Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wax Ring for Toilet

I have to remove a toilet. It's the first time I've done it. How do I
know which wax ring to buy at Lowes? Any tips to keep me out of trouble?

http://goo.gl/PCzaB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 6:41*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
I have to remove a toilet. It's the first time I've done it. How do I
know which wax ring to buy at Lowes? Any tips to keep me out of trouble?

http://goo.gl/PCzaB

They are kind of a generic item and any one will work
fine with 95% of the toilets out there. I have seen some
that are extra thick, if the flange is a bit low. And there
are some more pricey ones that are made out of
something other than wax, ie some kind of urethane
I think. But if it's typical toilet the standard wax ones
are fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:47:38 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Jul 17, 6:41*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
I have to remove a toilet. It's the first time I've done it. How do I
know which wax ring to buy at Lowes? Any tips to keep me out of trouble?

http://goo.gl/PCzaB

They are kind of a generic item and any one will work
fine with 95% of the toilets out there. I have seen some
that are extra thick, if the flange is a bit low. And there
are some more pricey ones that are made out of
something other than wax, ie some kind of urethane
I think. But if it's typical toilet the standard wax ones
are fine.

I would use a Fluidmaster Wax-Free Bowl Gasket if I could. They don't
as the drain is a shallow sweep, so it will not properly seat. These
are reusable for use later.

Item #: 172788 | Model #: 7500

Wax-Free Bowl Gasket
• Install a toilet without messy wax
• Fits 3" and 4" drain pipes
• Easy to install
• 10-year warranty

http://www.lowes.com/pd_172788-320-7500_0__?productId=1043175&Ntt=wax+ring&pl=1&curre ntURL=&facetInfo=

If they have changed types or another brand may work. I have not
checked in years since the last toilet R&R. My toilets are on a
concrete slab.

sigh
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote in
:

I have to remove a toilet. It's the first time I've done it. How do I
know which wax ring to buy at Lowes? Any tips to keep me out of trouble?

http://goo.gl/PCzaB

Why you have to remove it might get some additional tips being a first
timer. For instance, putting tile in you may need a riser.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Why do you have to remove the toilet? Never know, there may be a simpler
approach.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"mcp6453" wrote in message
I have to remove a toilet. It's the first time I've done it. How do I
know which wax ring to buy at Lowes? Any tips to keep me out of trouble?

http://goo.gl/PCzaB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/17/2012 8:04 PM, Red Green wrote:
mcp6453 wrote in
:

I have to remove a toilet. It's the first time I've done it. How do I
know which wax ring to buy at Lowes? Any tips to keep me out of trouble?

http://goo.gl/PCzaB

Why you have to remove it might get some additional tips being a first
timer. For instance, putting tile in you may need a riser.

The toilet is slow to drain. I don't have a snake, and the guy at Lowes told me
that the best solution is to remove it an clean it out. He said that lots of
toilets get damaged with snakes.

It's not really a money thing, but buying a $5 or less wax ring is cheaper than
buying a snake that may or may not damage the porcelain on the 30-year old toilet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
On 7/17/2012 8:04 PM, Red Green wrote:
mcp6453 wrote in
:

I have to remove a toilet. It's the first time I've done it. How do
I know which wax ring to buy at Lowes? Any tips to keep me out of
trouble?

http://goo.gl/PCzaB

Why you have to remove it might get some additional tips being a
first timer. For instance, putting tile in you may need a riser.

The toilet is slow to drain. I don't have a snake, and the guy at
Lowes told me that the best solution is to remove it an clean it out.
He said that lots of toilets get damaged with snakes.

It's not really a money thing, but buying a $5 or less wax ring is
cheaper than buying a snake that may or may not damage the porcelain
on the 30-year old toilet.

Heh!

Removing and replacing a toilet, while trivial, is about a 200-curseword
job.

If you're going to that much trouble, wait a week and see what shows up on
Craigslist. This is an excellent opportunity to upgrade the fixture.

While you're at Lowes for the wax ring, pick up a set of anchoring bolts -
they, too, almost always have to be replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've been reading this list for several years. Can't say as I remember
anyone mentioning a toilet damaged by a closet auger. I did scratch a toilet
one time, using a regular drain snake.

A good closet auger has a sleeve, and a protector, so not to scratch the
bowl. About 2/3 of the way down the page is an illustration.
http://www.homerepairforum.com/forum...ng-toilet.html

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"mcp6453" wrote in message

The toilet is slow to drain. I don't have a snake, and the guy at Lowes told
me
that the best solution is to remove it an clean it out. He said that lots of
toilets get damaged with snakes.

