Posted to alt.home.repair
MB

Default Running electric...

I'm putting a bathroom in my 2nd floor (new construction, none exists
at this location).. I need to bring a few circuits up from the service
panel in the basement. There is two chases available for me to run
them in, seperated by the chimney between the two chases. The first
chase is full (Heat, AC Return, various other electric cables just
hanging in there)...I want to use the other chase....Problem is tacking
the cables in the chase as I only have access from the 2nd floor and
the basement, no way to secure the cables at the 1st floor level (w/o
removing walls, etc on the 1st floor).

I'd like to run EMT from the 2nd floor to the basement and run the
cables through that....Is there any code issues with running the cables
through EMT? I'd be able to secure the EMT on both the 2nd floor and
the basement level.

Thanks in advance, this group has always been helpful in the past!

Matt

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

There is no problem fishing the cable through the chase. You don't have to
staple it where you can't reach it. If you want to use conduit, I'd
recommend PVC, so if the cable were to get cut by the conduit, it's
nonconductive.

"MB" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Uh, no, metal conduit is stronger, won't break, splinter or
crack, and more protective phsically, plus nearly any code will
accept it. Not so with plastics.
That's not to say plastic isn't acceptable; it may well be
fine with your local codes. The only way to know is to check.
They're in the phone book, easy to find.

I can't imagine how you would think conduit can cut wire; if it
goes in uncut, it'll stay uncut. Moreso in metal, in fact, than
in plastic.

All that said, there ARE correct ways to use conduit; research it
a little bit if it's totally new to you. Do it right and then
you can forget about it after it's in, and you'll never lose a
night's sleep over it.

HTH

Pop

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
There is no problem fishing the cable through the chase. You
don't have to staple it where you can't reach it. If you want
to use conduit, I'd recommend PVC, so if the cable were to get
cut by the conduit, it's nonconductive.

"MB" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

"Pop" wrote in message
[...]

"MB" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Metal conduit would need to be grounded.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg G

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 00:12:02 GMT, "Pop"
wrote:

I can't imagine how you would think conduit can cut wire; if it
goes in uncut, it'll stay uncut.

You're supposed to carefully file out the inside of the cut ends of
the pipe to make sure there's no sharp "flash" or burr left that might
damage the wires as they are pulled through. An electrician friend of
mine was quite emphatic about that. A rattail file should do fine.

Greg Guarino

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Uh, no, metal conduit is stronger, won't break, splinter or
crack, and more protective phsically, plus nearly any code will
accept it. Not so with plastics.
That's not to say plastic isn't acceptable; it may well be
fine with your local codes. The only way to know is to check.
They're in the phone book, easy to find.

I can't imagine how you would think conduit can cut wire; if it
goes in uncut, it'll stay uncut. Moreso in metal, in fact, than
in plastic.

All that said, there ARE correct ways to use conduit; research it
a little bit if it's totally new to you. Do it right and then
you can forget about it after it's in, and you'll never lose a
night's sleep over it.

HTH

Pop

It ould cut the wire if the pipes became separated, and going to
floors will require at least 2 sticks of conduit, so you must be sure
the coupler is very tight. Personally, I'd use the pvc, which once is
glued, will not come apart. However, if you want steel, use
Greenfield. That us a spiral metalic conduit that flexes and is
durable. It's used in commercial applications very often to meet all
codes.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Filing the burr is fine when you are using fittings, like connectors and
couplings, if you're sleeving romex through it, you have to use proper
bushings, and like John said, it has to be grounded, so if it should cut
through the insulation of the romex, it trips the breaker and doesn't just
make the sleeve "live". Which is in many cases what makes it impractical to
use

wrote:

I can't imagine how you would think conduit can cut wire; if it
goes in uncut, it'll stay uncut.

You're supposed to carefully file out the inside of the cut ends of
the pipe to make sure there's no sharp "flash" or burr left that might
damage the wires as they are pulled through. An electrician friend of
mine was quite emphatic about that. A rattail file should do fine.

Greg Guarino

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud--

Pop wrote:
[...]

"MB" wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

Fishing Romex through such a space is a common practice. I don't see why
conduit is useful.

I don't see an advantage of EMT over PVC.

In addition to reaming the pipe, the NEC requires a fitting (connector,
coupling) on the ends to protect the cable (2005NEC 300.15-C). This
provides a more rounded edge. Even this edge can cut the jacket and
insulation if installed carelessly. I know of no requirement for a bushing.

"Short sections" of conduit for protection of cable are not required to
be grounded (250.86-ex2).

bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud--

RBM wrote:
You're correct, if you consider 16 feet of emt a "short section"

"Short section" is a remarkably ambiguous phrase and I would think you
could get very different answers from different inspectors. I agree
going one story sounds longish. One could also argue the EMT is not for
protection and doesn't qualify for the exemption. I would beg the
question and fish it.

bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair
hah

RBM wrote:
You're correct, if you consider 16 feet of emt a "short section"

"Short section" is a remarkably ambiguous phrase and I would think you
could get very different answers from different inspectors. I agree
going one story sounds longish. One could also argue the EMT is not for
protection and doesn't qualify for the exemption. I would beg the
question and fish it.

bud--

A "short section" is one less than 30,000 miles long.
Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

hah wrote:
On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 16:28:58 -0600, Bud--
wrote:

((snipped))

A "short section" is one less than 30,000 miles long.

No way! A section is a mile square so each side
is 1 mile long (5280 feet). Thus a short section
has to be less than 5280 feet. Unless one means
to say it is a section short.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 00:12:57 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

hah wrote:
On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 16:28:58 -0600, Bud--
wrote:

((snipped))

A "short section" is one less than 30,000 miles long.

No way! A section is a mile square so each side
is 1 mile long (5280 feet). Thus a short section
has to be less than 5280 feet. Unless one means
to say it is a section short.

How many #12 wires can you put in a 1-mile square conduit?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com