Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New window in shower - use Corian?

I'm planning on doing a complete renovation of my
straight-from-the-1960's bathroom. One of the issues that I want to
fix is the old wooden window in the shower. Right now there's a
plastic curtain in front of the window that's there to prevent the wood
from getting wet and rotting.

I'd like to replace the old wood window with a vinyl window and finally
getting rid of the plastic curtain, as showering in between two plastic
curtains (the window curtain and the shower curtain) isn't my
preference.

1st question is whether it is an issue if the inside of a vinyl window
gets wet? Obviously windows are designed so that they can get rained
on from the outside. What about the inside of the window? Will this
be an issue, and/or do they design certain types windows specifically
for such settings? I'm trying to figure out whether an awning or
hopper window would be best for not collecting water on the inside
(i.e. I imagine a horizontal sliding window would collect water in the
"groves" at the bottom)

The entire bathwall would be tiled and I'd make sure that the window
sill would be sloped downwards towards the bath tub so that any water
can drip away. Concerning that material, I've read about one company
that uses Corian instead of wood for such a purpose. To me it does
seem to make sense instead of having a wood window sill/trim that can
rot over time. Does using Corian sound like a good idea or something
crazy?

I know that the simple solution would probably be simply to remove the
window completely and use glass blocks instead, but I'd prefer having a
functional window even if it means paying more. As long as it doesn't
cost WAY more.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT

In my last home I had the same situation, and installed an ordinary vinyl,
double hung window. It did not create any problems. I forget exactly how I did
the sill as it has been awhile. But you can get solid vinyl moldings in a
variety of styles at any home center, see what works for you.

Don't limit yourself to the standard casing and sill, look into a picture frame
style, etc. I have windows done picture frame style and think they look very
nice. I also have some done with a variation, using corner blocks instead of
just mitering the frame together.

You will probably need extension jams as most vinyl windows are not very thick.
They can be bent from vinyl or aluminum coil stock so you have no wood at all.
A siding company will bend them for you if you do not have access to stock and
a brake.

But you can also get plain vinyl trim pieces to make the jams, just like the
trim.

Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

wrote:
[...]

If that window has glass less than 5' above the tub floor, it's
required by code to have tempered or safety glass.

Corian is fine for the sill, as is Azek (PVC wood-substitute). The
Azek takes paint well and won't rot.

Whether a vinyl window would work in the wet location would depend on
the type of window and manufacturer. You may need to caulk some holes
and/or seams, but the water won't affect the window itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

in our second floor bathroom we used a vinyl custom made tilt in window
that sends any rainy day water back outdoors on the outside sill. but
we screwed up the inside sill with insufficient pitch to allow for it
to settle into place and wound up adding some vinyl trim on silicone
seal to pitch the shower water from the sill inward to the tub side of
the tub surround.
also you really want to look at some more expensive silent heat light
exhaust fans with the infrared bulbs they are ideal for after your hot
shower on a chilly day. the clear not red lamps add extra light for
shaving or reading.
try this ebay search for sone ratings below one (!) at:
http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/s...&fsop=3&fsoo=1

New walk in shower won't drain ? Getting airlocked? Derek ^ UK diy 9 September 22nd 17 06:47 PM
Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 02:06 PM
window plugs for soundproofing xyz Home Ownership 9 May 31st 04 11:55 PM
uPVC window as bespoke shower panel?! Ian Stirling UK diy 5 May 24th 04 10:51 PM
shower drain for tiled shower floor g UK diy 3 September 2nd 03 02:55 AM