Posted to alt.home.repair

Default IKO Roofing Shingles

Anyone have experience with these shingles?

http://www.iko.com/roofing_shingles_...nsulation.html

The second estimator for my new roof recommended this brand. He claimed
that Owens and GAF have had major warranty-related expenses, both having
filing bankrupcy to avoid payouts (mainly due to asbestos issues) and
screwing the homeowner. He claims IKO never did this, but in googling
around the discussion groups, a lot of people don't think much of IKO.

The estimator's recommendation was for the IKO Cambridge AR line. (AR
means algae-resistant.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rebel1" wrote in message
Anyone have experience with these shingles?

http://www.iko.com/roofing_shingles_...nsulation.html

The second estimator for my new roof recommended this brand. He claimed
that Owens and GAF have had major warranty-related expenses, both having
filing bankrupcy to avoid payouts (mainly due to asbestos issues) and
screwing the homeowner. He claims IKO never did this, but in googling
around the discussion groups, a lot of people don't think much of IKO.

The estimator's recommendation was for the IKO Cambridge AR line. (AR
means algae-resistant.)

Back when I did a lot of roofing, used IKO 3 tab one time. I drive by the
house almost daily, the roof still looks good being around 15 yrs old. IKO
wasn't a major player around here, and was a hard shingle to sell, mostly
because people never heard of them. Also, the 3 tab they sold, was a
metric. But, now seem like all manufacturers went to metric on their
architectural coverings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 17:15:33 -0400, "Gomba" wrote:

"Rebel1" wrote in message
[...]

My last IKO 25 year roof lasted 17 years. It wasn't leaking yet, but
the eaves trough was constantly filling with roof gravel off the
shingles so I figured it was time.
I built my shed in '96 and used the same shingles. I'm going to have
to get up on that sucker one of these days and replace it too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rebel1" wrote in message
[...]

I have them on 2 sheds and a 2-car garage that I reroofed. The house
ha soem ohter brand because the pro who did that had a problem with
IKO on a prior job. His
'stooorrreeeyy' sounded suspiciously like he himself screwed it up
though.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rebel1" wrote in message
Anyone have experience with these shingles?

http://www.iko.com/roofing_shingles_...nsulation.html

The second estimator for my new roof recommended this brand. He claimed
that Owens and GAF have had major warranty-related expenses, both having
filing bankrupcy to avoid payouts (mainly due to asbestos issues) and
screwing the homeowner. He claims IKO never did this, but in googling
around the discussion groups, a lot of people don't think much of IKO.

The estimator's recommendation was for the IKO Cambridge AR line. (AR
means algae-resistant.)

Both did file bankruptcy many years ago. The litigation about
asbestos was overwhelming. It was a bad time for anyone in an asbestos
related business. I don't see how it has affected anyone buying
their product in the past couple of decades though. IKO is a Canadian
company and I have no idea if they made asbestos products or not, but
they are not subject to US bankruptcy laws.

Personally, I'd not trust the estimator. I don't like (or trust) a
salesman that uses negativity of the competitors product rather than
the features and benefits of his own. My guess is he makes more money
if you buy IKO so that is why he is pushing it. I have no experience
with them myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 23:58:11 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Rebel1" wrote in message
[...]

My SUSPISCION - and that's all it is at this time, is if you buy the
TOP line from any manufacturer you will get a decent (if not
fantastic) product that will last close to the warranted lifespan, but
if you get the low end from any manufacturer you are in trouble. I
KNOW the current (and last 10 years) crop of roofing materials is
inferior in MANY ways to what was available 30 or more years ago.
Environmental concerns have dictated that to a large degree, but we
cannot rule out the influences of the stack market and "engineering by
accountant syndrome" either. When a company, or industry, cuts corners
you can bet it WILL come back and bite them in the rear, sooner or
later.
Considering the cost of the materials on a re-roof job is becoming a
smaller and smaller portion of the total cost, the difference between
a cheap shingle and a top line shingle is becomming a smaller and
smaller percent of the total job every day.

