Maytag Washer Transmission Problem???

Old February 28th 06, 11:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Maytag Washer Transmission Problem???

My Dependable Care Quiet Plus Maytag Washer (7 years old w/ porcelain
tub) sprang a leak. Called the local service guy who found out that
everything looks fine EXCEPT that the screws that hold the stem to
create the seal had spun around and chewed the threads on the
transmission. So now the stem will not tighten down properly to create
seal. The Maytag tech said he had never seen this problem before. It
seems that the screws backed out on their own and caused this problem.
He stated that the transmission still looks great but that I need a new
one because of the stripped threads and no way to tighten it down
properly.

Good news is that the transmission should be covered by the 10 year
parts warranty. Bad news is that the local guy wants between 200 and
250 dollars in labor to replace this transmission. On top of that will
be MY cost of the stem/boot seal kit. Probably around 65 dollars and
more labor. Does this sound right??? Is this a DIY job? If so,
does anyone know if Maytag would release this part under warranty for a
diy job?? Thanks for any input.

So I'm looking at over $300 dollars to repair a warrantied part for a
washer that cost $600 when new.

Old March 1st 06, 12:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Yes.

It is for some people.

Call them and ask.

The transmission is at the core of the washer and requires full
disassembly of the machine. Hopefully the tech would include both spin
bearings and gaskets and snubber ring on a 7 year old washer. Those
will fail next if he doesn't. You MIGHT be able to BUY all the
neccesary parts at the local parts house for the price of the techs
labor. He may still charge you for his time that is already invested if
you do that though.

Good luck.

Old March 1st 06, 01:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Throw the machine away and buy a new one at Lowes and pay $99 for a 4 year
extended warranty so you will not have any repair costs for 5 years. When
that machines fails repeat step 1.

oups.com...

Old March 1st 06, 09:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wow-they just don't make them like they used to.

my maytag washer & dryer are now 22 years old and going strong.
"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
Throw the machine away and buy a new one at Lowes and pay $99 for a 4 year
extended warranty so you will not have any repair costs for 5 years. When
that machines fails repeat step 1.

oups.com...

Old March 1st 06, 09:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Hi,

Bad news is that the local guy wants between 200 and
250 dollars in labor to replace this transmission.

Seems a bit high!

On top of that will
be MY cost of the stem/boot seal kit.

A new one comes with the tranny...might need the tub bearing ( a good
idea to do at the same time ).

Does this sound right???

Nope.

does anyone know if Maytag would release this part under warranty for a
diy job??

No they won't.

Is this a DIY job?

It can be, but you need a special spanner wrench to help the take apart
and put back together.

My Dependable Care Quiet Plus Maytag Washer (7 years old w/ porcelain
tub)

This is a "real" Maytag washer, worth spending some money on it!!

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/