxx]

I presume the code wants a level of ruggedness for exterior extension
cords - excluding the typical interior SPx "zip" cords. It also excludes
heavy duty flat cords, often yellow, which are common and IMHO heavier
duty than SJ.

Here the "SJ" is considered "medium duty", and Sxx is "heavy duty".
The orange ribbed stuff (I forget the rating) is classified as "light".

Agreed, something calling for SJxx should accept Sxx too.

I don't use anything less than SJ for any sort of outdoor semi-permanent
use or power tools (eg: electric chain saws).
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

One of the local electrical codes where I live is that all outdoor
extension cords have to be type SJ.

Your building code regulates extension cords?

These things wouldn't happen to you if you voted libertarian
more often.
Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

Keith Williams wrote:
[...]

Yeabut, just try to put a connector on the end of S cord. I bought some
STO cord once to make a heavy-duty extension cord. I called ahead and
had them cut it for me because it was close to quittin' time. The stuff
was huge and I had a terrible time finding ends that would fit it.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy

Andy writes:

Read my previous post on 15 March , above,
and you will then understand.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:48:09 -0600, Bud-- wrote:

Keith Williams wrote:

[...]

According to what I've read (and implied by the link I gave),
service == stranded.

Many of the Sxx cords have a heavier jacket (as you said) than SJxx and
should be acceptable in any reasonable code. (Some do not - SPx, SVx and
others)
STxx and SJTxx are thermoplastic.

Any SJxx should be acceptable - including SJTxx [as should heavy jacket
Sxx]

I presume the code wants a level of ruggedness for exterior extension
cords - excluding the typical interior SPx "zip" cords. It also excludes
heavy duty flat cords, often yellow, which are common and IMHO heavier
duty than SJ.

I see the real problem with this sort of code is that rubber isn't all
that great when exposed to UV light. There are many better alternatives.
Sxxx is nice stuff, but expensive and not necessarily the best for outdoor
extension cords. ...not to mention that black isn't the best color for
such things. I'd think orange and yellow would be much better. Again, I
suspect the person who wrote this *local* code didn't think it through.

--
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:29:17 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

Keith Williams wrote:
[...]

No problem. I've done it many times. I use it for power tools in my
basement.

I bought some
STO cord once to make a heavy-duty extension cord. I called ahead and
had them cut it for me because it was close to quittin' time. The stuff
was huge and I had a terrible time finding ends that would fit it.

There *are* ends that fit. You gotta buy the whole package. ;-)

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:25:12 -0800, Andy wrote:

Andy writes:

Read my previous post on 15 March , above,
and you will then understand.

I read it and I still don't understand the logic behind the "regulation".
Extension cords are supposed to be temporary. Rubber in sunlight and rain
as semi-permanent wiring scares the hell outta me!

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud--

Keith Williams wrote:

[...]

A good answer based on the link. But stranded is rather silly since most
all cords are stranded.

The NEC says S = hard service cord and SJ = junior hard service cord.

[...]

Most usage is temporary any way. Black plastic sheeting has a degree of
UV resistance because of the black pigment. Might be true of the black
jacket (or might not). If thermoplastic is better STxx, SJTxx could be used.

The description of the code and inspector gives one an appreciation of
how bad it can be.

bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy

Andy replies to Keith:

I suspect that since it is used on a lake, and is
often used to run power out to a dock for temporary
lights and stuff, they don't want it to fall into the
water and kill the fish.... Otherwise, people would be
splicing ROMEX together with wire nuts and electrocuting
themselves and the wildlife. Also, sometimes it floods
slightly and stuff laying along the ground at lakeside
will be under water......
A lot of regulations are just made arbitrary so that
owner-rigged stuff that is dangerous can be legally
removed.....
I don't disagree with the regulation -- it doesn't seem
to be restrictive to me, or overly arbitrary......
Like having to stop at a stop sign even when you
don't see anybody coming ------- It's probably saved
some lives or wildlife...
Remember, I live in an unincorporated area where there
are NO building inspections. The water district decided there
needed to be SOME control over electrical installations on
boathouses and stuff, so they did the best they could, keeping
it very simple so there would be no misinterpretation.....

That's the best reason I can come up with......

Thanks again for all the info,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams

In article ,
says...

Keith Williams wrote:

[...]

If they're not, they're not type 'S' and not "service". ;-)

The NEC says S = hard service cord and SJ = junior hard service cord.

Perhaps, I've heard both used where service == stranded.
^

+ defined to be

[...]

My point about black wasn't the color's inherent UV resistance
rather it gets hidden more easily, thus yellow/orange is a better
alternative, on the ground, around lawn mowers. ;-)

The description of the code and inspector gives one an appreciation of
how bad it can be.

Indeedy. The OP is right and just do what the inspector wants.
This one isn't worth a fight. He may need to save that for
something more important.

--
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

Keith Williams wrote:
In article ,
says...

Keith Williams wrote:

[...]

Yep, although it might be worth asking them if he can use SJW since it's
the same thing but weatherproof. They should be able to understand
that. It could also be that by type SJ they mean any subtype SJxxx.
(don't assume; you gotta ask about something like that)

S vs. SJ is not worth fighting over.

Best regards,
Bob

electrical grounding question Bill Home Repair 1 December 2nd 05 05:04 PM
Electrical Cord Corinne Home Repair 7 November 8th 05 02:34 AM
Updates/Clarified Electrical Question Michael Roback Home Repair 3 January 23rd 05 11:58 PM
Electrical question about a switch D. J. Dorn Woodworking 9 January 21st 05 01:29 PM