Posted to alt.home.repair
John Sevinsky

Default Hydronic elecric baseboard heater vs standard electric baseboard heater

We are about to put electric heat in our basement, and I need to decide
what type of heater to use. I'm considering baseboard heaters. I
talked to the electrical inspector, and standard electric baseboard
heaters aren't permitted below electrical outlets, but he will allow
electric hydronic heaters because they don't get as hot. I've also
read several postings in newsgroups that support this.

But there's something I don't understand. Since all electric heaters
are 100% efficient, how can an 8' 2000 watt hydronic electric heater
not put out as much heat as an 8' 2000 watt standard electric heater?

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
Murray Peterson

"John Sevinsky" wrote in
oups.com:

But there's something I don't understand. Since all electric heaters
are 100% efficient, how can an 8' 2000 watt hydronic electric heater
not put out as much heat as an 8' 2000 watt standard electric heater?

You are confusing heat (energy) with temperature. Both types put out the
same amount of energy. The hydronic heaters radiate their heat from a
larger surface, but at a lower surface temperature. The standard electric
heater has a smaller radiating surface that runs at a higer temperature.
Posted to alt.home.repair
John Sevinsky

OK, that makes sense. But if the concern is about melting wires
plugged into the outlets above, wouldn't both heaters put out the same
amount of heat? Or is the concern more about the wires falling into
the heater and touching the heating element?

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Sevinsky

What I understand so far is that that because the hydronic heating
element has a larger diameter, it has more surface area, and does not
get as hot. But it radiates the same amount of heat as the smaller
diameter element in the standard heater, which gets hotter.

But, I guess I'm having a problem with the temperature of the metal
enclosure and the temperature of the air flowing through it. Aren't
they about the same for both types? If not, then that's my problem. I
can believe that if more air flows through the hydronic heater, the air
temperature would be lower. Is this the case?

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

Exactly, the temp is lower, because the surface area is larger. Same
amount of heat. Same size electric bill.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Murray Peterson

"John Sevinsky" wrote in
ups.com:

OK, that makes sense. But if the concern is about melting wires
plugged into the outlets above, wouldn't both heaters put out the same
amount of heat? Or is the concern more about the wires falling into
the heater and touching the heating element?

The concern is about fire hazard -- the wires falling (or draping) into the
heating element and catching fire. The hydronic has a lower surface
temperature because the heating element is buried inside a larger liquid-
filled container, and thus its surface temperature never reaches the
ignition point for many commany items (such as plastic wires).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you considered replacing the cover only? http://www.ventandcover.com
John