It's not really a money thing, but buying a $5 or less wax ring is cheaper
than
buying a snake that may or may not damage the porcelain on the 30-year old
toilet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 07:25:59 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

....and that's when all goes well. The first one I did (at my mother's place
about 25 years ago) was installed wrong and the seal didn't fit properly. It
took a while to realize the flange was set too high. It was Christmas Eve and
the hardware stores closed early. $%^%$##$@#$$%Z^%67

If you're going to that much trouble, wait a week and see what shows up on
Craigslist. This is an excellent opportunity to upgrade the fixture.

You don't want a crappy crapper.

While you're at Lowes for the wax ring, pick up a set of anchoring bolts -
they, too, almost always have to be replaced.

Yes, and you might just as well split the thing apart and replace the tank
gasket and the entire guts of the thing. $20 is money well spent, as long as
you're in there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:41:23 -0400, mcp6453 wrote:

I have to remove a toilet. It's the first time I've done it. How do I
know which wax ring to buy at Lowes? Any tips to keep me out of trouble?

http://goo.gl/PCzaB

I like these better than wax rings:
http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/wax-free-toilet-seal

I buy them at Ace Hardware.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 6:18*am, Kuskokwim wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:41:23 -0400, mcp6453 wrote:
I have to remove a toilet. It's the first time I've done it. How do I
know which wax ring to buy at Lowes? Any tips to keep me out of trouble?

http://goo.gl/PCzaB

I like these better than wax rings:http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/wax-free-toilet-seal

I buy them at Ace Hardware.

Amen to that. I'll never go back to the wax rings again. I don't
think _anyone_ wouild return to wax rings after trying the waxless
once.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 9:19*am, Harry K wrote:
On Jul 18, 6:18*am, Kuskokwim wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:41:23 -0400, mcp6453 wrote:
I have to remove a toilet. It's the first time I've done it. How do I
know which wax ring to buy at Lowes? Any tips to keep me out of trouble?

http://goo.gl/PCzaB

I like these better than wax rings:http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/wax-free-toilet-seal

I buy them at Ace Hardware.

Amen to that. *I'll never go back to the wax rings again. *I don't
think _anyone_ wouild return to wax rings after trying the waxless
once.

Harry K

Fernco is a well-known brand and is high-quality, A closet auger will
not wcratch the porcelain finish if used as shown in:Stoprmin Mormims
mail

A good closet auger has a sleeve, and a protector, so not to scratch
the
bowl. About 2/3 of the way down the page is an illustration.
http://www.homerepairforum.com/forum...-draining-toil....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 07:19:54 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Jul 18, 6:18*am, Kuskokwim wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:41:23 -0400, mcp6453 wrote:
I have to remove a toilet. It's the first time I've done it. How do I
know which wax ring to buy at Lowes? Any tips to keep me out of trouble?

http://goo.gl/PCzaB

I like these better than wax rings:http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/wax-free-toilet-seal

I buy them at Ace Hardware.

Amen to that. I'll never go back to the wax rings again. I don't
think _anyone_ wouild return to wax rings after trying the waxless
once.

Harry K

I agree. I'm going to try the "Fernco" brand next time to see if it
will fit. My drain has a shallow sweep, so the Fluidmaster Wax-Free
Bowl Gasket would not seat (to long) deep enough.

Fluidmaster states not to trim it down as there is a chance of failure
or loss of the O-ring seal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kuskokwim wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:41:23 -0400, mcp6453 wrote:

I have to remove a toilet. It's the first time I've done it. How do I
know which wax ring to buy at Lowes? Any tips to keep me out of
trouble?

http://goo.gl/PCzaB

I like these better than wax rings:
http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/wax-free-toilet-seal

Thanks for the link -- very interesting. I'll probably try them.

I clicked on the link on the web page and watched the video. One question I
have has to do with peeling off the covering and sticking the Fernco to the
bottom of the toilet. I am wondering if there are any issues with making
sure that the Fernco is centered correctly when sticking it to the toilet so
that it matches up and goes into the sewer drain correctly. I assume that
"close enough" when centering and sticking the Fernco to the toilet works,
but I thought I'd ask here if anyone has had any issues or problems with
that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 10:24*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
On 7/17/2012 8:04 PM, Red Green wrote:

mcp6453 wrote in
m:

I have to remove a toilet. It's the first time I've done it. How do I
know which wax ring to buy at Lowes? Any tips to keep me out of trouble?

http://goo.gl/PCzaB

Why you have to remove it might get some additional tips being a first
timer. For instance, putting tile in you may need a riser.

The toilet is slow to drain. I don't have a snake, and the guy at Lowes told me
that the best solution is to remove it an clean it out. He said that lots of
toilets get damaged with snakes.

It's not really a money thing, but buying a $5 or less wax ring is cheaper than
buying a snake that may or may not damage the porcelain on the 30-year old toilet.

Has anyone mentioned a "sluggish toilet" as the cause?

If that's the problem, there's no need to R&R the toilet.

Have you tried flushing by pouring a bucket of water into the bowl?

