Posted to alt.home.repair
PeterM

Default My Generac Megaforce 6500 generator has no output

I wonder if any of you nice people wouldn't mind giving a grandpa in
California a helping hand, as far as starting to check why my generator
doesn't have any output all of a sudden. The engine runs, but no joy as far
as electricity. I tried several items, just in case one electrical item was
bad. I pushed all the reset buttons on the panel, but nothing works. Is
there a hidden reset anywhere? I hate to take it to the dealer, I'm afraid
they may tell me I need a new one. Please, I mean no insult to the service
people, all I want is to check first.......The unit I have is a Generac
Megaforce 6500 --1006-1......Peter

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Was it let sit and not run for 6 months then likely the gen has lost
residual magnetism and Flashing the field is necessary, if you are handy
and comfortable jumping the gen head with the motor running I can look
for the manual, otherwise get a pro to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PeterM

Oh my God, it is just the way you described it.......I will never do it
again, not starting it every week or so. It has been a while since I have
started it, except for today. First pull, it started right away, but no
juice. I have the owners manual, but it does not mention what you described
as jumping the head. If there is a manual to get that tells me how to do it,
like a shop manual, please get it for me, I can send you money in advance
for any cost and naturally shipping etc. I am so excited, because my gut
tells me you are right on..........Peter

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Was it let sit and not run for 6 months then likely the gen has lost
residual magnetism and Flashing the field is necessary, if you are handy
and comfortable jumping the gen head with the motor running I can look
for the manual, otherwise get a pro to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PeterM

I just looked up some words you used, and found a device on Ebay, 30.- that
is used to flash generators.......Is that something you were talking about,
it looked like a flashlight with a 3 prong plug at the end........Peter

news

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Was it let sit and not run for 6 months then likely the gen has lost
residual magnetism and Flashing the field is necessary, if you are handy
and comfortable jumping the gen head with the motor running I can look
for the manual, otherwise get a pro to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay

"PeterM" wrote in message
I wonder if any of you nice people wouldn't mind giving a grandpa in
California a helping hand, as far as starting to check why my generator
doesn't have any output all of a sudden. The engine runs, but no joy as far
as electricity. I tried several items, just in case one electrical item was
bad. I pushed all the reset buttons on the panel, but nothing works. Is
there a hidden reset anywhere? I hate to take it to the dealer, I'm afraid
they may tell me I need a new one. Please, I mean no insult to the service
people, all I want is to check first.......The unit I have is a Generac
Megaforce 6500 --1006-1......Peter

Peter:

Here's another one currently for sale on e-bay:

Looks good, I'm going to get one myself.

Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

"PeterM" wrote in message
news
Oh my God, it is just the way you described it.......I will never do it
again, not starting it every week or so. It has been a while since I have
started it, except for today. First pull, it started right away, but no
juice. I have the owners manual, but it does not mention what you
described
as jumping the head. If there is a manual to get that tells me how to do

it,
like a shop manual, please get it for me, I can send you money in advance
for any cost and naturally shipping etc. I am so excited, because my gut
tells me you are right on..........Peter

Here is the way Coleman does it, should be the same.

EXCITING THE GENERATOR:
NOTE: If your generator is a brushless unit, please contact
your local service center or the COLEMAN® POWERMATE®
Product Service Department for assistance with exciting your
generator.
If there is a loss of residual magnetism (voltage will not build up),
it may be necessary to re-excite the unit.
1. Use a 6-volt lantern battery
(dry cell) or a 12-volt
automotive battery.
2. Disconnect all loads from
generator.
3. Remove the brush cover.
4. Plug a lamp or light into the
generator before starting the
engine. The light source will
illuminate when voltage has
returned.
5. Start the engine with no load connected to the generator.
6. Attach the "-" lead of the battery to the negative brush. Very
briefly, touch the "+" lead of the battery to the positive brush as
shown. Remove as soon as voltage builds up. To measure
voltage, use a plug-in voltmeter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Dont buy anything , there is nothing to buy, you simply hook a cable to
a positive terminal on a battery then the positive brush on the gen
head, while it is running for a second or 3, what I need my literature
for is to tell you which one is positive and if you need + and -,
Generac has an 800# but the rep probably wont tell you anything, or
google " Flashing a gen" but I will look through my mess. You dont need
to start it every week or month, but 6 mo is max, Geez, I havnt started
my Generac 7500 in 9 months, I hope its OK. My fax is broke but I may
have it stored on E mail if your address is correct.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Right Ralph, but be sure you find a marked + brush, or your polarity is
reversed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

I looked at that E bay thing, If it worked why wouldnt Generac just say
to plug in 12v into the socket. Good idea if it works, but does it work.

Posted to alt.home.repair
volts500

PeterM wrote:
Oh my God, it is just the way you described it.......I will never do it
again, not starting it every week or so.

Just starting the generator is not sufficient....make sure that you put
a load on it!

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

That is true without any load running it wont magnetise the gen, 100
watts is all you need for 5 minutes to get you by another 6 months.