burning rubber smell in my home

Old March 6th 06, 05:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default burning rubber smell in my home

I have all of a sudden had a burning rubber odor in my dining room. I
had an electrician come out and he assured me that it is not
electrical. I saw a few articles that suggested heater problems. The
odor is actually in the wall on the opposite side of the room from the
heater vent? Any ideas as to what this may be and who I should call?
Any and all advice is welcomed!

Old March 6th 06, 06:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 6 Mar 2006 09:20:25 -0800, "Needs Help in Roswell"
wrote:

I have all of a sudden had a burning rubber odor in my dining room. I
had an electrician come out and he assured me that it is not
electrical. I saw a few articles that suggested heater problems. The
odor is actually in the wall on the opposite side of the room from the
heater vent? Any ideas as to what this may be and who I should call?
Any and all advice is welcomed!

Well, that's a classic description of skunk odor. Any chance it's
that?
Old March 6th 06, 06:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I've never associated skunk with burning rubber. Is there a room
upstairs that might have a heating vent with a duct running through
that wall where the odor is originating? Even if there is, I'd be very
surprised if it was the heating duct getting that hot. I'd still be
worried about electrical problems despite what the electrician said.
Is the wall warm to the touch anywhere?

Old March 6th 06, 07:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Needs Help in Roswell" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have all of a sudden had a burning rubber odor in my dining room. I
had an electrician come out and he assured me that it is not
electrical. I saw a few articles that suggested heater problems. The
odor is actually in the wall on the opposite side of the room from the
heater vent? Any ideas as to what this may be and who I should call?
Any and all advice is welcomed!

Total long shot here but I thought I'd through it out there... I had a
burning rubber odor in my house that took forever to identify. Turned out it
was a bad UV light bulb that was emitting too much ozone. I have a UV light
filter attached to my A/C unit. Any chance you have any UV light bulbs
around? Good luck!

Old March 6th 06, 07:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Two things come to mind. A loose and burning belt on a heater blower
or other appliance such as washer or dryer, OR you have a teenager who
has been using your car and left black rubber lines all the way down
your driveway. If you have a teenager, I'd punish them first and ask
questions later. Otherwise, start checking appliances that have
belts. especially the furnace blower.

Old March 6th 06, 07:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 6 Mar 2006 09:20:25 -0800, Needs Help in Roswell wrote:

I have all of a sudden had a burning rubber odor in my dining room. I

Somebody serving broiled hockey puck?
Old March 7th 06, 03:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

- wrote:
-
- I have all of a sudden had a burning rubber odor in my dining room. I
- had an electrician come out and he assured me that it is not
- electrical. I saw a few articles that suggested heater problems. The
- odor is actually in the wall on the opposite side of the room from the
- heater vent? Any ideas as to what this may be and who I should call?
- Any and all advice is welcomed!
-
- Well, that's a classic description of skunk odor. Any chance it's
- that?

You must not live anywhere near skunks. I live in central Texas and, believe
me, skunk smell is very unique. There's no mistaking it for anything!!
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/
Old March 7th 06, 06:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Suzie-Q wrote:

- wrote:
-
- I have all of a sudden had a burning rubber odor in my dining room. I
- had an electrician come out and he assured me that it is not
- electrical. I saw a few articles that suggested heater problems. The
- odor is actually in the wall on the opposite side of the room from the
- heater vent? Any ideas as to what this may be and who I should call?
- Any and all advice is welcomed!
-
- Well, that's a classic description of skunk odor. Any chance it's
- that?

You must not live anywhere near skunks. I live in central Texas and, believe
me, skunk smell is very unique. There's no mistaking it for anything!!

Skunk with a muscle car, he meant.

Old March 7th 06, 06:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Needs Help in Roswell wrote:
I have all of a sudden had a burning rubber odor in my dining room. I
had an electrician come out and he assured me that it is not
electrical. I saw a few articles that suggested heater problems. The
odor is actually in the wall on the opposite side of the room from the
heater vent? Any ideas as to what this may be and who I should call?
Any and all advice is welcomed!

Sometimes I find funny scents kind of like you describe, best I can
trace them is they seem to come up from the car/garage (in the
basement) under some circumstances which I can't define.

Old March 8th 06, 01:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair

At Ground Zero, skunk spray does, in my
opinion, smell like burning
rubber .... expecially on a dog!!!!
Also, when it is far away, it smells
a bit like coffee. I once read that a
chemist said there is some chemical
basis for the coffee smell.

Anyway, I have, over the past year, been
occasionally smelling something
like "something is too hot" smell.
Sometimes it is like rubber, other times,
it's different. I found that it happens
when the dishwasher is on the dry
cycle where a piece of food gets
"cooked" on the element. It is strange
how the air currents in a house move the
smell where you'd least expect
it.

Suzie-Q wrote:

-