If it flushes normally - as in "not slow" - then you may have what is
sometimes known as a "sluggish toilet".

Mineral deposits in the inlet holes under the rim can prevent the tank
water from entering the bowl fast enough to allow the toilet to flush
efficiently.

There are products that supposedly dissolve the deposits, but I used
to clean mine by spraying with vinager and then scraping with the end
of a wire hanger, one hole at a time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jul 18, 6:18*am, Kuskokwim wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:41:23 -0400, mcp6453 wrote:
I have to remove a toilet. It's the first time I've done it. How do I
know which wax ring to buy at Lowes? Any tips to keep me out of trouble?

http://goo.gl/PCzaB

I like these better than wax rings:http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/wax-free-toilet-seal

I buy them at Ace Hardware.

Amen to that. *I'll never go back to the wax rings again. *I don't
think _anyone_ wouild return to wax rings after trying the waxless
once.

Harry K

I agree. *I'm going to try the "Fernco" brand next time to see if it
will fit. *My drain has a shallow sweep, so the Fluidmaster Wax-Free
Bowl Gasket would not seat (to long) deep enough.

Fluidmaster states not to trim it down as there is a chance of failure
or loss of the O-ring seal.- Hide quoted text -

I've never tried one, but there's one drawback I see with the wax-less
rings:

It appears that you can no longer set the bowl upright once it's
removed.

You always have to lie it down, right?

I usually squat over the toilet to pull it and carry it by shuffling
around. With the Fernco seal, I wouldn't be able to put it down flat,
would I? I'd have to set it at an angle while it's between my legs,
step over it and lie it down, right?

Seems cumbersome to say the least.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Excellent advice. He may be trying to fix the wrong problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 14:50:52 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:

If you're going to that much trouble, wait a week and see what shows
up on Craigslist. This is an excellent opportunity to upgrade the
fixture.

You don't want a crappy crapper.

True, but the 17" high job is so much better than the original 14".

My current squeeze often tells me she had no idea how much a difference an
additional three inches makes.

Now you're bragging again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The Fluidmater is not attached to the toilet horn by adhesive. The
bowl sets easily down (if you get the waxless seated).

Granted the Fernco waxless is stuck very well (guess) to the toilet
horn. That would require placing the bowl on its side - based a video
on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWw_-4j5YRw

Pick yer poison :-\

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I've been reading this list for several years.

Ditto

Can't say as I remember
anyone mentioning a toilet damaged by a closet auger.

Ditto

I did scratch a
toilet one time, using a regular drain snake.

Ditto.

A good closet auger has a sleeve, and a protector, so not to scratch
the bowl. About 2/3 of the way down the page is an illustration.
http://www.homerepairforum.com/forum...ow-draining-to
ilet.html

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"mcp6453" wrote in message

The toilet is slow to drain. I don't have a snake, and the guy at
Lowes told me
that the best solution is to remove it an clean it out. He said that
lots of toilets get damaged with snakes.

It's not really a money thing, but buying a $5 or less wax ring is
cheaper than
buying a snake that may or may not damage the porcelain on the 30-year
old toilet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Multidittos, Red!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I've been reading this list for several years.

Ditto

Can't say as I remember
anyone mentioning a toilet damaged by a closet auger.

Ditto

I did scratch a
toilet one time, using a regular drain snake.

Ditto.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Couple blocks to set it on cures that problem.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 9:19 am, Harry wrote:
On Jul 18, 6:18 am, wrote:

[...]

Here's the original link from the first person that posted it:

"About 2/3 of the way down the page is an illustration.
http://www.homerepairforum.com/forum...ng-toilet.html
"

I think this one will work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 9:19 am, Harry *wrote:
On Jul 18, 6:18 am, *wrote:

[...]

I still say that the OP should try the bucket test before he goes
shopping for plungers or closet augers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On Jul 18, 9:19 am, Harry *wrote:
On Jul 18, 6:18 am, *wrote:

[...]

http://www.homerepairforum.com/forum...w-draining-toi
l..

.
The link is broken.

Here's the original link from the first person that posted it:

"About 2/3 of the way down the page is an illustration.
* *http://www.homerepairforum.com/forum...low-draining-t

oil...
"

I think this one will work.

I still say that the OP should try the bucket test before he goes
shopping for plungers or closet augers.

Quick & dirty. No cost. You betcha.

Toilet wax ring Hank[_6_] Home Repair 26 January 22nd 12 10:05 PM
toilet: i am about to replace the wax ring samster Home Repair 3 August 28th 07 03:33 AM
Toilet Wax Ring twfsa Home Repair 6 April 15th 07 11:28 PM
New Toilet Ring? GoHabsGo Home Repair 3 October 4th 06 08:27 PM
New wax ring for toilet bowl? [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 5th 06 10:48 PM