Posted to alt.home.repair
Nose

Default advice needed... water/wall problem above fiberglass shower stall

I have a one piece fiberglass shower in my master bath. The
fiberglass stall is only 6 feet tall and the remaining two feet to the
ceiling is painted drywall. Not surprising to me, the drywall is
crumbling where it meets the fiberglass due to the
moisture/steam/splashes from the shower. A small bead of caulk seems
to be ineffective. What should I do? Is there a way the drywall and
fiberglass can peacefully co-exist? (More caulk?) Should I tile the
area from the fiberglass to the ceiling? (I have a tile floor that I
hope I could match). If I do this... how to do it? Cut away all the
drywall, install Durock directly to studs, tile on top of that? Would
this be a hard job? Any advice?

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Knot" wrote in message
You need a vent in the bathroom and a window that can open.

"Nose" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a one piece fiberglass shower in my master bath. The
fiberglass stall is only 6 feet tall and the remaining two feet to the
ceiling is painted drywall. Not surprising to me, the drywall is
crumbling where it meets the fiberglass due to the
moisture/steam/splashes from the shower. A small bead of caulk seems
to be ineffective. What should I do? Is there a way the drywall and
fiberglass can peacefully co-exist? (More caulk?) Should I tile the
area from the fiberglass to the ceiling? (I have a tile floor that I
hope I could match). If I do this... how to do it? Cut away all the
drywall, install Durock directly to studs, tile on top of that? Would
this be a hard job? Any advice?

If the drywall had been properly primed and painted with a good Oil based or
bathroom paint, the crumbling might not have happened.

After repairing (gouge out bad gypsum and patch with plaster or some other
patch that won't soften when rewetted like drywall mud will) prime and paint
as I suggested.