The roofers around here are even starting to quote a full
under-shingle roof covering - building felt or the newer stuff, and
lots of ice and gutter guard - as part of their "standard" roofing
package again, after a few years of having to BEG them to take your
money to apply even the "required" roofing felt.
Perhaps the competition has cooled off a bit so they are not competing
exclusively on price any more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/13/2012 11:58 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Rebel1" wrote in message
[...]

So far, I've had two estimates. The first was from a company known to be
on the pricy side: $11,940 for Owens or GAF. (about 3400 sq feet, plus
60' of ridge vent) The estimator pushing IKO wants only $9280.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rebel1 wrote:

Anyone have experience with these shingles?

http://www.iko.com/roofing_shingles_...nsulation.html

The second estimator for my new roof recommended this brand. He claimed
that Owens and GAF have had major warranty-related expenses, both having
filing bankrupcy to avoid payouts (mainly due to asbestos issues) and
screwing the homeowner. He claims IKO never did this, but in googling
around the discussion groups, a lot of people don't think much of IKO.

The estimator's recommendation was for the IKO Cambridge AR line. (AR
means algae-resistant.)

Depending on where you live, you may be able to get a large reduction
in you home owners insurance by using Class 4 Impact Resistance
singles. If you get much hail in your area, you need to check with
your insurance agent. The pay back for my home is less than 3 years
for the upgrade from laminated shingles.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rebel1" wrote in message
[...]

Not likely to be $2600 difference in the price of the shingles, apples
to apples, so start looking for other cuts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So far, I've had two estimates. The first was from a company known to be
on the pricy side: $11,940 for Owens or GAF. (about 3400 sq feet, plus
60' of ridge vent) The estimator pushing IKO wants only $9280.

While saving $2600+ is nice, I'd check out some work by both
contractors. Sometimes it is worth paying more for a better job, but
everything being equal, you can save quite a bit with the IKO guy.

In my non-professional opinion, there will be little difference in the
outcome based on shingle brand. These guys have to be competitive on
both price and quality and they buy each other's product often do to
testing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am an estima

On Friday, July 13, 2012 2:07:46 PM UTC-6, Rebel1 wrote:
Anyone have experience with these shingles?

http://www.iko.com/roofing_shingles_...nsulation.html

The second estimator for my new roof recommended this brand. He claimed
that Owens and GAF have had major warranty-related expenses, both having
filing bankrupcy to avoid payouts (mainly due to asbestos issues) and
screwing the homeowner. He claims IKO never did this, but in googling
around the discussion groups, a lot of people don't think much of IKO..

The estimator's recommendation was for the IKO Cambridge AR line. (AR
means algae-resistant.)

I am an estimator for a roofing company and I would not touch IKO. The shingles are crap and the warranty is a joke. They do not replce them unless there is a leak. They can curl and look like hell but are not warranted. Gaf is an excellent product and they look after their customers.Iko used to be really good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/18/2012 6:35 PM, Jim Rusling wrote:
Rebel1 wrote:

Anyone have experience with these shingles?

http://www.iko.com/roofing_shingles_...nsulation.html

The second estimator for my new roof recommended this brand. He claimed
that Owens and GAF have had major warranty-related expenses, both having
filing bankrupcy to avoid payouts (mainly due to asbestos issues) and
screwing the homeowner. He claims IKO never did this, but in googling
around the discussion groups, a lot of people don't think much of IKO.

The estimator's recommendation was for the IKO Cambridge AR line. (AR
means algae-resistant.)

Depending on where you live, you may be able to get a large reduction
in you home owners insurance by using Class 4 Impact Resistance
singles. If you get much hail in your area, you need to check with
your insurance agent. The pay back for my home is less than 3 years
for the upgrade from laminated shingles.

Thanks for the thoughtful suggestion. Here in central N.J., we rarely
have hail, and when we do, the stones are about pea size.